Toews haters on the main board

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
What is with so many people questioning Toews as an elite center and a great leader? I know he doesn't win Richard and Art Ross trophies but he's 60% on face-offs, Selke finalist, and a CS and SC winner. Our chance to rationalize or homerize this. What's the deal?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Clutch players are always perceived as overrated. In the end, the rankings as a top 5 player are correct. Also, there is no appreciation for faceoffs and not nearly as much for defense as their should, just points.

Recoil

Jun 27, 2011
Chicago, IL
Some hate Toews

Some feel he is overated (To an extent he may be)

To an extent we probably overate him slightly ,, While others underate him

The only thing Toews doesn't bring is some uber elite scoring ability like Crosby or Stamkos. However, his scoring ability is above average. But he plays great defense, great at the dot, gives 110% effort every shift, and is a great leader for the team. His accolades mentioned in the OP tend to back this up.

I think people expect a Top 5 #1 C to have a sick scoring ability. Toews has flashes of an elite goal scorers touch, but not to the level or overall consistency of Stamkos or Crosby. But people who don't think he's an elite player suffer from some sort of bias. The kid gets it done and has a real complete game.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
He was the best player in the Olympics and won the goal medal. If was on the ice for only one even strength goal against in the entire tournament.

He was the best player during the 2010 playoffs, winning the CS and the Stanley Cup.

Nuff said.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Who cares if there are morons out there that don't like him? We know how great he is, that's all that really matters.

BBSeabs27

#freeseabs
Jan 27, 2011
Chicago
they don't see him play every game like we do and they haven't seen him grow up like we have. only blackhawks fans know the true value of jon.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
-Leadership
-Fantastic on defense
-Good scorer
-Great faceoff man

He won some silver trophy, too. What do they call that trophy? Oh, yes, the Stanley Cup. Don't listen to them underrate or disrespect them. We know what he's all about, so don't listen to the haters.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
they don't see him play every game like we do and they haven't seen him grow up like we have. only blackhawks fans know the true value of jon.

After numerous arguments on the subject, I really believe this is the biggest part of why people view Toews as overrated. He isn't flashy, he isn't going to win any scoring titles, and he doesn't throw huge hits. But, as cliche as it is, he does all the little things that it takes to be successful. He prides himself on the details. That is what makes him special. I have no doubt that he could be a top 5 scorer if he wanted to sacrifice defense to do it, but he doesn't because that is not what this team needs to win. I remember watching a game late last season and Toews made a horrible play. After muttering under my breath I thought for a second and realize that I could honestly not remember Toews making a horrible play like that. I honestly couldn't remember one single example. It was then that I really appreciated how special this kid is. Even as someone who has watched probably 90% of his NHL games it took me that long to truly appreciate his game. I can only imagine how long it will take people who don't watch him as often.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
If only GMs had the same thought process as the HFboards then we could get him really cheap on his next contract.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
haters-mickey.gif

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
After numerous arguments on the subject, I really believe this is the biggest part of why people view Toews as overrated. He isn't flashy, he isn't going to win any scoring titles, and he doesn't throw huge hits. But, as cliche as it is, he does all the little things that it takes to be successful. He prides himself on the details. That is what makes him special. I have no doubt that he could be a top 5 scorer if he wanted to sacrifice defense to do it, but he doesn't because that is not what this team needs to win. I remember watching a game late last season and Toews made a horrible play. After muttering under my breath I thought for a second and realize that I could honestly not remember Toews making a horrible play like that. I honestly couldn't remember one single example. It was then that I really appreciated how special this kid is. Even as someone who has watched probably 90% of his NHL games it took me that long to truly appreciate his game. I can only imagine how long it will take people who don't watch him as often.

I don't really agree. Toews is great, but he's not an elite offensive player.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I wouldn't trade him for Crosby now. Two years ago I would've, but not now. One hit and his career is on thin ice. Toews has had a concussion, but not like Crosby's.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I do think Toews is overrated. Being overrated got him a Conn Smythe that Byfuglien or Bolland probably should have won. But at the same time...I wouldn't consider trading him.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
I do think Toews is overrated. Being overrated got him a Conn Smythe that Byfuglien or Bolland probably should have won. But at the same time...I wouldn't consider trading him.

I don't see why you would think Buff or Bolland deserved the Conn Smythe more than Toews. Toews led the team in points, won 60% of his draws, had great defensive numbers, and tied a franchise record playoff scoring streak.

Don't get me wrong Bolland played out of his mind vs the other teams top lines and Buff played extremely well, but when you consider the total product I don't think it matches up.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What is with so many people questioning Toews as an elite center and a great leader? I know he doesn't win Richard and Art Ross trophies but he's 60% on face-offs, Selke finalist, and a CS and SC winner. Our chance to rationalize or homerize this. What's the deal?

who's questioning that he's elite?

all people are saying is that he isn't one of the few most elite(which he isn't)

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Buff was the most overrated of those players.

I'd rank that Keith and Bolland, and probably Kane, were ahead of Buff for the CS.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Most don't see him enough to see what player he is. I would only trade him for Crosby

That's it in a nut shell. Those that see Toews regularly know just how valuable he is in all aspects of the game. Statistics never tell the complete story with this guy.

MrSerious

Nov 8, 2008
I think it's just a matter of preference. I don't think anyone actually hates Toews (I didn't notice anyone having him out of their top 10 centers in the league) they just don't see what we do in him. There are other fans that would rate him similar to how we do as well. Some people lean towards players who provide over a lot of offense and not a lot of defense. Others prefer players who provide the total package. I would take guys like Toews, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kesler, etc. over Sedin without thinking.

Saying Toews isn't as good as a guy like Stamkos or Sedin isn't hating him. It's just preference.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The argument is stupid, outside of Crosby and maybe Stamkos, what other centers would you take over Toews? Maybe Malkin but even then I'm not so sure. To say he's not an elite center is silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad