• Stamkos

Votes: 155 73.8%
  • Toews

Votes: 55 26.2%

• Total voters

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This is so all over the place. Just throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks. :laugh:

One second Toews is a bum because the Hawks teams were so strong and deep. The next it's laughably suggesting goaltending is what they leaned on to win. Despite swapping out goaltenders and having it make little difference. Basically just flailing wildly at anything to try to discredit a key player in multiple Cups...in favour of a bunch of swapped around pieces that came and went. It's illogical.

You're also just casually dismissing the fact that Toews was pretty consistently the common factor between different groups of "5 man units" doing extremely well in outscoring their opponents. It absolutely does tell you something, when it happens fairly reliably over time, and one specific component is the main constant theme. Especially when that player is at the most important position, is observably stout at both ends of the ice, and also observably and statistically taking on the toughest matchups while doing it.

What's more likely? The Hawks just had a whole bunch of different pieces fall into place perfectly in different configurations for a bunch of different Cup wins and strong playoff performances? Or...Toews as one of the "Core 4" was actually in fact, a stud player and a linchpin of a mini-dynasty. A reality which is also pretty clearly hinted at in his performance with Team Canada on the world stage and again...and entirely different set of players, where he was still a standout amongst elite company.
Toews never produced like an elite player in the reg season

He produced like an elite player in the playoffs in 2009, 2010, 2014, and 2015

His impact on the ice in 2013 was as a product of a deep hawks team which played strong defensively, had good possessional players and had Crawford playing his best hockey of his career.

The hawks core 3 is entirely overrated from their time 2010-2015 period. People pretend they won those cups in the b/c of those 3 and not b/c of the previously mentioned absurd depth and incredible drafting.

Kane proved he didnt need elite depth to be a superstar, nd was a top player from 2016 to 2022.

Toews and Keith both slowly fell off. Toews fell off the hardest, with his spot as a franchise player always being the most questionable.

Toews routinely played with elite deoth talent and guys who took lower roles at times to fit in the team.

Center is valuable but just being an elite center doesnt mean your better than a better winger.

Offense is the most valuable and tangible metric in hockey.

Defense is systems based, goalie dependent, usage dependent, work vased and still will be broken and destroyed against an elite franchise forward (Mcdavid routinely does this in the playoffs and has won 3 rounds with him and Drai despite the Oilers being worse on paper than the Kings and Flames in 2022 at the minimum)

Toews produced best in short sprint sample sizes, and people wanted to believe that was his consistent levek of play irrespective of team quality.

He proved he was not that guy, as he fell off into obscurity along with the rest of the blackhawks team outside of Kane.

Toews routinely gets overrated and credit for being part of the post lockout Hawks.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Toews being overrated again
More like underrated, people forget how good 2010-2015 Toews was. Totally shutdown any offense, while providing 1st line offense.

Weird that people just forget how dominant he was in his prime, 200 foot dominance. Overrated at the time, but he is becoming underrated now, since it seems like people just don't like him as a person ever since the scandal.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
ill go with Stammer. maybe those string of bad luck injuries wouldnt happen if I took him on my team and he carving out a longer career. Id be happy with both in their prime but both are champions.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Toews carried the blackhawks, Stamkos got carried by Kucherov/Vasi/Hedman

Not close. Stamkos was great in his prime, but was almost irrelevant for their cup runs. He didn't even play in the 1st cup win and if he played half decent 2 years ago they may have won the series vs Colorado.

Toews stepped up every time in the playoffs, elite defensively as well.

I know the recent news of the situation that happened has tainted Toews legacy, but as a player and how well he played in the playoffs, easy answer.

The thing about Stamkos peak, it was way before they made a serious playoff run. Their first finals trip Tyler Johnson was the 1C, Kuch/Palat were the top forwards. Their first cup win he didn't even play, the Lightning won without him. Their 2nd run, he was the 2C and cap circumvention, Point > Stamkos.

Not to mention it was Toews and Chicago that beat Stamkos in the finals. Also 3 cups.

Stamkos prime was phenomenal, he was rivaling Ov as the best goalscorer in the game. Looking career wise though, it's Toews. He was a legitimate factor in the Hawks cup wins, Stamkos really wasn't, he was maybe the 5th or 6th best player on the team. Kuch, Vasi, Hedman, Point were all clearly better, you can even argue McDonagh was a bigger factor.
Very true, a prime Stamkos had a chance with a good team to be the guy, and he totally wilted. Guys like young Kucherov, Johnson were more noticeable and involved.

Toews totally shut him down. 1 assist in 6 games in that final. Prime vs Prime.

rogking65

May 13, 2016
More like underrated, people forget how good 2010-2015 Toews was. Totally shutdown any offense, while providing 1st line offense.

Weird that people just forget how dominant he was in his prime, 200 foot dominance. Overrated at the time, but he is becoming underrated now, since it seems like people just don't like him as a person ever since the scandal.
averaging point per game only once in 15 seasons and cracking 70 points only twice is not what I would want from a first liner,

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Very true, a prime Stamkos had a chance with a good team to be the guy, and he totally wilted. Guys like young Kucherov, Johnson were more noticeable and involved.

This is exactly why Toews was overrated. He shutdown any offense by himself right? Because Hossa, Keith, Hjalmarsson had nothing to do with shutting opponents down.

Prime vs prime, except 1 guy was coming off a broken leg and was clearly not the same player as before.

Reactions: hamzarocks

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
averaging point per game only once in 15 seasons and cracking 70 points only twice is not what I would want from a first liner,
Prime was played in a dead puck like era. He provided 1st line offense, would have had multiple more 70+ years if not for injury in 2011 and a lockout in 2013.

If you go and compare Toews numbers to other 1st line Cs at the time, along with his underlying numbers, he was top 3.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Prime was played in a dead puck like era. He provided 1st line offense, would have had multiple more 70+ years if not for injury in 2011 and a lockout in 2013.

If you go and compare Toews numbers to other 1st line Cs at the time, along with his underlying numbers, he was top 3.
He cane top 3 in all NHL voting twice for centers and one year was b/c Crosby was out half the year (2011)

This type of thought is why hes so overrated.

Crosby similarly gets overrated now only when compared to Mcdavid b/c of underlying numbers over actual results

Crosby is still a generational player and anywhere from 6th to 12th greatest all time and only a guy like Mcdavid whose 5th all time and the only guy drafted post 2000 who has an outside shot to challange 99/66/9

2010-2015 Toews isnt a top 100 player, he isnt a top 30 center from the post lockout era alone

This era (2016 - 2023) we have almost 10 centers who are better than 2010-2015 toews alone

Mcdavid
Draisaitl
Mack
Matthews
Crosby
Barkov
Point
Eichel
Malkin (2017, 2018, 2020 years)

• Haha
Reactions: Regal

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

I mean….Toews only had 1 goal and 3 points in those 6 games. Would you say Toews was neutralized as well?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Lool crazy Towws overrating

He was a passenger in the 2013 cup

2010 and 2015 he was great

People dont realize it but the hawks team didnt have a top 5 player on any of their cups, maybe Kane was top 10 in 2015 but thats it

The Hawks won solely by being the deepest teamin the leagues for 2010 and 2013

Ladd, Buff, Versteeg, Oduya, Bickell, Bolland, Campbell, Sharp, Hossa, Seabrook, hjalmarsson,

These were the guys providing supporting to the Hawks core 3.

The hawks were more stacked than 2020 and 2021 tampa and 2022 Avs who won cups dominately

You replace Toews with getzlaf, Tavares, Giroux, Seguin (2013 not 2010) etc you still win the 2010 and 2013 cups

Same with Keith. Put in Doughty, Pietrangelo, Suter, Weber, Subban, Letang, etc and they win the cup still

Kane with OV, D Sedin, Kovalchuk, etc

The Hawks fell off right when their deoth fell off.

2016 inwards they had lost almost all their elite supporting depth due to cap, age or decline.

The 2015 cup, the hawks big 3 did clutch up Ill say as that team was not deep and all 3 guys pulled their weight to will the hawks that year
Lots of just silly takes by you in this post

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Maybe but yours is just as silly just opposite of their silly opinions
I think im done with this thread.

I've clearly made my opinion on Toews known as have Hawks/Toews fans

They got yo see 3 cups so they can view Toews however they want.

I voted Stamkos, but if you want to take Toews then all the best

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
If I knew I was getting prime Toews for longer than his prime ended up lasting, he'd be my choice. The fact his play dropped off a lot sooner than Stamkos (who is still producing like a top line player) makes it a more difficult decision.

14+ years of top line play from Stamkos versus around 8-ish years of Toews producing/playing like a top end center.
Career wise longevity is the main reason I choose Stammer. But since you bring up Toews’ prime not lasting long, an interesting hypothetical is a longer prime Toews or Stamkos without his leg injury. In this scenario I believe Stammer gains more of the 2 compared to their career as is.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People seem to know that Toews was overrated, but Stamkos is getting a pass.

He was a one way sniper for most of his career, a very very weak defensive player that relied heavily on Tampa's vaunted play drivers. He was further weakened by injury for most of Tampa's prime, usually ineffective outside of his niche role. Oddly enough he's been playing some of his best hockey lately.

Prime for prime Toews was a more important player.

I was searching for an analogous pairing, I think it might be like if you ask older Isles fans who was better between Bryan Trottier and Pierre Turgeon. Though that may oversell the gap.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This is exactly why Toews was overrated. He shutdown any offense by himself right? Because Hossa, Keith, Hjalmarsson had nothing to do with shutting opponents down.

Prime vs prime, except 1 guy was coming off a broken leg and was clearly not the same player as before.

By this metric I assume every Alex Ovechkin goal was an end-to-end rush involving zero passes? Otherwise he’s clearly overrated for all that support he got creating offense. :eyeroll:

Of course the supporting cast has an impact, people just understand who had the greatest impact particularly from one of the most important positions in hockey.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
By this metric I assume every Alex Ovechkin goal was an end-to-end rush involving zero passes? Otherwise he’s clearly overrated for all that support he got creating offense. :eyeroll:

Of course the supporting cast has an impact, people just understand who had the greatest impact particularly from one of the most important positions in hockey.

I'm not sure what your point is here because I don't remember anyone saying OV had no help? I mean yeah compared to Crosby he didn't have a Malkin, compared to Toews he didn't have a Kane and Keith, but he still had help (other than maybe his first couple of seasons).

I never said Toews didn't have an impact. I've said many times that he was a great player. It's when people pull the "he shut down offenses" or "he drove play better than anyone" that causes me (and plenty of others) to say he's overrated.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He cane top 3 in all NHL voting twice for centers and one year was b/c Crosby was out half the year (2011)

This type of thought is why hes so overrated.

Crosby similarly gets overrated now only when compared to Mcdavid b/c of underlying numbers over actual results

Crosby is still a generational player and anywhere from 6th to 12th greatest all time and only a guy like Mcdavid whose 5th all time and the only guy drafted post 2000 who has an outside shot to challange 99/66/9

2010-2015 Toews isnt a top 100 player, he isnt a top 30 center from the post lockout era alone

This era (2016 - 2023) we have almost 10 centers who are better than 2010-2015 toews alone

Mcdavid
Draisaitl
Mack
Matthews
Crosby
Barkov
Point
Eichel
Malkin (2017, 2018, 2020 years)

Hold shit, this is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen on here

Reactions: Voight

Ad