Confirmed with Link: Tomas Hertl 17% retained, 2025 3rd, 2027 3rd to Vegas for C David Edstrom, 2025 1st

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Hertl was Becher and Will guarantee. No shot Will had the power to do that without that snake Becher at the least giving the blessing if not outright pushing it

Hahah, why is Becher a snake? I’m only curious because I know virtually nothing about him other than his very Sharky tweets, so I’m curious why the strong reaction.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Hahah, why is Becher a snake? I’m only curious because I know virtually nothing about him other than his very Sharky tweets, so I’m curious why the strong reaction.
I have 0 proof he is. I just look at his background, he's a handpicked Hasso guy, and how he magically started being super public post DW and get bad vibes. Dude has 0 experience doing anything hockey related but strikes me as the kind of guy who wants/pushes for influence over hockey decisions.

It's purely an ongoing conspiracy theory I've had the last few years haha

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I have 0 proof he is. I just look at his background, he's a handpicked Hasso guy, and how he magically started being super public post DW and get bad vibes. Dude has 0 experience doing anything hockey related but strikes me as the kind of guy who wants/pushes for influence over hockey decisions.

Belcher has nothing to do with the hockey roster decisions. He runs the business side. I don’t get why he gets so much hate here. He is basically the public face for Hasso. That’s it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

It’s possible he or Hasso thought there should be a bigger social media presence by the Sharks and Becher took it on. He seems fine.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
i'm by no means a JW fan, but he shouldn't have ever been in the position of working on that extension... even if he tried to trade Hertl, he probably would've been eaten alive by the other GMs and traded Hertl for 2 2nds and a couple potatos or something

I ultimately blame Hasso for not having the next GM lined up and timeboxing the hiring process to like a week max so that an actual GM with a long term plan makes the call

Becher seems like the high IQ, yet oddly goofy guy who balanced those things just well enough to climb the corporate ladder and now enjoys saying the nice words to the peasants... but i don't think he's ever been put to the test... again, i don't follow the guy on twitter or anything, that's just the vibez

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
i'm by no means a JW fan, but he shouldn't have ever been in the position of working on that extension... even if he tried to trade Hertl, he probably would've been eaten alive by the other GMs and traded Hertl for 2 2nds and a couple potatos or something

I ultimately blame Hasso for not having the next GM lined up and timeboxing the hiring process to like a week max so that an actual GM with a long term plan makes the call

Becher seems like the high IQ, yet oddly goofy guy who balanced those things just well enough to climb the corporate ladder and now enjoys saying the nice words to the peasants... but i don't think he's ever been put to the test... again, i don't follow the guy on twitter or anything, that's just the vibez
I feel like a big part of it was Doug Wilson was trying to set Jr. up as the full time GM.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Becher is a mouthpiece for the franchise. He doesn't actually do anything in terms of hockey ops. I don't care for him so if he stays or goes, it makes little difference. Joe Will absolutely should get shitcanned since he played a reasonably large part in the direction of the team through these years.

Other than the "be careful what you ask for" possibilities I'd just as soon see them both gone....FWIW.

Reactions: WSS11

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
As much as I like the return Grier got for him I would absolutely take 2 2nds and a couple of potatos for Hertl over retaining for 6+ years. Not to mention no Hertl on the 22-23 Sharks likely guarantees last place and a top 3 pick.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
As much as I like the return Grier got for him I would absolutely take 2 2nds and a couple of potatos for Hertl over retaining for 6+ years. Not to mention no Hertl on the 22-23 Sharks likely guarantees last place and a top 3 pick.
It's really hard to say what would have happened if we had traded him before vs after, but i 100% agree that they should have traded him before, Even if it meant Karlsson's return was worse or whatever other butterfly effect.

As it is I'm not too concerned about the retention and getting an unprotected first and an underrated 1st pick is pretty great.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’ve argued this a few times but without the Hertl extension, we probably have Mintyukov and Fantilli in our pool at this moment.

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's really hard to say what would have happened if we had traded him before vs after, but i 100% agree that they should have traded him before, Even if it meant Karlsson's return was worse or whatever other butterfly effect.

As it is I'm not too concerned about the retention and getting an unprotected first and an underrated 1st pick is pretty great.
Yeah the way I look at it is the two 3rds and 6+ years of retention is the price paid for failing to trade Hertl when we should have. In the grand scheme of things it's not that high of a price considering the enormity of that mistake.

Reactions: coooldude

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
The one part of the deal that I can not wrap my head around is the 2 3rd rounders you added. That I do not understand. The only thing me and a few buddies came up with is that the Sharks owner ordered Grier to trade Hetl with as little cap retention as he could and that was the price. That is the one part I do not understand, can come one clue me into why that part was done.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
The one part of the deal that I can not wrap my head around is the 2 3rd rounders you added. That I do not understand. The only thing me and a few buddies came up with is that the Sharks owner ordered Grier to trade Hetl with as little cap retention as he could and that was the price. That is the one part I do not understand, can come one clue me into why that part was done.
This is exactly why. To lower the retention.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It is one of those deals that in 10 years time people will be asking the same question
At which point both of the 3rd round picks will be playing in Europe or selling real estate.

Seriously, these are picks with >10% chance of playing 200 NHL games. I'd rather give that up than retain another million a year on Hertl.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The Sharks have converted like 2 third round picks in their history. 3rd rounders have nearly the same probability as a 5th or 7th rounder. Really doesn't matter in the long run. But it was ultimately payment to reduce the retention from like 50% to 15%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad