Confirmed with Link: Toffoli (50% retained) off to Winnipeg for a 2024 3rd and 2025 2nd rounder per Seravalli

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott2

Feb 23, 2024
And when we acquired Toffoli, how was Fitz supposed to know we were going to fall off the cliff? Also, there was 0 guarantee that Sharangovich would do here what he's done in Calgary.

Fitz tried and it didn't work out. He recouped some costs back.

If you expect a GM to only hit and make excellent moves, you're deluded.
i understood why we got taffoli... we needed a right shot.. didn't work out cause of the team ... i don't think he got a good return at all back for him... this was his worst trade to date.. moving on

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Rango wasn't going to do this in NJ, he was stuck in the bottom 6 and there wasn't a way out for him. Stop whining about a player that outlived his usefulness to the team.
He didn't need to do this in NJ, If Toffoli wasn't here it would have made the entire team more versatile in the way it could be moved around. So say Ruff stuck him in the bottom 6 and never gave him a shot in the top 6, fine, he was a fine player down there that wasn't ever a liability and actually could contribute down there, Toffoli couldn't. He could be used on the PK, Toffoli couldn't.

But say he was given another go in the top 6, are there any goals you can point to this year that Toffoli scored, that Shara wouldn't have? If given enough rope, you can even make the argument that with his somewhat better speed and willingness to get into dirtier areas, he could have done better.

No way to say for sure, but to say with 100% certainty that he wouldn't be good here is crazy and just trying to defend something for the sake of it.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I had faith the goaltending was going to be adequate this season before it started.

I dont think anyone expected the fall off.
No one expected the fall off, but it should have been considered in the realm of possibility. Everyone says just get Adin Hill for cheap, but ignores the range outcomes when you go cheap in net also includes abnormally bad goaltending.

Having a waiver exempt Akira Schmid as your backup, with Vitek as your starter was just an incredibly risky goaltending solution. Imagine where this team would be if Nico Daws had a setback in recovery from surgery.

I'm worried now the team will overcorrect, but yeah that was a risky maneuver, especially if part of the plan was to fix any goaltending issues at the deadline a traditionally terrible place to acquire a goalie.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

nobody disagrees that it’s good to get more picks and draft guys that have a chance to make our team in 3 years. but this trade sort of symbolizes our entire season, which is a giant step backwards. so that, plus an underwhelming return equals a sad day for this team. that’s my opinion anyway.

Reactions: RNCDevil

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
It feels like there are two separate arguments:

1. If you look at the whole package from the initial trade and assets moving both ways, then yes, it's not great work from Fitz.
2. If you look at what needed to be done NOW, then I believe Fitz did the right thing.

Both can be true.

My biggest Devils issues are:

- Holtz's development (sitting a year??? crazy)
- Hope as a strategy for goal tending
- Hope as a strategy for defensive depth (mitigated by the Dougie injury, not knowing Siegs and Marino would look far worse)
- Absolutely stubborn PP game planning and evolution
- Team getting slower (mitigated by the loss of he who shall not be named)

But there's a TON of good in the development of some players, drafts (not great, but better) and generally better fan experience.
Excellent post.

Hope is not a strategy. The passive in-season “wait and see” approach from Fitz backfired spectacularly.

Hoping VV rights himself is not a strategy. I get it’s not easy to go big game hunting for goalies but to try NOTHING is unacceptable. Literally, almost anyone would have been an upgrade over VV. Bring someone in and who knows, maybe you get lightning in a bottle from a goalie with the change of scenery.

Nothing changes if you change nothing,

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
One was in his early 30s with a history of being sat in the playoffs, one was in his early 20s and seemingly still developing. Do I need to say more, or you going to keep making this weird point.
Age doesn’t seem very relevant considering he was getting zero term in free agency. Sharangovich didn’t even have a top 9 role here, so we were never giving him that contract, nor should we have.

Anyway, Tatar is a +11 (+41 last year) on a 67 point team in 31 games, Sharangovich is a -9 on a 67 point team on a shooting heater.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
fitz definitely goes from golden child to bruh really in less then a year.

maybe if he didn't get cute with asking for retention in the markstrom deal he would've been here last month then we wouldn't be talking about this junk return for a 30 goal scorer lol.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If winnipeg wanted Toffoli, Fitz should've told them it's Montreal's 2nd or they can f*** themselves. If you offer the same deal (2024 3rd, 2025 2nd) to the universe you get 5 takers immediately.
You’re so full of it man. First off you don’t get to offer that to the universe. There’s 31 other teams and probably around 5 teams who are options for Toffoli in the first place and they clearly weren’t offering as much.

You say that to Winnipeg and they could say ok see ya, trade a 5th for Zucker and we end up with a worse deal.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I haven’t once brought up the Sharangovich trade. I liked it then, shit happens, didn’t work out, oh well.

I am talking about this trade. Baffling and beyond any reason the Devils couldn’t have gotten at least a 2024 2nd out of this.
What’s the difference in value between a 2024 2nd and a 2025 2nd?

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I had faith the goaltending was going to be adequate this season before it started.

I dont think anyone expected the fall off.
The fall off from Vitek in the playoffs last year kind of told us he wasn't the right guy. I hoped Schmid would rise, but that was wishful thinking. It was pretty clear early on this season that we were in trouble there and Fitz sat on his hands. Season killer!

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
No GM is going to stop an assistant coach from moving to be a head coach, it's simply not done. I think that if NAS didn't cone calling he would still be here. So the Brunette thing is a wash.
I actually though when they nabbed Brunette he was going to be their future head coach in waiting.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He didn't need to do this in NJ, If Toffoli wasn't here it would have made the entire team more versatile in the way it could be moved around. So say Ruff stuck him in the bottom 6 and never gave him a shot in the top 6, fine, he was a fine player down there that wasn't ever a liability and actually could contribute down there, Toffoli couldn't.
Except for the fact that he was and is a terrible defensive player.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Age doesn’t seem very relevant considering he was getting zero term in free agency. Sharangovich didn’t even have a top 9 role here, so we were never giving him that contract, nor should we have.

Anyway, Tatar is a +11 (+41 last year) on a 67 point team in 31 games, Sharangovich is a -9 on a 67 point team on a shooting heater.
Not even top 9 now??? Because the coach sat him a few games.... Alright, I'm good here, you are flailing now.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
nobody disagrees that it’s good to get more picks and draft guys that have a chance to make our team in 3 years. but this trade sort of symbolizes our entire season, which is a giant step backwards. so that, plus an underwhelming return equals a sad day for this team. that’s my opinion anyway.
the fact people on here are happy about a 2025 2nd rounder that probably wont touch the ice if ever until 2028/29 is mind blowing (not just talking you) but just replying to the tweet.

You’re so full of it man. First off you don’t get to offer that to the universe. There’s 31 other teams and probably around 5 teams who are options for Toffoli in the first place and they clearly weren’t offering as much.

You say that to Winnipeg and they could say ok see ya, trade a 5th for Zucker and we end up with a worse deal.
then you don't trade him. people(teams) have to stop selling for junk. tofolli legitimately will help their cup chances and thats only worth a 2/3 in 2025? get lost!

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
He's been indecisive all year. Let Brunette walk, failed to get a goalie, took forever to can Lindy, wasn't sure whether to keep or trade Toff when they are clearly out of it. He agonized over firing Ruff at his press conference when it was clear to the world they needed a change quite a while ago. Just a bad job by Fitz this season. Hard to sugarcoat ineptitude.

IMO other than Toffoli none of those are indecision - Unless Lindy wanted to stop coaching there was no way the Devils were replacing him with Brunette after the season he had, he knew/knows he needs a goalie but he is right to get the right piece at the right price, and he acted like a human being by treating Lindy with dignity and only waited 3 games longer than I would have waited.

The Toffoli thing was clear as daylight - 2 superstar wingers under contract for 8 years prefer the RH side, two 22 year old RW on ELC with years of team control, he not only wasn't a long term fit (he was never agreeing to a 2 or 3 year deal at a reasonable hit) but because of his salary and expiring contract made him the most logical trade chip to improve the team this year.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
the fact people on here are happy about a 2025 2nd rounder that probably wont touch the ice if ever until 2028/29 is mind blowing (not just talking you) but just replying to the tweet.

then you don't trade him. people(teams) have to stop selling for junk. tofolli legitimately will help their cup chances and thats only worth a 2/3 in 2025? get lost!
Except the whole point is most people are expecting that pick to be used in another trade. A 2nd and 3rd round pick isn’t junk.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
For the millionth time. Sharangovich is a nice player, but he doesn’t create enough when given top 6 minutes. He only gets 2 shots per game average with 18-19 TOI, wing or center. Not enough for a top 6 player and that makes his goal scoring abilities inconsistent.

It sucks that we ended up with a 2nd/3rd at the end if his trade tree but it happens

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
they are prospects. they can fail. this isnt a rebuilding team. this doesnt make it a better trade this makes it f***ing worse. and stop over hyping god damn prospects that have done f***ing nothing.
absolutely after seeing the growing pains our two rookies have went through this year casey isn't sniffing the nhl ice for 2 more years max and then figure the "rookie wall" then the "sophmore slump" so what 4 years before he is a mainstay known quantity back there? yeah thanks no thanks get me some NHL READY HELP NOW

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I think the rule of thumb is that a pick a year later is worth a round less value. I know the NFL looks at it that way.

NFL top 3 round picks are generally instant starters in the NFL - that's why future pick have less value.

In the NHL, it is basically irrelevant outside of fringe cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad