Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
At the same time Vegas are relentless on the forecheck and finish their hits - not sure it's a good environment for Tatar to thrive in. Vegas scares me more than Colorado. They've dominated games 2-3-4. Avs lucky to be tied.

If memory serves me correctly, we matched up well against Colorado and Vegas last year. Now, while those two teams are better this year, so are we.

The only remaining team that really scares me is Tampa. Hopefully the Isles or Bruins some how beat them.

All teams are tough though. But with Price and the Danault line matching up against any other team's top line. We have a shot against anyone... I'm especially curious to see if our 4th line will be as effective against another team as they are against Winnipeg.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If memory serves me correctly, we matched up well against Colorado and Vegas last year. Now, while those two teams are better this year, so are we.

The only remaining team that really scares me is Tampa. Hopefully the Isles or Bruins some how beat them.

All teams are tough though. But with Price and the Danault line matching up against any other team's top line. We have a shot against anyone... I'm especially curious to see if our 4th line will be as effective against another team as they are against Winnipeg.

We will have to win very low scoring tight games. Jets D is worse than the Leafs but neither teams D are good. I do think the Habs are confident and playing a decent team D in front of Price. We have held stars off the scoreboard on their PP which impresses me the most. If it's the Avs, I think they burn us on their PP but if it's the Knights, that's going to be one hell of a series. I think we match up well against them

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We will have to win very low scoring tight games. Jets D is worse than the Leafs but neither teams D are good. I do think the Habs are confident and playing a decent team D in front of Price. We have held stars off the scoreboard on their PP which impresses me the most. If it's the Avs, I think they burn us on their PP but if it's the Knights, that's going to be one hell of a series. I think we match up well against them

Ino, Leafs top 4 D are underrated...

Who do the Avs have after their big Landeskog MacKinnon Rantanen line?

As I said, if we have problems scoring in the next series, I hope Tatar comes back in.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ino, Leafs top 4 D are underrated...

Who do the Avs have after their big Landeskog MacKinnon Rantanen line?

As I said, if we have problems scoring in the next series, I hope Tatar comes back in.

Leafs D is much better than before. I agree there. But they are not as good as some of teams left that we might face. Jets D is the worse.

Avs worry me about their PP. It's deadly. We shut down the Leafs and if we shut down the Avs (if that happens), I'll be impressed.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Leafs D is much better than before. I agree there. But they are not as good as some of teams left that we might face. Jets D is the worse.

Avs worry me about their PP. It's deadly. We shut down the Leafs and if we shut down the Avs (if that happens), I'll be impressed.

Yeah the Avs would be a big test. Leafs would have been also if they had Tavares.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unpopular opinion: I'd put him in for game 1 if we're playing Vegas to see if the combination of benching + proving Vegas wrong brings out the best in Tuna.

He's too risky with the puck and when he plays others who are bigger than him and skate well, he struggles like Drouin. Tatar is at this best with open space and the Jets was the team to play him. Tatar has lots of skill but he's just as soft as Drouin and can make bad decisions with the puck like Drouin.

This Habs team is built to limit scoring chances and we generate our offence by causing turnovers and frustrating you. Tatar only gets in if there is an injury at this stage.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I think that, barring injuries, we won't see Tatar again.

The results with a great grinder in what was his spot speak for themselves.

I wish him well and hope he gets a decent UFA offer, somewhere else.

Reactions: Runner77

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Management/coaching will have time to scout the Vegas/Avs series and once we know the winner, they can decide what's the best course. I would be surprised if he plays especially now that the boys are getting several days of rest.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Management/coaching will have time to scout the Vegas/Avs series and once we know the winner, they can decide what's the best course. I would be surprised if he plays especially now that the boys are getting several days of rest.

Only way he plays is if there are injuries and or/we get down in the series and need more offense. He didn't do well against the Leafs. But neither did Gallagher or that whole line offensively. The Leafs speed didn't allow them to be first on pucks. It's a different story against the Jets. I could see Tatar-Danault-Gallagher being effective against Vegas's slow D.

Reactions: sandviper

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I think we should play Tatar in the Vegas series. Tatar has been PPG against the Knights. He also knows as an upcoming UFA he needs to show off or else he's gonna get bent money-wise in FA.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
To replace who?

He's done. He'd be a perfect fit for Toronto. :naughty:

Byron. Tatar and KK had good chemistry or put him back with Danault and Gall and drop Lehkonen down with KK. It won't happen but if/when we make some line changes I thik he should make the roster. Won't happen the first game but maybe at some point in the series. I doubt he wants to enter UFA as a benched, underperforming player.

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
So demote the players who played well to get us here and promote the player that couldn't manage to rise to the occasion? Great idea. Also maybe we should play Allen the first few games just in case he performs better than Price. Price has played well and all that, but you never know.

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Only way he plays is if there are injuries and or/we get down in the series and need more offense. He didn't do well against the Leafs. But neither did Gallagher or that whole line offensively. The Leafs speed didn't allow them to be first on pucks. It's a different story against the Jets. I could see Tatar-Danault-Gallagher being effective against Vegas's slow D.

Yeah, we'll only see Tuna if there's an injury and Evans isn't ready.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I have a lot of respect for Tatar given the situation he is in and the fact he is a UFA with his value likely taking a huge hit.

He was one of the happier guys on the team when they won without him in Toronto and hasn't complained or pouted despite not playing.

He's been great throughout his time here and hopefully he can still cash in somewhere in free agency.

Reactions: the

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Things change quick in the playoffs.

If the habs have a terrible time scoring goals and the results aren't going their way, you could easily see Tatar back in the lineup, and maybe he would have a little extra in store given that it's against a former team that disposed of him pretty quickly.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Byron. Tatar and KK had good chemistry or put him back with Danault and Gall and drop Lehkonen down with KK. It won't happen but if/when we make some line changes I thik he should make the roster. Won't happen the first game but maybe at some point in the series. I doubt he wants to enter UFA as a benched, underperforming player.

Who comes out of the lineup for Tatar?

For me it's Byron, if we're struggling to score.

Reactions: frapp10

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It's a mystery to me how the Tatar we saw when he first came here became the Tatar we saw this season.

I swear when he first came in he was hustling and giving his 110% every shift.

Even when he wasn't putting on points he was contributing with his presence. I remember how great it felt in comparison with Pacioretty.

Makes me ultra sad.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
It's a mystery to me how the Tatar we saw when he first came here became the Tatar we saw this season.

Even when he wasn't putting on points he was contributing with his presence. I remember how great it felt in comparison with Pacioretty.

Makes me ultra sad.

Indeed some people, including me, were calling him Radulov-lite...

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Makes me ultra sad.
It's been so long that I actually forgot that happened. You're right, Tatar was tenacious af when he first got here.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Makes me ultra sad.

Could be age.

Also the game has become faster, more faster players. So he being pretty fast and playing fast doesn't stand put as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad