Top 31 Goalies Ranking: Tournament Style - Elimination Round 1

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Somebody did forwards and I'm doing defensemen, so I figured let's just do goalies as well.

But I wanna do this one different. I find that when you start at the top, people lose interest as you get to worse and worse players, and the add votes stop coming in.

So no adds, I've just lined up the 31 starters.

In this poll, you will eliminate the five WORST goaltenders to bring us toi 25

Then once we're down to sixteen, you have a choice, detailed below.

Group Eliminations: This means we continue as we were going. I line up the top 16 and you eliminate 8, then you eliminate 4 in the next poll, then 2, then 1.

Pro: We'll get this wrapped up quick and maybe get a more accurate ranking.

Con: Head-to-head battles might be really fun.

Bracket elimination: Once we're at 16, I match them up 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, etc. and we go head-to-head all the way like the playoffs, with re-seeding.

Pro: Head-to-head battles might be really fun.

Con: It'll take longer and get cluttered.

So when you post, please submit a vote for Group or Bracket.

I've got 31 here, so give me a few minutes for the poll to be up. :laugh:

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
This was really tough! The only obvious one to me was Markstrom

Brando

May 21, 2017
Voted Darling, Varlamov, Mrazek, Halak and Markstrom.

I'll vote for Group elims

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Accidentally forgot Markstrom.

I chose 7 actually, Halak, Varly, Markstrom (though the vote isn't there), Mrazek, Smith, Elliott, Mason.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Not to tell you how to do your polls but - why not when you get to 16 simply start eliminating 1 at a time? (or even only when you reach top 10). Eliminating 8, 4 or even 2 at a time in the top 10 seems overkill, I think doing it 1 by 1 is better.

The Bracket elimination could be fun but how do you select whose 1 vs whose 16? ie having Price and Holtby in round 1 seems silly.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Went with Mason and Mrazak along with Markstrom/Darling/Raanta until they prove to be starters.

Varlamov is still good just had zero help last year, Smith finally gets out of Arizona and behind some decent defenders, Lehner puts up good numbers, and just have a feeling Halak has a good year.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Went with Mrazek, Markstrom, Darling, Elliott, and Lehner, but it was pretty difficult to choose five.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's funny how perception is vs reality.

Last 3 years SV% .918:

Elliot
Mason
Rask
Quick
Lehner
Fleury

.917: Lundqvist, F.Anderson

.916: Rinne

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Of the players listed, the ones with the worst save percentage in the last 2 seasons combined:

Varlamov .909
Marzak .911
Mason .913
Rinne .913

And Martin Jones, Rask, Lundquist, Smith, Lehner all come in poorly with a .915 save percentage.

As for GAA,
The bottom 5 is Varlamov, Smith, Marazk, Vasilevskiy and Lehner.

So statistically, the conclusion is
Varlamov, Marzak, Lehner, Vasilevskiy and Smith, are all bottom 5. Mason and Lundquist are bad goalie's as well.

Aids the theory that vasi is running on hype...

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
you can't rely solely on averaging out sv% and gaa

Rinne has a top 2 vezina finish in past 3 years. Arguably a top 2 smythe finish last year too. At first glance that's better then likely 20-25 goalies on the list. Maybe not super consistent in between, but that's still better than bottom tier goalies who never accomplished much.

Lundqvist had a bad season last year (his worst ever maybe) - but rebounded with very strong playoffs. Very consistent every year before that.

just looking at averages over 2-3 year doesn't tell the whole story.

As for Valarmov. He played behind a pretty horrible defense, while injured last year. He's 3 years removed from a top 2 vezina/top 4 hart season.

So he's also better than the likes of guys who have yet to ever really accomplish anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad