Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread (Citizens on Patrol)

Where is your list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think you are being too much of a curmudgeon if that's how you took the post, unless there is a long history of disrespect from Danny that I'm not privy to, but that doesn't appear to be the case from what I've seen.

....maybe I'm too sensitive to it after listening to a couple too many episodes of that podcast, but joking about how much hockey sucked back in the old days just doesn't sit well with me

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Just got back from lunch, and loved reading the latest comments. I'm used to 20-somethings who can't name three players from 50 years ago saying Orr would be a second pairing defenseman on a contending team today, so I can relate. I just like having a little fun now and then. I really don't want things to look like "Star Wars vs Star Trek" ComicCon flame wars (for the record, I've never seen one... I've only heard of such things).

And yes, things will get more "direct" (and hopefully respectful) during the debates, especially when two people who favour two different eras debate Bill Cook vs Peter Forsberg or something like that.

And my view on the eras... it's not that one is necessarily so much better, it's that one is so much different than another.

...and I like old-timey youtube clips.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Just got back from lunch, and loved reading the latest comments. I'm used to 20-somethings who can't name three players from 50 years ago saying Orr would be a second pairing defenseman on a contending team today, so I can relate. I just like having a little fun now and then. I really don't want things to look like "Star Wars vs Star Trek" ComicCon flame wars (for the record, I've never seen one... I've only heard of such things).

And yes, things will get more "direct" (and hopefully respectful) during the debates, especially when two people who favour two different eras debate Bill Cook vs Peter Forsberg or something like that.

And my view on the eras... it's not that one is necessarily so much better, it's that one is so much different than another.

...and I like old-timey youtube clips.

The best thing about HOH projects is that the most contentious debates often lead to the most positive interactions going forward after the project concludes.

With that in mind, I think I’ll be making a lot of new friends when you all see what I did to Viacheslav Fetisov.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Two other potential controversial placements.

Does anyone have either player higher than me?

Brett Hull - 44
Ron Francis - 66

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Two other potential controversial placements.

Does anyone have either player higher than me?

Brett Hull - 44
Ron Francis - 66
I have Hull at 46 (so virtually the same, and yes I think there will be much debate). Ron Francis did not make my final list (although he was there in a previous draft).

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Similar to Danny G, I have Hull further down and Ron Francis missed all together, but not by a ton. He was ever officially on my list but was the next highest rank forward of that era to be considered, just ahead of Gilmour.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I have Brett in the 70s and Ron came in right at 100.

I have stated in the past that I may underrate Brett.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
As much as people’s rankings, I am curious about people’s methods.

Did anyone else isolate the players from the 120 whose full careers you have witnessed first-hand to ensure that the order of that particular set matches up with your eyes?

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Did anyone else isolate the players from the 120 whose full careers you have witnessed first-hand to ensure that the order of that particular set matches up with your eyes?
Broke them into position and era, then ranked each group individually. Then populated the final list from those collective lists.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I looked at how I felt about players who covered multiple generations against my read on players of the generations I was ranking. It was to a degree easier for the DPE - modern since I had a lot of experience watching in those eras.

So when I'm ranking a guy like Jagr, I look at how he performed post-lockout and realized "this dude is pretty damn good". I don't really remember his first few seasons (I followed hockey but not closely at the time) and formed relative rankings from that. Then I kind of trace it back.

One of the conclusions I came to is that most generational arguments (unless they feature a real ground-shift in league rules) don't really lead me to different results in the quality of players IMO. Being great in the 70s is worth as much as being great in the 00s.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

I've actually attempted similar projects on my own (although no where near this extent) in years past... plus years of reading TSN lists and even a couple of Stan Fischler's Top 100 books in the 1980's.

Armed with that, I just started typing names down as I thought of them. Eventually, I had to research the pre-06 era harder, which added several names. Then, I had to compare the European (specifically old Soviet players) to my list, which moved things around further.

The first 25 or so never changed that much (particularly the top 10), but eventually I just started comparing players to players ahead of them, seeing if they should move up. I did this through probably 20 drafts in total (maybe 30) until I was able to look at the list and not feel compelled to move anyone else around.

If we had another month, I may have gone through another several drafts, although the top 30 or so would likely be set.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I've actually attempted similar projects on my own (although no where near this extent) in years past... plus years of reading TSN lists and even a couple of Stan Fischler's Top 100 books in the 1980's.

Armed with that, I just started typing names down as I thought of them. Eventually, I had to research the pre-06 era harder, which added several names. Then, I had to compare the European (specifically old Soviet players) to my list, which moved things around further.

The first 25 or so never changed that much (particularly the top 10), but eventually I just started comparing players to players ahead of them, seeing if they should move up. I did this through probably 20 drafts in total (maybe 30) until I was able to look at the list and not feel compelled to move anyone else around.

If we had another month, I may have gone through another several drafts, although the top 30 or so would likely be set.
Yeah I got really busy at work (80+ hour weeks lately) so I had to shelve my list. I would have probably gone through 3-4 more iterations if I had my druthers. At the same time, this will allow me to be more pliable in the Round 2 discussions since there are a few rankings I know I would change in hindsight (Richard at #5 for instance).

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Yeah I got really busy at work (80+ hour weeks lately) so I had to shelve my list. I would have probably gone through 3-4 more iterations if I had my druthers. At the same time, this will allow me to be more pliable in the Round 2 discussions since there are a few rankings I know I would change in hindsight (Richard at #5 for instance).
I probably had roughly 150 names in total through all my drafts. There were many who were eventually pushed past the 120 mark.

I have to admit that a lot of my initial placements were based more on "feel", then I did the research afterwards to see if their resumes matched my impression of where they should go.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

It was by position. So I had something like

D : Orr, Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom (...)
W : Howe, Hull, Richard, Jagr (...)
C : Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Crosby (...)
G : Roy, Hasek, Plante, Brodeur (...)

1 - Who is the best between Orr, Howe, Greztky and Roy? Greztky
2 - Who is the best between Orr, Howe, Lemieux and Roy? Orr
3 - Who is the best between Harvey, Howe, Lemieux and Roy? Howe
4 - Who is the best between Harvey, Hull, Lemieux and Roy? Lemieux

(up until 120).

Probably not the best way to do it, but possibly the best way to not get completely mad around mid-point, and should've been foolproof against omissions (Joliat missing was a C+P gone wrong)

That's for the process.

Last edited:

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
No. It was not very difficult for a couple of others to provide some rather elementary examples of why it was absolutely incorrect to just subtract one player's plus/minus from another.

You know, it's ok to admit you made a mistake. We can all see that you did. It looks worse when you just double down on it.

I don't usually agree with seventieslord on things [mod], but I have to agree with you on this. There is no way to know unless you had box scores from every game that season that Orr and Esposito were always on the ice at all times to know if those numbers are correct or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It was by position. So I had something like

D : Orr, Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom (...)
W : Howe, Hull, Richard, Jagr (...)
C : Gretzky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Crosby (...)
G : Roy, Hasek, Plante, Brodeur (...)

1 - Who is the best between Orr, Howe, Greztky and Roy? Greztky
2 - Who is the best between Orr, Howe, Lemieux and Roy? Orr
3 - Who is the best between Harvey, Howe, Lemieux and Roy? Howe
4 - Who is the best between Harvey, Hull, Lemieux and Roy? Lemieux

(up until 120).

Probably not the best way to do it, but possibly the best way to not get completely mad around mid-point, and should've been foolproof against omissions (Joliat missing was a C+P gone wrong)

That's for the process.
This is better than my process was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad