Top 15 prospects

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Curious why people have McAvoy a lot for 1st, especially over Vatrano based on what we've seen. I didn't get to watch any of camp, but did McAvoy really surprise that much? If so, I'm pumped.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Curious why people have McAvoy a lot for 1st, especially over Vatrano based on what we've seen. I didn't get to watch any of camp, but did McAvoy really surprise that much? If so, I'm pumped.

With McAvoy it wasn't camp, where it sounded like he flashed his skills but didn't really dominate.

It is the body of his prospect work to date. His raw offensive tools. He was drafted where he was with the believe that he would be a top pairing offensive defenseman.

Vatrano had an unbelievable season last year, but he had a spotty at best record coming up through the college ranks, and his physical tools are not high end. There is also some question as to whether Vatrano should still be on prospect lists as he is no longer a rookie

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Vatrano is great, but McAvoy was the youngest player in the NCAA last year (will be one of the youngest this year too) and was one of the best players on a really good BU team. He's only 18, Vatrano is 22. McAvoy has a much higher ceiling, top-pairing potential. We'll see if he gets there but he has great potential.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Do you think that Zboril will be a bust or will be bounce back after a bad year? Many players have that down year and recover but not ever seeing him play I personally have no idea so I'm asking you.
It would be pretty ****** disappointing if he doesn't pan out but it happens.

I think it's a possibility but I'm not trying to say he will bust by where I ranked him. For context, I think the guy right behind him is a lock for an NHL job in the next two years so that speaks to the depth of the system.

Fwiw, I thought he had a good camp, not great but good, solid. And I know his role changed to more of a defensive one last year so this isn't about him having a bad year or a bad camp. I just... think his upside isn't what it was. When he was drafted, he was billed as a #2 type. I didn't see that (at all) at camp last year and this time around he looked better but still not dynamic enough to be a #2 like a Shattenkirk. I think he projects as an Oduya type right now. I also see moments where the drive isn't as high as you'd like it to be. That was really evident last year and this time around you only saw glimpses of it so hopefully it's something he's working to overcome. He has the head, so we'll see.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

It wasn't so much that he surprised, it was just the physical tools and mental approach he had. He's big, he's fast, he's aggressive (both physically and offensively), he wants the puck and he wants to be a difference maker.

It's like when Hamilton went to his first camp, he wasn't the best player there, but you could see he had the highest upside and the most impressive set of physical tools (and vision).

McAvoy looks like he's going to be a stud, and clearly has the highest upside of any prospect in the system.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Guys I would absolutely put in the Top 15

McAvoy
Senyshyn
Zboril
Carlo
Heinen
Vatrano
Subban
O'Gara

After that it's a total crapshoot. Their are probably another 15 guys you can make a solid case for belonging in Boston's Top 15 prospects.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Thanks for the responses guys. I definitely think he has the potential.

Happy to see people having Heinen and Senyshyn so high. Would love to see some surprises this year out of camp.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Imlove Vatrano but not as much as you guys. He is definely a shooter...but Im gonna wait and see if he actually hits top 6. The guys Im most expecting to crack Top 6/4 are:

McAvoy
Carlo
Heinen
Senyshyn
Zboril

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Imlove Vatrano but not as much as you guys. He is definely a shooter...but Im gonna wait and see if he actually hits top 6. The guys Im most expecting to crack Top 6/4 are:

McAvoy
Carlo
Heinen
Senyshyn
Zboril

If you could have any 3 guys in last 3 drafts excluding Pasta

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ive been collecting hockey news future watch for at least 25 years... got mckeens and sports forecaster for 10-15 years

i find it fun to go back and check how accurate their lists are. i was lucky enough to participate as a judge here at hockey futures back around 99-2000 i think... my grading wasnt any more accurate than hockey news or anyone else i saw

what i learnt?

if we invest out time in this we can all learn the top names... if we are gifted scouts and watch alot of minor hockey we can offer our own opinions... but even the real team doesnt get this right more than 50% of the time.

teams will trade away many prospects that go on to play in nhl... trade for guys who fail to make cut... invest time into total busts

you see teams give up on guys like marty st louis or johnny boychuck or antoine rousell

how many people remember that ken dryden was a bruin property... or reggie leach..,

even 3 years into a career chicago gives up esposito... vancouver dumps cam neely... detroit gives away adam oates.

theres no such thing as coming to a concensus on draft picks or prospects because no one is right more than half the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad