Too early to panic but we need to show Ryan that we can compete

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
A lot went into acquiring him and when that pick is a top 10 pick for Anaheim this year, it'll make it that much important that we keep him moving forward

If he walks next year it's going to set the franchise back badly

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Need another defenceman to help Karlsson and get Phillips off the power play.

I think Ryan is more than happy with his linemates & ice time.

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
Need another defenceman to help Karlsson and get Phillips off the power play.

I think Ryan is more than happy with his linemates & ice time.

I'm sure he is too but that wasn't my point. If this team is going to continue to be crap and not spend any money, he may very well walk in a couple seasons

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I'm sure he is too but that wasn't my point. If this team is going to continue to be crap and not spend any money, he may very well walk in a couple seasons

Yeah that can happen, we do have Michalek's salary coming off our team, even if he stays he will make much less than what hes currently making. Ryan can't sign another contract until summer.

I just think the way our team needs to turn around right now is by adding a top defenceman, this is supposed to be near the end of our rebuild and our team seems to be full of #5-6-7 defenceman. We miss Gonchar on our powerplay and his puck movement.

The Fuhr*

If Ryan wants to win a cup he won't be here beyond next season.

Why would he want to stay with a team that can't spend much beyond the cap floor?

Major Might

Oct 18, 2013
dunno, I'm not Ryan so I don't know what he's thinikng

YOU_DONT_SAY.png

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think Ryan, unlike most of you, sees this team for what it really is. You can tell he is forming strong friendship with Turris, MacArthur and Karlsson. And that those guys are here to stay long-term(expect MacArthur but why wouldn't he if given chance to sign). I also find Ottawa the type of city that he likes. Not too busy and more quieter than other Canadian Market(media aside). He is used to the cold weather so I don't think that's gonna cause an issue.

The only thing that will send Ryan off running is if we remain internal cap team which in 2 years should be resolved.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'd imagine he's loving being with the Sens.

Seems to get along with everyone and genuinely looks happy here.

Finally in the role he deserves and a coach that will use him to his strengths.

He knows hes part of a young care and the team will be built around him going into the future.

Some of you act as if players only sign with top teams.

The Fuhr*

I agree, if the team can spend money Ryan will stay.

But if we can't spend as much as 2/3 of the other 29 teams, he's not going to stay.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Why is everyone so worried about Ryan walking. If Ryan doesnt re-sign here it will be because management chose he wasnt a good fit (though this is improbable in itself). I would expect if Ryan keeps producing at a 60 point pace the Sens brass will give him whatever he wants and sign him long-term.

The Fuhr*

Why is everyone so worried about Ryan walking. If Ryan doesnt re-sign here it will be because management chose he wasnt a good fit (though this is improbable in itself). I would expect if Ryan keeps producing at a 60 point pace the Sens brass will give him whatever he wants and sign him long-term.

We can easily afford him, but if the team is a cap floor type team like this year... And 2/3 of the NHL are outspending us by 8+ million like they are this year...

Why would an amazing player like Ryan stay here when he could go to a team that will spend money to win games.

Losing sucks and we have 11 million in cap space right now but can't afford to spend it.

I can't see how that situation is appealing to any elite UFA talent.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
If Ryan wants to win a cup he won't be here beyond next season.

Why would he want to stay with a team that can't spend much beyond the cap floor?

One of many reasons that trade was/will be horrible. In 3-4 years, when Ryan is long gone, that will be a much bigger disappointment than Alfie leaving. Silfverberg will be a 40 goal scorer, Noesen a good third liner and the 1st pick will be a top-10 pick, probably even top-5.

/ Overly pessimistic, trying to jinx the **** out of that trade.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
One of many reasons that trade was/will be horrible. In 3-4 years, when Ryan is long gone, that will be a much bigger disappointment than Alfie leaving. Silfverberg will be a 40 goal scorer, Noesen a good third liner and the 1st pick will be a top-10 pick, probably even top-5.

/ Overly pessimistic, trying to jinx the **** out of that trade.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Ryan was miserable in Anaheim. One of the most common themes with players that leave Ottawa, is that they cherish their time here, and realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I think Ryan has embraced Ottawa, and fully expect him to re-sign.

Why go somewhere else that could end up like Anaheim, when you already know what your getting in Ottawa.

Berserker*

I don't see an issue here. The Sens best chance to compete for a cup will be in about two years when a number of prospects (primarily Stone, Pageau, Lazar and Ceci) take on full time roster spots. Look at the success Binghamton is having this season. A good chunk of players on that team will have a good opportunity to steal roster spots over the next two seasons. When that happens, it will only make us stronger and more competitive.

The only way I see Ryan leaving is if our prospects start faltering and therefore the promising future of this organization begins to become in question.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
A lot went into acquiring him and when that pick is a top 10 pick for Anaheim this year, it'll make it that much important that we keep him moving forward

If he walks next year it's going to set the franchise back badly

I agree with you I think it's important to show Ryan we can be a competitive team, even potentially to the point of giving up future assets for present help. But we don't know what's in Ryan's mind and we also don't know the exact details of Melnyk's financial situation. If it's not possible to add more salary then it's not possible. This seems like kind of useless worrying.

We can't change the fact that we made the Ryan deal so I don't get the point of dwelling on it. I really, really hope he stays. But if he walks it's also not the end of the world. There's always amazing young talent coming into the league like McDavid in 2015 so there"s always a chance for a franchise to change directions/ turn around. Case in point is Calgary which a year ago everyone thought was just a completely hopeless situation but now looks very promising.

So I don't really get why people ask eachother if they'd do the trade over because there really is no chance of reversing it. I guess it affects future decision-making tho there are so many variables at play in an individual trade that it's hard to ever predict the consequences of one trade by looking at another.

At the end of the day either way we'll be alright. And at the very least we got to watch a helluva hockey player suit up in a Sens jersey.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If he's uncertain about staying on the team, they could arrange an elaborate song and dance, with the lyrical content serving as a vehicle to outline the reasons he should stay with Ottawa.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I've mentioned it in other threads, but I think Melnyk is going to throw everything he has at Ryan to get him to stay. His reputation will be shattered in Ottawa if he lets Ryan walk for financial reasons after spending so much to get him.

SenatorArmy*

The sooner they lock him up the better. Hell, do it now if you can. Gives him the piece of mind & security to both Ryan & the team that he is not just a passenger. Whether he wants to stay or not or wants to wait & see is the question. & Whether Melnyk is willing to pony up the bucks to keep him here is the question. If he goes, then this was a complete failure. Silfverberg was a great piece & that #1 pick & Noesen, it will all be a total loss if we can't keep Ryan on, or trade him for something of relative value.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I love Ryan, but the idea of watching him walk after everything we gave up for really stings. Really hope we keep him.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
speaking of Ryan, how many would have been on board for acquiring him during the deadline last season? It was mentioned that Murray was interested then on an opposite team's local broadcast, and it surprised me because I had never heard of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad