Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
ADA will eventually sign and come ready to play

it will be either the QO or a slight raise to say 1.2 mil
I appreciate leverage but if they haven't offered him like 1.1m the Rangers are being wrongheaded. Unless they simply don't want him that much. But I'd hope they offered at least a token 100k more than the QO. You do that when you want to keep a player long-term.
Anyhow, we really don't know.

Reactions: haveandare

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Wait, do you have info that nobody else does? Or you're just spewing stuff you have no idea about?

I'm going off of the reports that both sides are still far apart. And by the fact that he hasn't signed his contract. Do you really believe this is over an extra 200k? What's holding it up then? Their offer is their offer. JD said he can join the team anytime he wants in his press conference. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out, chief.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm going off of the reports that both sides are still far apart. And by the fact that he hasn't signed his contract. Do you really believe this is over an extra 200k? What's holding it up then? Their offer is their offer. JD said he can join the team anytime he wants in his press conference. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out, chief.

Um, yes it very well be.

You literary are just spewing stuff. Grats.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kakko didn't train with Prentiss, maybe we should complain about how he isn't committed or a team player.

That said, I'm generally all about the players getting the money they deserve and DeAngelo deserves more than his QO was because like it or not he played well and put up points last season. He's getting screwed by the Rangers decisions in other areas (FA signings) as well as the cap being lower than expected, and that sucks for him...but he's also at the point where he's probably going to screw himself more by not signing. I'm not sure what he's asking and what the Rangers are offering, but he's in real danger of losing his spot in the lineup entirely and end up getting traded for peanuts to some other team. Maybe that's what he wants, I don't know. I think that'd be bad asset management by the Rangers but other NHL teams aren't going to be looking at him fondly for forcing his way out and going on his 4th NHL team.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not the one making up stuff with nothing to back it up, champ.

Davidson says DeAngelo is welcome 'any time he wants'
And it’s up to Tony,’’ Davidson said. “He’s welcome to join us every time he wants. He has every right in the world to not come to camp. So far, he’s not coming to camp, so we’re worried about who we have in camp, and that’s the way we’re going to go.’’

Davidson clarified that as long as DeAngelo is unsigned, he can’t participate in camp, but said, “He can make an agreement with us anytime he wants.’’

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like ADA, but I think there's a tendency to almost over-inflate what he's earned to this point or what the Rangers "owe" him.

Much like the conversations when he's benched, I'm not particularly inclined to view ADA as the inherent exception to the ways of the Rangers world.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I like ADA, but I think there's a tendency to almost over-inflate what he's earned to this point or what the Rangers "owe" him.

Much like the conversations when he's benched, I'm not particularly inclined to view ADA as the inherent exception to the ways of the Rangers world.

I like him too, but he's getting bad advice. Why jeopardize millions of dollars on your next multi-year deal for 100/200k more on a one year deal? Doesn't he realize they just gave 2 picks for Fox and have another first round pick coming probably next year?

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like him too, but he's getting bad advice. Why jeopardize millions of dollars on your next multi-year deal for 100/200k more on a one year deal? Doesn't he realize they just gave up more to get Fox and have another first round pick coming probably next year?

I get the concept behind how he's being advised. It's not necessarily a misguided mindset.

But surveying the landscape, ADA's current career status, and the opportunity that exists this upcoming season, I believe there's significantly more to lose than there is to gain with this approach.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I get the concept behind how he's being advised. It's not necessarily a misguided mindset.

But surveying the landscape, ADA's current career status, and the opportunity that exists this upcoming season, I believe there's significantly more to lose than there is to gain with this approach.

I think it's a bit misguided when you consider this player, his current team, their financial situation and who they have in the pipeline. Are they angling for a trade? I guess that's possible. Maybe that's where this situation ultimately goes.

Why not come to camp, prove Gorton and Davidson wrong, work your ass off and then sign your giant contract in less than a year?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think it's a bit misguided when you consider this player, his current team, their financial situation and who they have in the pipeline. Are they angling for a trade? I guess that's possible. Maybe that's where this situation ultimately goes.

Why not come to camp, prove Gorton and Davidson wrong, work your ass off and then sign your giant contract in less than a year?

The funny thing is that I don't think he necessarily has to prove anyone wrong. From all reports, the organization is, and remains high on him.

The reality is that the Rangers aren't in a position to bid against themselves with the way contracts are set-up in the league. ADA made great strides last season, but he hasn't progressed to the point where all the leverage is in his court and he can essentially get the contract he wants --- not yet at least.

I don't see an angle for a trade or a deeper rift at work here. I think it's strictly business.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The funny thing is that I don't think he necessarily has to prove anyone wrong. From all reports, the organization is, and remains high on him.

The reality is that the Rangers aren't in a position to bid against themselves with the way contracts are set-up in the league. ADA made great strides last season, but he hasn't progressed to the point where all the leverage is in his court and he can essentially get the contract he wants --- not yet at least.

I don't see an angle for a trade or a deeper rift at work here. I think it's strictly business.

But if it's strictly business from his POV, wouldn't it make sense to eat this shit sandwich for a year, play well and then get the big deal next summer?

Reactions: egelband

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I was pretty disappointed when DeAngelo was the other piece in the Stepan trade, but his play before the ankle injury last year and his play the past two months have really changed my opinion of him.

Even Yandle didn’t seem as smooth in the offensive zone as this.
I said this back in February. He's doing no favors in continuing to change my mind the longer this holdout lasts.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Does ADA have value around the league?
It now appears the Jets' defensive right-side is in tatters and they have the cap space to give to presumably give ADA what he's looking for

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
ADA's QO is almost 50% higher than Aaron Judge's salary - who does he think he is? :sarcasm: Seriously though, cap friendly has the space at about $1.1 million (though I didn't think we were on the hook for Spooner's buyout). We need some cap to manage the roster so there isn't anything more for ADA whether he deserves it or not. I suppose he can get $1.5 million and be buried in Hartford for the season.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
ADA's QO is almost 50% higher than Aaron Judge's salary - who does he think he is? :sarcasm: Seriously though, cap friendly has the space at about $1.1 million (though I didn't think we were on the hook for Spooner's buyout). We need some cap to manage the roster so there isn't anything more for ADA whether he deserves it or not. I suppose he can get $1.5 million and be buried in Hartford for the season.
We're on the hook for 9/40ths of Spooner's buy-out.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think he’s a moron. Love him as a hockey player but he’s an absolute idiot so no one should be surprised by this holdout. He’s hurting himself hurting his career and hurting his opportunity to have a solidified role on an nhl team something he’s never had.

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad