Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well, we played hockey on into May in a season most had us 13th in the West.
Hockey was fun this season. Aggressive, more offensive styled, fun hockey.

We have a new player that can help carry a line in Evangelista.
We have a 2nd year player that showed he can play in Novak.
We played an entire season were we were not dependent on the goalie.
We had a season were our defenseman was nominated for the Norris and wasn't our leading scorer.
Filip Forsberg showed he can be a star winger.
Ryan O'Reilly was fantastic.

We have holes to fill. We still have too many tweeners upfront and bottom pairing guys on the back end.
We need size and speed. Lots more speed.

We have plenty of cap space, and plenty of talented youth.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
lets get hyped for the draft maybe we can make a deal to move up by packaging saros plus some other assets

NJD at 10 is a nice target

maybe

to NJD: Saros, Tomasino , 2024 1st

to Nash: NJD 1st, Mercer

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Personal opinions aside I’m just really interested to see what Trotz does this offseason. I don’t think any of us predicted the moves we made last year so I expect he has some surprises in store again.
I think he’s going to add at least 2 rookies to the roster and another vet, probably up front.

I think guys like Jankowski, Sheerwood, Bev, Csrrier, Zucker, will be replaced

Reactions: bdub24

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Fun season for sure.

It wasn't a rebuild, it wasn't a retool, it was a reculture. It laid out expectations for years to come. Evangelista was the biggest beneficiary of this.

We need to replace guys like McCarron, Jankowski, Smith and Sherwood in the lineup. We need to add high end talent up front.

It'll be interesting to see what the kids do in Milwaukee during the playoffs. If they learn to win together down there, that hopefully transitions to the NHL.

I think that bodes well for the line of Svechkov, ZLH and Kemell. I think the ship has sailed on Tomasino and Glass. Not sure where Pars fits.

We need to add some youth to the back end too. While Stastney appears to have a spot moving forward along with Molendyke, adding some size with teeth back there would be a welcome addition.

I have very mixed feelings about guys having great seasons and kind of being wasted away like Forsberg and Nyquist. At the same time, we didn't have the necessary secondary scoring needed to succeed.

I'll go back to my original statement, fun season and it got me excited to tune in to watch this team again. Excited for what the future holds, even though there's a certain amount of uncertainty around it.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
I'am old so this is what I have seen in hockey yr. in , and yr. out . Novak a cheap version of Pettersson. Pettersson a cheap version of Gretzky, get you into the playoffs. they then get rubbed out in the playoffs. Players like Messier thrive in the physical nature of the playoffs , and win you Lord Stanley's Cup.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The team needs a middle six that contributes and an upgrade on the blueline.

The Forsberg, RoR, Nyquist line did what was needed. They put up a total of 98 goals. Counting on them to do that again next season is a hell of a risk and drives roster decisions over the summer.

Smith, McCarron, Sherwood averaged 10 goals apiece ... 9, 12, 10 respectively. They are easy targets but not the problem. Ideally we find the right pieces either internally or on the market to slide Jankowski and/or Sissons down to the 4th line with the likely departure of Sherwood ... a group of four that can eat PK minutes, play physically, still chip in a few goals, and have the temperament to be the 13th forward if needed.

Novak, Evangalista, Sissons combined for 49 goals ... none of them surpassed 45 points individually. Sequential questions are does Trotz find a way to extend Zucker? ... who does the team acquire this off season between trades and free agency?... then which of the guys in Milwaukee can make the jump next fall? ... from there Bruno can figure out how he restructures the top nine next season. Nyquist wasn't expected to step up to the top line and put up a career year and him doing so again next season isn't a wise assumption. Svechkov, Kemell, Afanasyev, Pärssinen all project to be in the mix for spots.

The blueline lacks size overall, especially with talent and haven't really had that combo since trading away S. Weber. We have Schenn as the one big defender who can play physical in the low slot. Lauzon has size but just doesn't play that gritty down low game, going for hits on the boards instead. Vancouver, Vegas, Dallas, even Seattle all have massive humanoids on their blueline, with a few who can skate, pass, and shoot. We're unlikely to find a hidden stash of Hakanpää or Zadonov size creatures but with Josi, Carrier, Fabbro, Stastney topping out at 6'1 and barely over 200 ... McD at 6'1, 215 we lack bulk back there to block shots, fight for (then clear) rebounds, and make life better for whomever is in goal.

Saros is a huge question mark. He wasn't going to move at the TDL this season with just too few potential buyers (fewer that could absorb the cap hit) and the Preds still in the hunt. Heading into the draft is another question.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'am old so this is what I have seen in hockey yr. in , and yr. out . Novak a cheap version of Pettersson. Pettersson a cheap version of Gretzky, get you into the playoffs. they then get rubbed out in the playoffs. Players like Messier thrive in the physical nature of the playoffs , and win you Lord Stanley's Cup.
Gretzky? I know Messier gets this weird rep because of that Rangers run, but Gretzky had something like 380 points in 200 playoff games. Also won 2 Conn Smythes. I know offensive numbers were crazier back then, but come on.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
In all honesty I’d like to upgrade Fabbro, Carrier, Schenn and Lauzon. None of them are hard to replace
Schenn's contract makes him difficult to move. Carrier might be gone via free agency anyway. That leaves Lauzon and Fabbro.

If Matier or Prokop can can bulk into their height and develop that down low game we might have one piece of the puzzle ... but this organization has been trying to find that big blueliner in the draft since its first defender selected (Sauer at 6'3, 230 by the time he was done) and few have panned out.

Gretzky? I know Messier gets this weird rep because of that Rangers run, but Gretzky had something like 380 points in 200 playoff games. I know offensive numbers were crazier back then, but come on.

May as well try to keep Blutarsky from ranting about the Germans at Pearl Harbor. 79-80 was the only season Gretzky wasn't a better than point per game player in the playoffs ... only exactly a point per game. I'd love for any of our players to get rubbed out TO a point per game level of performance ... but his perception will never align with cold fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
Gretzky? I know Messier gets this weird rep because of that Rangers run, but Gretzky had something like 380 points in 200 playoff games. Also won 2 Conn Smythes. I know offensive numbers were crazier back then, but come on.
Gretzky never won a Stanley Cup without Messier. Messier won six Stanley cups ! I brought this up because I watched in person Mark will his team past the unlead Gretzky LA Kings . Mark was on the ice when ever Gretzky was he shut Gretz down , smashed him down, and turned Gretz into a turtle the whole series . I was like everyone else a Gretzky fan until then when I saw Mess. Gretz was a slow skater, Mes could fly, Gretz was weak , Mess is one the strongest NHL players ever, Head to head no comparison . Mark won two Conn Smythes also , Messier was already called Messiah way before the Edmonton native was traded to the Rangers.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
Schenn's contract makes him difficult to move. Carrier might be gone via free agency anyway. That leaves Lauzon and Fabbro.

If Matier or Prokop can can bulk into their height and develop that down low game we might have one piece of the puzzle ... but this organization has been trying to find that big blueliner in the draft since its first defender selected (Sauer at 6'3, 230 by the time he was done) and few have panned out.

May as well try to keep Blutarsky from ranting about the Germans at Pearl Harbor. 79-80 was the only season Gretzky wasn't a better than point per game player in the playoffs ... only exactly a point per game. I'd love for any of our players to get rubbed out TO a point per game level of performance ... but his perception will never align with cold fact.

Talking about championships not regular season stats bird watcher

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Gretzky never won a Stanley Cup without Messier. Messier won six Stanley cups ! I brought this up because I watched in person Mark will his team past the unlead Gretzky LA Kings . Mark was on the ice when ever Gretzky was he shut Gretz down , smashed him down, and turned Gretz into a turtle the whole series . I was like everyone else a Gretzky fan until then when I saw Mess. Gretz was a slow skater, Mes could fly, Gretz was weak , Mess is one the strongest NHL players ever, Head to head no comparison . Mark won two Conn Smythes also , Messier was already called Messiah way before the Edmonton native was traded to the Rangers.

Noting I mentioned about Gretzky was regular season based hence the words "in the playoffs".

Claiming that Messier shut down Gretzky in the post season is extremely hit or miss depending on which playoff series. 89 saw Gretzky light up the Oilers in the playoffs with 13 points in the series ... Messier playing in all the games. 90 Gretzky was kept quiet. 91 he was just below a point per game with 5 points in 6 games. Your perception and blanket statements simply don't hold up. I await your next attempt at attacking me rather than staying on the topic at hand.

ETA:
Stanley Cup is capitalized, both words. If you're going to pretend that is the basis of your rant then show the trophy its due respect.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
Noting I mentioned about Gretzky was regular season based hence the words "in the playoffs".

Claiming that Messier shut down Gretzky in the post season is extremely hit or miss depending on which playoff series. 89 saw Gretzky light up the Oilers in the playoffs with 13 points in the series ... Messier playing in all the games. 90 Gretzky was kept quiet. 91 he was just below a point per game with 5 points in 6 games. Your perception and blanket statements simply don't hold up. I await your next attempt at attacking me rather than staying on the topic at hand.

ETA:
Stanley Cup is capitalized, both words. If you're going to pretend that is the basis of your rant then show the trophy its due respect.
My statement does exactly hold up. Gretzky never won a stanley cup lol without Messier, Messier won 6 cups if you can not grasp that thats not my problem. I ment it as a positive that Novak plays similar , but in the playoffs Gretzky production shot down.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Before this thread gets even sillier (GRETZKY? We’re talking about GRETZKY?), I’d like to thank all of you for another fun year of Pred talk. I don’t post a lot, but I’ve been visiting the site basically daily for almost 19 years. I’m glad it’s a small community and we don’t have 80 page GDTs. It allows me to get quick analysis that is, frankly, better than what we get locally and certainly nationally from the folks who get paid do it. I’m very grateful. And I still desperately miss Pred303’s post-game wrap-ups. He was and always will be the best this board ever had. Would have loved his take on this season.

Go Preds

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
My statement does exactly hold up. Gretzky never won a stanley cup lol without Messier, Messier won 6 cups if you can not grasp that thats not my problem. I ment it as a positive that Novak plays similar , but in the playoffs Gretzky production shot down.

More moving goalposts. Claim that Novak is a cheap version of a cheap version of Gretzky who allegedly got "rubbed out" in the playoffs while he averaged over 1.83 points per game in the post season for his NHL career. When that gets pointed out, change the position to invoke Messier playing against Gretzky and a claim that he magically shut down Gretzky in the playoffs when that happened in just one of three series against each other, ignoring the series where Gretzky put up 13 points in 7 games while the Kings eliminated the OIlers. Then you try to shift the point yet again to try to invoke Messier winning the Stanley Cup without Gretzky.

Then there is the fact that nothing in Novak's game comes close to Messier or Gretzky. He lacks the physicality of Mark or the finesse of Gretzky ... hence the reason why he's a late developing middle six forward with inconsistent results throughout his limited time in the NHL.

Grasping what you post is what makes it so clear that you choose to move goalposts rather than present a cogent, defensible point that in any way pertains to the Predators or its roster.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
More moving goalposts. Claim that Novak is a cheap version of a cheap version of Gretzky who allegedly got "rubbed out" in the playoffs while he averaged over 1.83 points per game in the post season for his NHL career. When that gets pointed out, change the position to invoke Messier playing against Gretzky and a claim that he magically shut down Gretzky in the playoffs when that happened in just one of three series against each other, ignoring the series where Gretzky put up 13 points in 7 games while the Kings eliminated the OIlers. Then you try to shift the point yet again to try to invoke Messier winning the Stanley Cup without Gretzky.

Then there is the fact that nothing in Novak's game comes close to Messier or Gretzky. He lacks the physicality of Mark or the finesse of Gretzky ... hence the reason why he's a late developing middle six forward with inconsistent results throughout his limited time in the NHL.

Grasping what you post is what makes it so clear that you choose to move goalposts rather than present a cogent, defensible point that in any way pertains to the Predators or its roster.

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
No you are wrong once again . Gretzky would physically fold in the playoffs it was not his fault because how frail he was. Messier thrived in the playoffs !

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
Incredible. So obsessed with GRIT that you've made it up in your head that Gretzky wasn't a playoff performer.
My statement had nothing to with grit, and had to do with time and space. Players like Novak , and Petterson are very creative players that game does not translate well to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad