Line Combos: Toews and Kane need to play together.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
we were able to do more Kane and Toews back then because of Hoss....Hossa was just so damn important and versatile to this team, as well as Sharpie who really could float around a lineup as well regardless of the **** we gave him his last year here before being sent to Dallas.

But you are right, if we land a center that can play 3rd line shutdown role, then we can put Toews and Kane together again. If we keep Schmaltz at C, then keep him and Cat together, that is a must as well...just need one of Sikura or Hayden to really step it up, or land another free agent that can split 2nd/3rd line LW.

Which two wings do you put with that third line shutdown center?

I’m guessing Nash and Hino? I think Grabner could be an interesting option

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Which two wings do you put with that third line shutdown center?

I’m guessing Nash and Hino? I think Grabner could be an interesting option
might sound a bit crazy, but you could put Saad there with Hino. Kane and Toews could work with either Sikura or Hayden at LW...I think Kane would really benefit playing with Hayden like McDavid did with Maroon...

If we assume Anisimov gets traded, or we feel he can be that #3 shutdown guy, you can then go get a Riley Nash/Derek Ryan and keep AA and Schmaltz at C. Ryan can play LW/RW as well, and despite Fiddy who I am convinced has no clue who Ryan is, can play solid defense, he has been relied heavily the past 2 years to do that in Carolina and be a top pk guy.

why not try

Hayden - Toews - Kane - Hayden opens up ice for these two and works down low which Toews needs
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Hinostrozza - youth, youth, and more youth
Saad - Anisimov - Ryan - yeah, this is a pretty sick third line
Sikura - Kampf - Wingels - tough energy line, let Sikura earn his role and he can swap with Ryan/Hino at times.

damn, I like that lineup as well lol!

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
might sound a bit crazy, but you could put Saad there with Hino. Kane and Toews could work with either Sikura or Hayden at LW...I think Kane would really benefit playing with Hayden like McDavid did with Maroon...

If we assume Anisimov gets traded, or we feel he can be that #3 shutdown guy, you can then go get a Riley Nash/Derek Ryan and keep AA and Schmaltz at C. Ryan can play LW/RW as well, and despite Fiddy who I am convinced has no clue who Ryan is, can play solid defense, he has been relied heavily the past 2 years to do that in Carolina and be a top pk guy.

why not try

Hayden - Toews - Kane - Hayden opens up ice for these two and works down low which Toews needs
Sikura - Kampf - Wingels - tough energy line, let Sikura earn his role and he can swap with Ryan/Hino at times.

I like this, but I'd swap DCat and Hayden. I really want DCat and Kane together and with Toews in between them we instantly have one of the best top lines in the league. Hayden adds some nice size to compliment Schmaltz and Vinnie. Also don't rule out Kahun and Ejdsell playing their way into the lineup.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I like this, but I'd swap DCat and Hayden. I really want DCat and Kane together and with Toews in between them we instantly have one of the best top lines in the league. Hayden adds some nice size to compliment Schmaltz and Vinnie. Also don't rule out Kahun and Ejdsell playing their way into the lineup.

I think I’d try Hayden up top first, just to see if Toews and Kane can get it done alone, and let DeBrincat and Schmaltz kill it on a sheltered second line.

If it doesn’t work, then bump DeBrincat up.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have advocated Kane and Cat together as well, but to me what is more important- getting Toews going or playing Cat with Kane? For me, Toews needs Kane to produce, Cat does not. Cat and Schmaltz will produce, I have no fears in that...but yes, in an ideal world where Toews was his old self, Kane and Cat 1000% for me...

As for Kahun and Ejdsell, sorry but we have seen this time and again only to watch these guys flame out. I heard Pokka was going to step in right away and that didn't happen. Ejdsell has to get better at skating, not sold on him at all. Kahun is the wild card here, but needs to get acclimated to North American ice and likely needs AHL seasoning. I expect both to be early call ups if they prove they can play at this level, but my expectation is neither makes opening night.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

why not try

So now that we have a better idea of who will be on the roster -

Hayden-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Sikura
Saad-Anisimov-Hinostroza
Martinsen-Kampf-Kunitz ???

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
So now that we have a better idea of who will be on the roster -

Hayden-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Sikura
Saad-Anisimov-Hinostroza
Martinsen-Kampf-Kunitz ???

Kahun over Martinsen and I think that might be it. And I’m kind of happy. Kunitz isn’t Wingels and wont provide what Tommy does but Kunitz is more skilled.

I dont want to speculate the D... I’m gonna be upset. Gustafsson and / or Oesterle is gone probably. Hopefully for picks.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Kahun over Martinsen and I think that might be it. And I’m kind of happy. Kunitz isn’t Wingels and wont provide what Tommy does but Kunitz is more skilled.

I dont want to speculate the D... I’m gonna be upset. Gustafsson and / or Oesterle is gone probably. Hopefully for picks.

Hopefully both are as Forsling claims a second pairing spot in camp, and doesn’t let it go.

Reactions: migi

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Kunitz seems to sneak his way onto the top line, would not be surprised to see this..

Kunitz-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Hinostroza
Debrincat-Anisimov-Sikura
Edjsell-Kampf-Hayden

:help::help::help::help:

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
I honestly think Toews should be removed from the 1st line until he wakes up and plays like he is capable of. Toews was terrible last year and what makes you think he will be any better this year. Keith was a total disaster last year and if he starts out like that this year, bench him and let the young guys play. Too much money wrapped up in guys like Toews & Keith to just let them play however they please. Bowman should be fired by now but I guess Wirtz knows diddly squat about hockey and doesn't care if he loses money.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I honestly think Toews should be removed from the 1st line until he wakes up and plays like he is capable of. Toews was terrible last year and what makes you think he will be any better this year. Keith was a total disaster last year and if he starts out like that this year, bench him and let the young guys play. Too much money wrapped up in guys like Toews & Keith to just let them play however they please. Bowman should be fired by now but I guess Wirtz knows diddly squat about hockey and doesn't care if he loses money.

I’ve bounced back and forth on this. I think rationally, you build your first line around your best forward, and that’s Kane.

So then it come down to who is best for Kane, Toews or Schmaltz?

Also, do you want Toews complimenting Kane, or running a two-way second line?

It’s tough set of decisions.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Toews was 'decent' with a rookie Schmaltz and 45 pt Panik... if we can relegate him to the "third line" (but still his ice-time would barely drop due to PK and PP time) - perhaps the team would do better as whole.

Hinostroza is better than 20 year old Schmaltz, and Kahun isn't as good as Panik, but has different qualities that could make him dangerous.

Debrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Sikura
Kahun-Toews-Hinostroza
Kunitz-Kampf-Hayden (this looks like a perfect line for 70% d-zone starts lol)

Nazem Kadri was/is the "3C" on Toronto, but still puts up 50+ pts a year, and played more minutes than Bozak.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad