Tom Wilson suspended for 2nd time this season, 4 regular season games this time

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Not suspending people for making stupid illegal hits that might have resulted in an injury luckily didn't hasn't deterred people from making stupid, illegal hits.

Perhaps suspending people for stupid, illegal hits that only through luck didn't cause an injury will? Wilson is a dangerous idiot. Either he learns from this, or next time he gets a huge suspension. I really don't see the downside. i like actual hockey hits. That's not what this was.

Indeed. Go back and look at other hits with him. Disciplinary action was warranted here.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Indeed. Go back and look at other hits with him. Disciplinary action was warranted here.

You're not wrong that he's a dirty player who should have been suspended before, but I don't know if I like the idea of punishing a player for that reason. If the league looked at his hits and decided he didn't deserve to be suspended that should be the end of it

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
You're not wrong that he's a dirty player who should have been suspended before, but I don't know if I like the idea of punishing a player for that reason. If the league looked at his hits and decided he didn't deserve to be suspended that should be the end of it

It looks like the league looked at those type hits and decided that they're not ok with it any more. This is a pretty benign way to let folks know there's a new standard.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario

I said it earlier, but I think it bears repeating: if Wilson got a minor penalty on the play for interference, as he should have, then I think the whole thing goes without anything more. The fact he didn't get penalized I think is the reason for the suspension, due to the idea that they don't want anyone to think this was a legal hit.

Of course, that's not stopping a lot of people here from thinking it was. :dunno:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Not the worst hit Tom Wilson has given out, but clearly the league is getting very sick of his repeated garbage plays.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not the worst hit Tom Wilson has given out, but clearly the league is getting very sick of his repeated garbage plays.

Agreed.

This seems like a shot across the bow for a player who has made several bad decisions when throwing hits in the past.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I said it earlier, but I think it bears repeating: if Wilson got a minor penalty on the play for interference, as he should have, then I think the whole thing goes without anything more. The fact he didn't get penalized I think is the reason for the suspension, due to the idea that they don't want anyone to think this was a legal hit.

Of course, that's not stopping a lot of people here from thinking it was. :dunno:

Yeah this is a possibility as well. At the end of the day 2 preseason games is a nothing suspension and it puts the message out there that you can't make illegal hits and get away with it. But I guess that raises the issue of, if it happens in the regular season game and the refs miss a call, should a player and team suffer for it by being suspended rather than simply getting a penalty?

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Tom Wilson doing something stupid? Hockey is back baby. 2 preseason games isn't that bad though, essentially a slap on the wrist. Not gonna teach him anything

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

That would be such an idiotic precedent to set, so that is probably the NHL's logic on this one.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013

It looks like the league looked at those type hits and decided that they're not ok with it any more. This is a pretty benign way to let folks know there's a new standard.

Agreed.

This seems like a shot across the bow for a player who has made several bad decisions when throwing hits in the past.

I don’t understand this idea of retrospective retribution. So what you’re arguing is that DOPS has blown it in the past by not suspending Wilson, so they are going to make it up by actually suspending him for what most on the board think is a 2 minute interference penalty, at worst.

So are they going to arbitrarily review any and all past disciplinary decisions and do ‘make ups’ for them as well?

It was a dumb hit. It was late. But there’s no way that’s suspendable, even in the preseason.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Can the league really not find guys better suited to be head of this division. First shanahan and now parros? Who’s next Stevens ? Matt Cooke ?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I donÂ’t understand this idea of retrospective retribution. So what youÂ’re arguing is that DOPS has blown it in the past by not suspending Wilson, so they are going to make it up by actually suspending him for what most on the board think is a 2 minute interference penalty, at worst.

So are they going to arbitrarily review any and all past disciplinary decisions and do ‘make ups’ for them as well?

It was a dumb hit. It was late. But thereÂ’s no way thatÂ’s suspendable, even in the preseason.

That's not what I'm arguing at all.

A player with a well established history of questionable hits has shown yet another ill advised hit, this time in the preseason.

They don't need to review past hits. You don't think the DoPS is well aware of Wilson's history? Wilson throwing that hit is going to be looked upon differently than a Lady Byng winner doing it, but that doesn't make it a retroactive punishment.

It's them sending a clear wakeup call that he made a bad hit and needs to make better decisions in the future. Especially when you consider that there's a new sheriff in town with Parros. He's sending a message.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t understand this idea of retrospective retribution. So what you’re arguing is that DOPS has blown it in the past by not suspending Wilson, so they are going to make it up by actually suspending him for what most on the board think is a 2 minute interference penalty, at worst.

It was a dumb hit. It was late. But there’s no way that’s suspendable, even in the preseason.

It's not retroactive at all. It's proactive. The NHL has looked at this type of hot and said "no more". They gave out a preseason suspension, which is as pointless a suspension as they can possibly give out, to tell this particular meathead, and all the other meatheads like him, that predatory illegal hits aren't going to get a wink and an "it's just old time hockey, man up Nancy!" approach any more.

I stated earlier that I'm 100% behind treating stupid unnecessary dangerous hits that only through luck didn't cause injuries as if they did, because that's the only way players are going to learn to stop doing them. Wilson is just the first idiot to do this as egregiously as he did. The question will be if the league can be consistent. (Haha). I actually trust Parros to do this, what I don't trust is the owners and GM's not making him stop.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Can the league really not find guys better suited to be head of this division. First shanahan and now parros? Who’s next Stevens ? Matt Cooke ?

Parros was an extremely clean player. Just because he fought a lot doesn't make him dirty.

And even if he did, there's a reason that law enforcement recruits former criminals. They know how that mind works, and they know when a player is actually being remorseful and when they are just paying lip service to get a suspension reduced.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

So sick of it they suspended him for a whopping TWO preseason games. And they put him on NOTICE!!!! Damn they really got him this time.

C'mon. Gimme a break. NHL doesn't really care about crap hits.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I wish he didn't jump because that's the only thing illegal about it. Would have still been a beauty if he kept his skates on the ice.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I hate Wilson and the Caps but that was a clean hit. And a beauty. Reputation suspension.

I wish he didn't jump because that's the only thing illegal about it. Would have still been a beauty if he kept his skates on the ice.

look at the 2nd video without even playing it.

Thomas is 2 feet from the blueline. The puck is 2 feet in the neutral zone. And Wilson is like 7 feet from Thomas, head and skates turned toward him, ignoring the puck, looking to blow up a player without the puck.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Any suspensions that happen in the regular season for Wilson will mean he's counted as a repeat offender right?

Think that's a decent punishment for a late hit in a preseason game.
2 pre season games + you're screwed if you get suspended again.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Tom Wilson might be the most-unintelligent person to pay NHLPA union dues in 20 years. If he plays the puck, here, he might get his teammate an odd-man break out of it. By not playing the puck, he risked St Louis getting one.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Any suspensions that happen in the regular season for Wilson will mean he's counted as a repeat offender right?

Think that's a decent punishment for a late hit in a preseason game.
2 pre season games + you're screwed if you get suspended again.

That's all this is....a more severe warning to not cross the line. The clock should have been started awhile ago.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Tom Wilson doing something stupid? Hockey is back baby. 2 preseason games isn't that bad though, essentially a slap on the wrist. Not gonna teach him anything
As others have mentioned, the biggest thing this changes is that it gives him an on-paper history with the DoPS. Which means he can be considered a repeat offender in future instances, which both changes the likelihood and severity of a future suspension. The length of the suspension here is far less significant than it being his first suspension.

The league has typically opted for players ingrained within the more physical aspects of the sport to lead the DoPS. Quintal and Pronger also have very substantial histories when it comes to PIMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad