Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
He’s obviously skilled but we probably missed out on his peak value after last year. He’s been rough this season. Needs a real partner, that would help, but his defending seems significantly worse than last year.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
This hasn't updated to include this past game but DeAngelo is 3rd in the league amongst defensemen with minimum 60 TOI in xGF%. The results haven't been there with an actual GF% of 35.67% and he has made several defensive mishaps but the analytics does not suggest that he has been playing poorly.

upload_2021-1-30_22-6-47.png

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This hasn't updated to include this past game but DeAngelo is 3rd in the league amongst defensemen with minimum 60 TOI in xGF%. The results haven't been there with an actual GF% of 35.67% and he has made several defensive mishaps but the analytics does not suggest that he has been playing poorly.

View attachment 390652
Because he really hasn't. He's had poor partners that are playing terrible and everyone runs on here to yell about DeAngelo because they already didn't like him.

Funny how there was always that handful of posters who bitched and moaned about Staal...but he acutally wasn't that terrible for a bottom pair dman and him and DeAngelo played decent together. Smith today and Jackson? They aren't NHL defensemen.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Because he really hasn't. He's had poor partners that are playing terrible and everyone runs on here to yell about DeAngelo because they already didn't like him.

Funny how there was always that handful of posters who bitched and moaned about Staal...but he acutally wasn't that terrible for a bottom pair dman and him and DeAngelo played decent together. Smith today and Jackson? They aren't NHL defensemen.

i agree that his D partners have been horrific. And Tony is fine once he's in the offensive zone. But he looked tentative and overmatched too many times tonight even after Smith was benched. I strongly disagree with the notion that he played well tonight.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
i agree that his D partners have been horrific. And Tony is fine once he's in the offensive zone. But he looked tentative and overmatched too many times tonight even after Smith was benched. I strongly disagree with the notion that he played well tonight.
I didn't say he played well tonight, but I don't think he was a dumpster fire. Majority of the goals given up werent his fault. I'd probably fault him mostly on one.

Reactions: leetch99

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Tony IS the poor d partner

Reactions: LGR92

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I didn't say he played well tonight, but I don't think he was a dumpster fire. Majority of the goals given up werent his fault. I'd probably fault him mostly on one.

part of my issue with him in the D zone is that his ability to separate opponents from pucks is non existent this year. He's never been great at getting in passing lanes. And this year he isn't moving his feet enough, he's just ceding far too much space and time. And even if he's not nec the one who seems to lost his man at the moment a goal is scored -- his presence is allowing high danger plays to evolve. For a guy who is super active in the offensive zone, he has one of the least effective sticks in the D zone. A guy his size won't last in this league if that doesn't change.

Games like this are a huge argument for more complete defensemen in general -- hopefully we have that in guys like Lundkvist or Schneider. Cause I don't see it happening with any of our other D prospects.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
part of my issue with him in the D zone is that his ability to separate opponents from pucks is non existent this year. He's never been great at getting in passing lanes. And this year he isn't moving his feet enough, he's just ceding far too much space and time. And even if he's not nec the one who seems to lost his man at the moment a goal is scored -- his presence is allowing high danger plays to evolve. For a guy who is super active in the offensive zone, he has one of the least effective sticks in the D zone. A guy his size won't last in this league if that doesn't change.

Games like this are a huge argument for more complete defensemen in general -- hopefully we have that in guys like Lundkvist or Schneider. Cause I don't see it happening with any of our other D prospects.

Yep, I'm not surprised he's doing well analytically in some ways but he's definitely "off" and making some brutal stuff happen out there.

He also handles the puck like a goddamn grenade at the offensive blueline, bobbling it multiple times per game to lose possession out of the zone. I think he tries to move to the next thing too fast and just mishandles it. It's infuriating when you watch Fox effortlessly keep the puck in

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Regardless of how good he may or may not be, this team doesn’t need a player of his type on the bottom pair. He’s already not needed on the PP, and if we’re running a third pairing out there for 18-20 minutes a night, we just need keep it simple, reliable defensive players that can keep the puck out of their own net.

I like Deangelo but he’s really hurting his cause and it’s looking like a mistake to not have gotten a premium return on what may have been a career year last season.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Regardless of how good he may or may not be, this team doesn’t need a player of his type on the bottom pair. He’s already not needed on the PP, and if we’re running a third pairing out there for 18-20 minutes a night, we just need keep it simple, reliable defensive players that can keep the puck out of their own net.

I like Deangelo but he’s really hurting his cause and it’s looking like a mistake to not have gotten a premium return on what may have been a career year last season.
True, but nobody was expecting Miller to come out and play like a legit #3 defenseman already one week into his NHL career either haha. All that talk of moving someone to the left side went away real fast.

Reactions: Synergy27

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
True, but nobody was expecting Miller to come out and play like a legit #3 defenseman already one week into his NHL career either haha. All that talk of moving someone to the left side went away real fast.
Miller is exacerbating the Deangelo problem in the best possible way. He's making the decision that needs to be made very, very easy. It's just too bad that it's happening in conjunction with a massive fall in quality of play that's going to severely negatively impact the return on Tony D.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ

Also Brendan Smith is 11th and Adam Fox is 25th on that list. That seems off...

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Who was his d partner in OT when he let Joseph cut to the net while he blocked no one at the back post?

That is the shit that drove everyone nuts when we first got him. He was much more serviceable last year and more importantly more pucks were going in the opponents nets.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Who was his d partner in OT when he let Joseph cut to the net while he blocked no one at the back post?

That is the shit that drove everyone nuts when we first got him. He was much more serviceable last year and more importantly more pucks were going in the opponents nets.
umm... it's usually two forward and one defenseman in OT so not sure that's a really good example...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Quinn benching him clearly helped ...ugh
He needs PP time to get his value up then traded later this year

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

View attachment 390652

xGF are garbage. all they do is favor sheltered offensive dmen like a TDA and Makar. any stat that has TDA over Adam Fox is garbage.

This shot for example was given .049 XGF.

It's really not uncommon for chances like this to be given up when TDA is on the ice.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Oh, wait. This is where we get to pretend that the world wants to punish the supporters of the bad, bad orange man??
What? No. I posted wondering if they would leave him exposed in the Seattle draft. Some people said I was crazy. You said they would not even think about it. Guess you are right. They are exposing him to 30 teams, but not Seattle.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What? No. I posted wondering if they would leave him exposed in the Seattle draft. Some people said I was crazy. You said they would not even think about it. Guess you are right. They are exposing him to 30 teams, but not Seattle.
My bad. Sorry. Things get lost in print.

something clearly happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad