Top 20 Prospects of years past

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
For a #3 Overall draft pick, Bogosian didn't live up to expectations
At #10 Overall, Burmistrov was a bust.
Only Kane (#4 Overall) has had a decent career.
Sometimes high picks bust. Atlanta was definitely under pressure to rush their shiny new prospects right into the lineup - and that probably hurt them. The scouts also may have been instructed to look for the most NHL-ready guys, so they may have made different choices than if the focus was on highest ceiling.

Reactions: voyageur

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Sometimes high picks bust. Atlanta was definitely under pressure to rush their shiny new prospects right into the lineup - and that probably hurt them. The scouts also may have been instructed to look for the most NHL-ready guys, so they may have made different choices than if the focus was on highest ceiling.

I don't think any sort of handling would have kept Burmi from being a bust. The boy's elevator just doesn't go to the penthouse, and it's hard to imagine how that wouldn't have come through if the team had done proper due diligence before deciding to draft him.

Bogo was simply not committed to enhancing his capability for elite athletic performance. Nuff said.

Kane failed here because we're a racist city. My God, a whiteout?!!! Could it be more blatant? :sarcasm:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I was explaining why the list looked worse that it actually was. No one knew at the time that Burmi and Bogo wouldn't turn out to be very good.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was explaining why the list looked worse that it actually was. No one knew at the time that Burmi and Bogo wouldn't turn out to be very good.

I think both were rushed. Kane probably was too. None of those guys should have been playing in the NHL in their D+1. Especially Burmi, who was barely a PPG player in his draft year in the OHL. Kid should have stayed there for another season at the very least, likely AHL time. Kane and Bogo should have been sent back for another season as well. Atlanta absolutely botched their development.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Even worse - Burmi was #8 OA.
If we had just taken the players who came next we would have got; Pietrangelo, Brayden Schenn and Michael Granlund, FWIW.

Edit: Had we done that, we probably finish a little higher and don't get the players we did in subsequent years.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Even worse - Burmi was #8 OA.
If we had just taken the players who came next we would have got; Pietrangelo, Brayden Schenn and Michael Granlund, FWIW.

Edit: Had we done that, we probably finish a little higher and don't get the players we did in subsequent years.
Never underestimate the ineptitude of an organization. Look at Edmonton. They have had four #1 overall picks, and still are horrible.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Never underestimate the ineptitude of an organization. Look at Edmonton. They have had four #1 overall picks, and still are horrible.
In all fairness. #1 pick are no brainers It’s not the selection process but how to develop the players that Oilers are really bad
I’m sure any team would have pick those four exact players as well with #1 overall pick including the Jets if they had the chance

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Is saying I wouldn't pick Trouba because I wouldn't want all this drama silly? If we had picked Forsberg or another one of the guys who went in that 1st rd would they still want out right now? I don't know.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
In all fairness. #1 pick are no brainers It’s not the selection process but how to develop the players that Oilers are really bad
I’m sure any team would have pick those four exact players as well with #1 overall pick including the Jets if they had the chance
Yakupov would have been a bust anywhere he went.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think all were consensus picks - although there were some questioning YAK from well before the draft.

In the case of the others, it was a collection of things. Most #1 OA picks don't require a lot of development. They do require decent teammates to play with and behind them. Oilers have failed to provide that. They also got impatient and made a lot of bad trades of good players who were not 1st OA and didn't play like they were.

In defense of the Oilers (just a bit), they had 1st OA in a couple of years when that 1st was not all that great. RNH was the right player to take 1st, but he has been only good, not great. The '12 draft was not a strong class, but there were plenty of better picks than Yak. Like I said before though, he was the most highly rated player at the time. He shouldn't have been. I don't blame Oilers development for him. I blame their scouting.

If they had just kept the players they drafted instead of trading them away, they would have a much better team than they do now. IMHO.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think all were consensus picks - although there were some questioning YAK from well before the draft.

In the case of the others, it was a collection of things. Most #1 OA picks don't require a lot of development. They do require decent teammates to play with and behind them. Oilers have failed to provide that. They also got impatient and made a lot of bad trades of good players who were not 1st OA and didn't play like they were.

In defense of the Oilers (just a bit), they had 1st OA in a couple of years when that 1st was not all that great. RNH was the right player to take 1st, but he has been only good, not great. The '12 draft was not a strong class, but there were plenty of better picks than Yak. Like I said before though, he was the most highly rated player at the time. He shouldn't have been. I don't blame Oilers development for him. I blame their scouting.

If they had just kept the players they drafted instead of trading them away, they would have a much better team than they do now. IMHO.
I heard a rumor that the Oilers scouting department wanted to choose Ryan Murray, but we're overruled by Katz.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
As well as the Jets have done in the first and later rounds (4-7) there are a lot of swings and misses in the second round. Don't forget that for the first couple of years Chevy traded more picks than he acquired. Moved up to pick Zach Yuen and never signed him. I'd like to see a deep dive into the drafting this team has done. There's been some real inspired picks in Schieffle, Trouba, Morrissey, Vesalainen. Some great luck Laine (lottery), Conner (fell to the Jets and Boston passed on 3 picks in a row), Ehlers. Stanley, Sutter, Petan, Comrie not so good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As well as the Jets have done in the first and later rounds (4-7) there are a lot of swings and misses in the second round. Don't forget that for the first couple of years Chevy traded more picks than he acquired. Moved up to pick Zach Yuen and never signed him. I'd like to see a deep dive into the drafting this team has done. There's been some real inspired picks in Schieffle, Trouba, Morrissey, Vesalainen. Some great luck Laine (lottery), Conner (fell to the Jets and Boston passed on 3 picks in a row), Ehlers. Stanley, Sutter, Petan, Comrie not so good.

Getting a play driving 60 point player at the 9th overall pick in Ehlers is pretty darn good value.

The second round picks haven't been a strength though. I still think Petan would have been a good player if given a proper opportunity but that ship has sailed.

Reactions: GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
An update of the all-time 1st-10th ranked prospects from 2011-2019:

#1: Scheifele, Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Vesalainen, Vesalainen
#2: Klingberg, Trouba, Scheifele, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Connor, Roslovic, Niku, Samberg
#3: Cormier, Telegin, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Morrisey, Hellebuyck, Vesalainen, Appleton, Heinola
#4: Postma, Postma, Lowry, Petan, Petan, Morrissey, Niku, Samberg, Niku
#5: Gregoire, Machacek, Redmond, Hutchinson, Connor, Petan, Poolman, Gustafsson, TBD
#6: Telegin, Cormier, Petan, Kosmachuk, Armia, Roslovic, Comrie, Lemieux, TBD
#7: O'Dell, Klingberg, Postma, Lowry, Roslovic, Armia, Spacek, Spacek, TBD
#8: Maxwell, Pasquale, O'Dell, O'Dell, Harkins, Lemieux, Harkins, Stanley, TBD
#9: Machacek, Sutter, Hellebuyck, Comrie, Comrie, Comrie, Samberg, Green, TBD
#10: Kulda, Lowry, Telegin, Glover, Chiarot, Stanley, Stanley, Berdin, TBD

I'll keep it updated as we roll through the polls this summer...

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
An update of the all-time 1st-10th ranked prospects from 2011-2019:

#1: Scheifele, Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Vesalainen, Vesalainen
#2: Klingberg, Trouba, Scheifele, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Connor, Roslovic, Niku, Samberg
#3: Cormier, Telegin, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Morrisey, Hellebuyck, Vesalainen, Appleton, TBD (Heinola or Niku)
#4: Postma, Postma, Lowry, Petan, Petan, Morrissey, Niku, Samberg, TBD
#5: Gregoire, Machacek, Redmond, Hutchinson, Connor, Petan, Poolman, Gustafsson, TBD
#6: Telegin, Cormier, Petan, Kosmachuk, Armia, Roslovic, Comrie, Lemieux, TBD
#7: O'Dell, Klingberg, Postma, Lowry, Roslovic, Armia, Spacek, Spacek, TBD
#8: Maxwell, Pasquale, O'Dell, O'Dell, Harkins, Lemieux, Harkins, Stanley, TBD
#9: Machacek, Sutter, Hellebuyck, Comrie, Comrie, Comrie, Samberg, Green, TBD
#10: Kulda, Lowry, Telegin, Glover, Chiarot, Stanley, Stanley, Berdin, TBD

I'll keep it updated as we roll through the polls this summer...

I miss the tables and graphs that were used before the new software was implemented in 2017. Much easier to read.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I miss the tables and graphs that were used before the new software was implemented in 2017. Much easier to read.
I don't think that particular one was ever in a table. But I have tables...they paste in pretty easy from a spreadsheet.

Here's 2011:

RKPlayer Prev. Outcome
1ScheifeleNewTop-3-F
2KlingbergATLBust
3CormierATLBust
4PostmaATLTweener
5GregoireNewBust
6TeleginATLBust
7O'DellATLBust
8MaxwellATLBust
9MachacekATLBust
10KuldaATLBust
11RedmondATLTweener
12SaponariNewBust
13MelchioriATLBust
14Petterson-WentzelATLBust
15LeveilleATLBust
16LowryNewMiddle-6-F
17ServilleNewBust
18Samuels-ThomasNewBust
19AlbertATLBust
20YuenNewBust
------------------------------------------
NRPasqualeNRBust
NRSolNRBust
NRBrassardNRBust
NRChiarotNRBottom-Pair-D
NRKuldaNRBust
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In the first few years, we didn't vote past the Top 20. The players below the line were not ranked in 2011 but appeared on later lists.

The outcomes are:
Top-3-F
Middle-6-F
Bottom-6-F
Top-Pair-D
Mid-Pair-D
Bottom-Pair-D
Tweener
Probable-Bust
Bust

I guess Redmond and Postma each played a season in the NHL with no AHL games, but they're still Tweeners in my books. BTW: Redmond turns 31 in a couple of weeks...if you weren't feeling old enough already. ;)

Reactions: Jets4Life

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan is an interesting case. His rankings over the years ..

#6, #4, #4, #5

At various times he's ranked ahead of Connor, Hellebuyck, Copp, Lowry, Armia, Roslovic.

Did the Jets develop him poorly, or did we overestimate him, or both? Or maybe it's still too early to tell?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

#6, #4, #4, #5

At various times he's ranked ahead of Connor, Hellebuyck, Copp, Lowry, Armia, Roslovic.

Did the Jets develop him poorly, or did we overestimate him, or both? Or maybe it's still too early to tell?

Jets did nothing wrong with Petan. He just could not cut it in the NHL, and in spite of the Petan fans insistance that he will prosper with another team, he was in the pressbox for the Leafs. Jets fans overrated Petan. Even in his WHL days, he peaked in his draft year, then produced less and less, ending in 2014-15. He is going to be a journeyman 4th line player.

Petan should seriously look at going to the KHL or Europe. Nigel Dawes is an example of what Petan can become. Dawes played very good for Canada in World Junior, but could no do much in the NHL due to his lack of size. He excelled in the KHL, and has become one of the top players in the league over the past decade.

Last edited:

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Jets did nothing wrong with Petan. He just could not cut it in the NHL, and in spite of the Petan fans insistance that he will prosper with another team, he was in the pressbox for the Leafs. Jets fans overrated Petan. Even in his WHL days, he peaked in his draft year, then produced less and less, ending in 2014-15. He is going to be a journeyman 4th line player.

Petan should seriously look at going to the KHL or Europe. Nigel Dawes is an example of what Petan can become. Dawes played very good for Canada in World Junior, but could no do much in the NHL due to his lack of size. He excelled in the KHL, and has become one of the top players in the league over the past decade.
Agree totally. Never got the love for Petan or even Dano that matter. The Jets management team is pretty good at evaluating talent. So I'll take their position for the most part.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

#6, #4, #4, #5

Maybe both. I'm pretty sure the Jets dropped the ball with him to some extent.

ello

Jun 12, 2018

Jeremy Morin is another player with a similar-ish career path who comes to mind. Blackhawk fans were convinced Coach Q had it in for him, I remember the #FreeMorin trend being a thing. Turns out the kid just isn't cut out for the NHL, for whatever reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad