Confirmed with Link: Tomas Hertl 17% retained, 2025 3rd, 2027 3rd to Vegas for C David Edstrom, 2025 1st

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but The Hockey Guy did a deep dive into the Sharks situation a couple of days ago and I think it really helps a casual fan like myself understand exactly what the situation is and why Grier did what he did. As someone whose initial reaction was "Fire Grier", a week later and after watching that Video, I realize how harsh and dumb that comment was. This video actually helped me accept the Hertl trade and what to look forward to into the future. Also, it may not be as long as I feared (I was fearing like 6 more years of being bad) until the Sharks are at least competitive again.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but The Hockey Guy did a deep dive into the Sharks situation a couple of days ago and I think it really helps a casual fan like myself understand exactly what the situation is and why Grier did what he did. As someone whose initial reaction was "Fire Grier", a week later and after watching that Video, I realize how harsh and dumb that comment was. This video actually helped me accept the Hertl trade and what to look forward to into the future. Also, it may not be as long as I feared (I was fearing like 6 more years of being bad) until the Sharks are at least competitive again.

It’s refreshing to see a poster here admit they spoke too soon. I saw that video as well and you’re right, it’s quite informative. I think some should take the time to watch.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Thanks for posting - totally agree with all of it. Grier has honestly done a really great job in a very hard situation.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
people were only mad at the Hertl trade because it was vegas
people questioned the retention and adding two thirds to the deal with that retention

If that trade was to the Islanders most people would just shrug their shoulders.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
people questioned the retention and adding two thirds to the deal with that retention

If that trade was to the Islanders most people would just shrug their shoulders.
Except the Islanders don't have a single prospect on Edstrom's level.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

That’s all it was for me. I’d have rather kept Hertl and enjoyed him rather than now have to deal with him potentially being a top player on Vegas. Obviously the deal was a coup for SJ but it was just so goddamn demoralizing to send him to the knights of all teams.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
That’s all it was for me. I’d have rather kept Hertl and enjoyed him rather than now have to deal with him potentially being a top player on Vegas. Obviously the deal was a coup for SJ but it was just so goddamn demoralizing to send him to the knights of all teams.

it would make it a bit more bearable if the Knights completely collapse next year and we get a top 10 draft pick.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
it would make it a bit more bearable if the Knights completely collapse next year and we get a top 10 draft pick.
Sure, and it may happen. Probably not but it may. The difference is dealing with absolutes vs potential. Vegas is absolutely a better team with Hertl on their team currently and one of the favorites to win the cup in back to back years despite their current struggles. We’re excited about how things may look 6-7 years down the road. While valid, it’s also the ultimate coping method for the current nhl climate as it pertains to us.

Reactions: karltonian

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Sure, and it may happen. Probably not but it may. The difference is dealing with absolutes vs potential. Vegas is absolutely a better team with Hertl on their team currently and one of the favorites to win the cup in back to back years despite their current struggles. We’re excited about how things may look 6-7 years down the road. While valid, it’s also the ultimate coping method for the current nhl climate as it pertains to us.

1710527498133.png

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The Athletic does a prospect podcast show every Friday. Today they discussed the trade and think Edstrom is a 2nd or 3rd line centre. They even said 3rd line two way centre as a worst case.

I've said this exact sentence a few days ago but combined with the cap space and another 1st that's huge value. With how PIT is playing there's a chance we're drafting twice in the top-10 next year and VGK pick around 20-32.

Reactions: Shark Finn

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

San Jose agreeing to trade Tomas Hertl — and retain for six years — is an admission that it’s time to renovate right to the studs. Initially, this was not supposed to be a teardown. Ownership didn’t want it, and Mike Grier understood. But, now everyone sees it cannot be avoided. Once Vegas showed interest (and I do believe now the Sharks softly gauged the market), they came to the decision it was time to accept a new reality. It’s better for Hertl, it’s better for San Jose. My only concern for him: those knees. He avoided a major reconstruction, and I hope that continues.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So since the franchise now admits the Hertl signing along with their total unwillingness to rebuild for a half decade was a catastrophic error in judgment, will anyone actually face professional consequences? Why does Jonathan Becher still have a job after repeatedly telling media in 2021 that the Sharks would never rebuild? How is Joe Will still employed by this franchise after managing to f*** up everything he touched in his like three months as interim GM? Heads need to roll.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So since the franchise now admits the Hertl signing along with their total unwillingness to rebuild for a half decade was a catastrophic error in judgment, will anyone actually face professional consequences? Why does Jonathan Becher still have a job after repeatedly telling media in 2021 that the Sharks would never rebuild? How is Joe Will still employed by this franchise after managing to f*** up everything he touched in his like three months as interim GM? Heads need to roll.
Becher is a mouthpiece for the franchise. He doesn't actually do anything in terms of hockey ops. I don't care for him so if he stays or goes, it makes little difference. Joe Will absolutely should get shitcanned since he played a reasonably large part in the direction of the team through these years.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I think it's a little hard to know who is behind what. Will may have been following orders from DW -- @Sheng Peng possibly even mentioned that in the last podcast -- that team was always going to re-sign Hertl and that was Will's directive.

Becher is a mouthpiece, he's sending the message he's told.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The Athletic does a prospect podcast show every Friday. Today they discussed the trade and think Edstrom is a 2nd or 3rd line centre. They even said 3rd line two way centre as a worst case.

I've said this exact sentence a few days ago but combined with the cap space and another 1st that's huge value. With how PIT is playing there's a chance we're drafting twice in the top-10 next year and VGK pick around 20-32.

I know Bystedt kinda stagnated this year -- but frankly, so did Eklund in his final SHL year. If Edstrom and Bystedt can both keep growing and find their game -- say as the 1C and 2C on the Cuda next year (anyone know if Edstrom is coming over next year? I suspect Bystedt/Havelid are) -- and actually reach their 2Cish level, we're going to have a very nice problem on our hand of having too many great centers.

But we'll see. I still think a Bystedt/Edstrom/Zetterlund 3rd line will absolutely dominate. 3 beefy Swedes that can skate... sounds delightful.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it's a little hard to know who is behind what. Will may have been following orders from DW -- @Sheng Peng possibly even mentioned that in the last podcast -- that team was always going to re-sign Hertl and that was Will's directive.

Becher is a mouthpiece, he's sending the message he's told.
I don't genuinely think that Will is behind the Hertl contract specifically in terms of the decision to sign the contract. If we take his bio on the Barracuda website at face value (granted that comes with some arguments), his primary responsibilities include contract research and negotiations, scouting operations, fiscal planning, salary cap analysis and hockey administration. He’s the lead coordinator and planner for the Sharks training camp scouting meetings and scouting conference calls each season. Will oversees all the hockey operations for the Sharks American Hockey League affiliate, including player evaluation, player contracts, and player recall and reassignments. One of his most important duties involves the tracking, analyzing and projecting of the team’s player payroll relative to the current and future National Hockey League salary cap to give the team the financial flexibility to ice a championship-caliber team each season. There's more there but he had and has always had a hand in contract negotiations. Those sorts of things that led to the cap constraints that Grier is doing a decent job of getting the team out of. The rest that he's being attributed with responsibility for are also things that are incredibly difficult to say in a definitive way that he is doing an adequate job. The scouting has been revamped pretty considerably under Grier. The hockey operations with the Barracuda is pretty questionable throughout his tenure.

I'm not sure what his contract situation is but if firing him is not on the table then I hope they let it expire and walk away there because I just don't see the benefit of having him hang around when it's hard to demonstrate a single positive thing that can be attributed to his management.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

27k+ posts in a hockey message boards site = "casual fan"

oh-ok-yeah-sure.gif

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
27k+ posts in a hockey message boards site = "casual fan"

oh-ok-yeah-sure.gif

I don't know prospects, a lot of the behind the scenes stuff, and before today, the ins and outs of this rebuild, like a lot of people did here. Following the team and watching the games but not much else does strike me as a casual fan.

Reactions: Shark Finn

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
THG is a good all around analyst but he has never been the most informed about the Sharks.

Also it is FAR from certain that Grier would not have signed the Hertl deal.

Reactions: sharski

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Yeah i totally forgot about that "everyone's available except Hertl" comment from GMMG from back in the day until it came up on the sanjosehockeynow podcast episode about the trade

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Hertl was Becher and Will guarantee. No shot Will had the power to do that without that snake Becher at the least giving the blessing if not outright pushing it

Reactions: Jts4thgoal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad