Confirmed with Link: Tomas Hertl 17% retained, 2025 3rd, 2027 3rd to Vegas for C David Edstrom, 2025 1st

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm sorry your agenda of shitting on Grier took a hit tonight with the Hertl trade looking a little bit better now with Vegas doing nothing in the postseason.

No one's defending the guy who's too obsessed with mocking Hertl now. But saying things like this about the way people here view Grier makes your perspective look equally absurd.
Have you read this thread? There’s a ton of dunking on Hertl which serves no purpose, it’s fine to be happy with the trade, but do we have nothing better to do than pray on the downfall of a former player

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Have you read this thread? There’s a ton of dunking on Hertl which serves no purpose, it’s fine to be happy with the trade, but do we have nothing better to do than pray on the downfall of a former player
I've only really seen one guy dunking on him inappropriately. Everything else I can remember has to do with how his game will age, especially related to his health, and I know that for myself, I now feel more open to be honest with myself about that--in the sense that, because he was our beloved "Fun must be alwalys" son, it was easy to be in denial about his progression and where his game was likely headed, particularly after another knee surgery.

Now, with Vegas, that's a problem for them to deal with. And I certainly don't think that perspective, or rooting against him simply because he's with Vegas now, is enough to be called "dunking on him."

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Even if people are dunking on Hertl, how is that wrong? He was either stupid or greedy enough to sign a bloated 8 year contract with a team anyone could see was going nowhere then demanded a trade not even 2 years later when the bottom predictably fell out. Hasso and DW deserve the vast portion of blame for this mess but at the end of the day nobody had a gun to Hertl's head forcing him to sign.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He was either stupid or greedy enough to sign a bloated 8 year contract with a team anyone could see was going nowhere then demanded a trade not even 2 years later
I think that's a very non-emotional, detached way of looking at it. The thing is for many players, where they choose to sign isn't contingent on where they see the team as a contender POV.

I've only really seen one guy dunking on him inappropriately. Everything else I can remember has to do with how his game will age, especially related to his health, and I know that for myself, I now feel more open to be honest with myself about that--in the sense that, because he was our beloved "Fun must be alwalys" son, it was easy to be in denial about his progression and where his game was likely headed, particularly after another knee surgery.

Now, with Vegas, that's a problem for them to deal with. And I certainly don't think that perspective, or rooting against him simply because he's with Vegas now, is enough to be called "dunking on him."
We all knew, including myself, that Hertl wasn't going to age well in the long run, but that was never my issue with the trade. there are clearly some here who can only see things from an on-ice success perspective, and that's fine. But there's more to enjoying hockey, an organization and a player than solely whether or not they're the best in the world. It's ok to like players even if they're not the optimal player for your team at the time.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Hertl was our player, our Shark. I know it's business but I understand the love for the player, it's part of the whole experience. It's okay that it feels wrong seeing him in Vegas. I bet everyone would be happier if he played for let's say New York Rangers.

But now that he's out of here, I want to see Smith, Eklund, Musty, '24 1st round pick etc become that group bringing back those good feelings.

Reactions: themelkman

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Even if people are dunking on Hertl, how is that wrong? He was either stupid or greedy enough to sign a bloated 8 year contract with a team anyone could see was going nowhere then demanded a trade not even 2 years later when the bottom predictably fell out. Hasso and DW deserve the vast portion of blame for this mess but at the end of the day nobody had a gun to Hertl's head forcing him to sign.
Why would you be mad at the player for taking 65.1 million dollars? Be mad at Will for offering him that deal, be mad at Hertl for choosing Vegas or wanting a trade, but not for taking the money. You're right he didn't have a gun to his head, but he couldn't know if anyone would match that deal in free agency. He did what he thought was best at the time.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Why would you be mad at the player for taking 65.1 million dollars? Be mad at Will for offering him that deal, be mad at Hertl for choosing Vegas or wanting a trade, but not for taking the money. You're right he didn't have a gun to his head, but he couldn't know if anyone would match that deal in free agency. He did what he thought was best at the time.
I'm not mad at him for taking the money. But taking the money then demanding a trade a year and a half later because you "want to win" is childish behavior.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
For all we know Joe Will told Hertl that they were going to turn it around and be competitive again next year. When he signed, we had Karlsson, Burns, Meier, Couture, Eklund, Barabanov looking promising, guys like Middleton/Knyzhov/Bonino playing well, etc. The Sharks finished only 11th worst, so it’s completely possible that Joe Will told Hertl that they were gonna make some moves and try and make the playoffs next year. We don’t know what those conversations looked like.

Players don’t get this deep into roster construction as we do on HF Boards. Just because it was obvious that the team needed to rebuild to us doesn’t mean it was obvious to the players. Joe Will wasn’t going to tear it down and rebuild.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I'm not mad at him for taking the money. But taking the money then demanding a trade a year and a half later because you "want to win" is childish behavior.
I'd go with entitled.

Where has it been written Hertl demanded a trade? The impression that I got was that Grier made it known the the vets early on that there was likely to be some tough times ahead and the team wasn’t likely to be contending for anything in the immediate future; probably outlined an optimistic timeline to return to a competitive state, and if any vets wanted to move on he’d try to find a way to accommodate them.

If I had to guess, I’d say it probably went like this: Hertl initially didn’t want to move on, but as the reality of what “not likely to be contending for anything” really looks like, he had a change of heart, and probably notified Grier “hey I’m open to a trade, can you ask around to see what’s available”.

That is neither demanding or entitled. That’s taking a change of scenery offered. I feel like some here either are being intentionally obtuse, or genuinely struggle to navigate the ins and outs of professional interpersonal relationships. These things don’t have to be nearly as dramatic or confrontational as some here would believe.

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
For all we know Joe Will told Hertl that they were going to turn it around and be competitive again next year. When he signed, we had Karlsson, Burns, Meier, Couture, Eklund, Barabanov looking promising, guys like Middleton/Knyzhov/Bonino playing well, etc. The Sharks finished only 11th worst, so it’s completely possible that Joe Will told Hertl that they were gonna make some moves and try and make the playoffs next year. We don’t know what those conversations looked like.

Players don’t get this deep into roster construction as we do on HF Boards. Just because it was obvious that the team needed to rebuild to us doesn’t mean it was obvious to the players. Joe Will wasn’t going to tear it down and rebuild.
Well said.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Where has it been written Hertl demanded a trade? The impression that I got was that Grier made it known the the vets early on that there was likely to be some tough times ahead and the team wasn’t likely to be contending for anything in the immediate future; probably outlined an optimistic timeline to return to a competitive state, and if any vets wanted to move on he’d try to find a way to accommodate them.

If I had to guess, I’d say it probably went like this: Hertl initially didn’t want to move on, but as the reality of what “not likely to be contending for anything” really looks like, he had a change of heart, and probably notified Grier “hey I’m open to a trade, can you ask around to see what’s available”.

That is neither demanding or entitled. That’s taking a change of scenery offered. I feel like some here either are being intentionally obtuse, or genuinely struggle to navigate the ins and outs of professional interpersonal relationships. These things don’t have to be nearly as dramatic or confrontational as some here would believe.
People like Hodge like to create their own hypothetical narratives to give themselves reason to hate players. LilElroy seems to have done the same. It's quite sad how people can't separate their fandom from humanity.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

I don't think "demanded" is the right word, but I believe it came out, maybe from Sheng, after the trade that Hertl had come to Grier and asked if he could find a trade for him.

Reactions: Gecklund

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Hertl was my favorite player, I loved him so much, at home I would jokingly refer to him as "my son"

Now? He's dead to me (/Tony Soprano voice), that's how deep my hate for Vegas runs

It only took watching him score one goal with them and smile in that shit rag jersey to completely undo my 10 years of affection for him, for as long as he's on that team I wish him the same misfortune as everyone else on that disgusting franchise, p'tooey
everything went downhill after the hand pass... you know, quasimodo predicted all this

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I don't think "demanded" is the right word, but I believe it came out, maybe from Sheng, after the trade that Hertl had come to Grier and asked if he could find a trade for him.

I’m in no way disputing Hertl likely initiated the process of the trade. That’s what we’ve read since the trade, and there were whispers prior to the trade that Tomas had possibly opened that door. Frankly, Hertl has the requisite clauses such that Grier couldn’t really meaningfully explore a trade without Hertl being onboard.

But considering that Grier has demonstrated that he’s motivated to clear long term contracts when he can get positive value; it seems like Hertl didn’t need to demand anything. Both parties were likely interests aligned.

Labeling Hertl as entitled or framing him as having demanded the trade demonize him for something that, frankly, was in the best interest of the organization. It’s a take that is both narrow minded and counter to basically all the reporting that has come out about these big ticket trades Grier has made since coming onboard.

Reactions: timorous me

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I’m in no way disputing Hertl likely initiated the process of the trade. That’s what we’ve read since the trade, and there were whispers prior to the trade that Tomas had possibly opened that door. Frankly, Hertl has the requisite clauses such that Grier couldn’t really meaningfully explore a trade without Hertl being onboard.

But considering that Grier has demonstrated that he’s motivated to clear long term contracts when he can get positive value; it seems like Hertl didn’t need to demand anything. Both parties were likely interests aligned.

Labeling Hertl as entitled or framing him as having demanded the trade demonize him for something that, frankly, was in the best interest of the organization. It’s a take that is both narrow minded and counter to basically all the reporting that has come out about these big ticket trades Grier has made since coming onboard.
If anything, Hertl did SJ a massive favor by asking for a trade. I certainly doubt he "demanded" one. That's not in his character, at least from what we've seen from him for the last decade. Anyone, ANYONE who has an issue with Tommy wanting an opportunity knowing Grier had probably made it very clear that the rebuild was going to take a while is just someone who just can't handle sports emotions very well.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I don't think he demanded a trade, I was commenting on the use of the word childish there. That being said, I probably should have looked into it before going along with the idea that he demanded a trade. According to this article, Grier talk to him about it and he eventually agreed to go to Vegas.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I don't think he demanded a trade, I was commenting on the use of the word childish there. That being said, I probably should have looked into it before going along with the idea that he demanded a trade. According to this article, Grier talk to him about it and he eventually agreed to go to Vegas.

I’m laughing that we’re over hear debating the implications of if Hertl demanded a trade, and after reading that article I’m just picturing Grier doing his best impression of a used car salesman:

/slaps a VeeGeeKay on the hood “What’s it gonna take to get you into this Stanley Cup Contender today? Sure she’s got a little wear and tear, but with YOU in the drivers seat, well, it’s just a thing of beauty. I can see you driving her all the way to a big trophy celebration. Can you see it, son? Just give me the word and I can get the paperwork drawn up.”

Last edited:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
If anything, Hertl did SJ a massive favor by asking for a trade. I certainly doubt he "demanded" one. That's not in his character, at least from what we've seen from him for the last decade. Anyone, ANYONE who has an issue with Tommy wanting an opportunity knowing Grier had probably made it very clear that the rebuild was going to take a while is just someone who just can't handle sports emotions very well.
I think it is not only possible, but desirable, to believe many things at once:
1) it was great for the Sharks that Hertl agreed to a trade, or even if he asked for one. He's gone now, and the Sharks are #1 priority, and Hertl's future success has no bearing on us, in fact, his failure at a team level is good for us in 2025
2) it doesn't say anything about his character that he asked for or agreed to the trade. He could have had a change of heart, he could have been ignorant of the situation when he signed, but none of it makes him stupid or an asshole or anything else
3) One can love the guy and be sad he's gone and especially sad he went to Vegas, and still believe #1 (that Vegas's continued pain is better for us and therefore hope that Tommy doesn't lead them to success).

I certainly have respect for him, loved his time here, and don't feel the need to harbor any ill will. I just want them to finish bottom 10 next year is all. And ideally continue that failure while they still have no 1st rounders, just so they can feel extra pain as a franchise. #sorrynotsorry

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I can't wait for ten years to pass and this thread gets bumped again based on how Edstrom or the first round pick ends up doing.
You’re probably only going to have to wait till pre season when Edstrom is one of the first cuts to go back to the cuda

Trade looks solid now.
I’d wait until next season to judge it, full off season of healing and having a set spot on the line up Hertl is probably in that 70-80 pint range on that knights team

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You’re probably only going to have to wait till pre season when Edstrom is one of the first cuts to go back to the cuda

I’d wait until next season to judge it, full off season of healing and having a set spot on the line up Hertl is probably in that 70-80 pint range on that knights team
Lol.

Yeah. Hertl is going to have a solid bounce back season next year. He's like the anti-zetlerlund in that he probably forgot what it was like to play competitive hockey with intensity. Dude was injured, and clearly laboring out there. I fully expect next year he's exactly what you said.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
We definitely have to wait to judge, no question, but Hertl can get 10000 points next year and that won't matter to the trade. What matters is where Vegas finishes (and how Edstrom pans out).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad