Todd Reirden says T.J. Oshie will be out a while | No suspension for Warren Foegele

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Naw man...just pointing out that these responses come across as holier than thou and any objective observer would point out the same.

Good for the gander and all that noise

So the logic of your response is that because Tom Wilson does something, it's OK for TJ Oshie to have his collarbone broken. OK - sure - that makes perfect sense.

Canes fans need to accept that what Foegle did was dangerous and reckless and stop with the false equivalents and excuses.

Caps fans need to accept that the outcome was worth than the intent. I don't think for one second that Foegle intended to hurt Oshie - I just think it was a dumb play. Had that been Kadri, I'd be more concerned about intent.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Nah, it's that the Caps and their fanbase are incapable of seeing their hypocrisy when one of their guys gets laid out.

Which seems more likely:

Only the entire Caps fanbase sees things through homer glasses and every fan of every other team is objective

or

Every fan base has a loud vocal minority who say homer things that get most of the attention from opposing team fans?

I get it. Its hard to not paint an entire fan base based off what the extreme 2-3 posters say ... because that doesnt feed into our narrative and we are looking for confirmation bias, not open dialogue with an open mind.

^^ This is basically how any conversation on the internet seems to go about anything. The debate could be coal guys vs gas guys in grilling ... and the loud extreme views would get all the attention even though the majority of people having boring centrist views.
-------------------------------
I dont post on here a lot .. but yesh, there is A LOT of discussion just painting other teams fans as illogical or homer or stupid or whiny etc ... i do it to. I am one of the sheep for sure.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The difference being that Tom Wilson actually got suspended

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So the logic of your response is that because Tom Wilson does something, it's OK for TJ Oshie to have his collarbone broken. OK - sure - that makes perfect sense.

In the bolded, you should insert the word "dangerous/reckless"

Let's change the sentence

The logic of my response is that Caps fans shouldn't be up in arms when an opposing player does something dangerous/reckless because they employ a player who does dangerous/reckless things himself. Heck in this very same game there is video evidence of Caps players hitting high- the evidence speaks for itself here.

Oshie himself has done borderline things; again we have video evidence. Yet these are rationalized by the fanbase (no surprise obviously).

So yes, sorry if the hypocrisy gets to me regardless of my fandom.

I've maintained my stance throughout this thread that what happened to Oshie should be a penalty regardless of him getting hurt. So if you want to call me anything, inconsistent isn't one of them

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

The logic of my response is that Caps fans shouldn't be up in arms when an opposing player does something dangerous/reckless because they employ a player who does dangerous/reckless things himself. Heck in this very same game there is video evidence of Caps players hitting high- the evidence speaks for itself here.

Oshie himself has done borderline things; again we have video evidence. Yet these are rationalized by the fanbase (no surprise obviously).

I've maintained my stance throughout this thread that what happened to Oshie should be a penalty regardless of him getting hurt. So if you want to call me anything, inconsistent isn't one of them

I'm one of those Caps fans that think the push wasn't egregious. Unfortunate yes, but it wasn't a "forceful" shove. I've stated in the Caps-Canes series thread that the crosscheck into Oshie's neck by Hadyn Fleury during game 3 was much worse, and probably should have been suspension worthy.

I'm fine with not suspending Foegele on this. But you do have to admit that if this was Tom Wilson instead of Foegele, he would have been suspended for the rest of the playoffs.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013

To start with, I didn't call you inconsistent. I didn't call you anything. It's a nice debate tactic to deny a charge I never leveled.

I was just trying to understand your comment that "what's good for the goose is good for the gander". You're implying that Caps fans shouldn't be upset about what happened to Oshie because of something Tom Wilson has done in the past. There are plenty of Caps fans unhappy with what Wilson has done in the past, just as there are plenty of Canes fans who wish Foegle hadn't hit Oshie.

If someone lays out Aho with a reckless/dangerous play, I don't expect anyone to turn around and says "that's fine" because of what Foegle did. Foegle is responsible for what Foegle does, not Aho. Just as Wilson is responsible for what Wilson does - not Oshie, as you are implying.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'm one of those Caps fans that think the push wasn't egregious. Unfortunate yes, but it wasn't a "forceful" shove. I've stated in the Caps-Canes series thread that the crosscheck into Oshie's neck by Hadyn Fleury during game 3 was much worse, and probably should have been suspension worthy.

I'm fine with not suspending Foegele on this. But you do have to admit that if this was Tom Wilson instead of Foegele, he would have been suspended for the rest of the playoffs.

Well Foegle doesn't have the league discipline history that Tom Wilson earned. So yea I'd say a suspension MIGHT be in order.
I don't think the shove was egregious either, but it is a dangerous play that I wish the refs would be more tight on

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018

This just isn't true. Tom Wilson had 4 hits worse than this in last year's playoffs alone. He was not suspended (or even fined) for the first, second or fourth hits. Only the third hit (ZAR) was suspended.

I don't know why everyone thinks the NHL is out to get TW. He has gotten away with his fair share of "questionable" hits. Heck, he laid a worse hit not long after Oshie went down. Only difference was that the recipient of that hit wasn't trying to draw a penalty, so he stayed on his feet.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
This just isn't true. Tom Wilson had 4 hits worse than this in last year's playoffs alone. He was not suspended (or even fined) for the first, second or fourth hits. Only the third hit (ZAR) was suspended.

I don't know why everyone thinks the NHL is out to get TW. He has gotten away with his fair share of "questionable" hits. Heck, he laid a worse hit not long after Oshie went down. Only difference was that the recipient of that hit wasn't trying to draw a penalty, so he stayed on his feet.

Well that's a new twist.

I've heard the hit explained away because Oshie put himself in that dangerous situation.
And I've heard it explained away that Oshie simply lost an edge.
But this is the first time I've heard it explained away by claiming Oshie was at fault because he intentionally left his feet and crashed into the boards because was trying to draw a penalty.

I've said it multiple times before. Canes fans need to just accept it was a bad hit. Period. Full stop.
And Caps fans need to accept the outcome was far worse than the intent. Period. Full stop.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The team of Tom Wilson and Dale Hunter will not get any sympathy
Yeah Hunter still plays I guess? And What does Wilson have to do with anything? Do you even know what the concept of relevance is? Maybe someone should explain it to you.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

This is fantastic. I’ve never seen someone break their collarbone trying to draw a penalty.

What a truly foolish crusade you have adopted.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Yeah Hunter still plays I guess? And What does Wilson have to do with anything? Do you even know what the concept of relevance is? Maybe someone should explain it to you.
Wilson has an extensive history of dirty plays injuring others. So Caps fans complaining when it's done to them is hypocritical. And Hunter had maybe the cheapest shot in history, so it's worth reminding of that.

Last edited:

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver

This is a joke right? You mean to say that Oshie would fling himself full speed into the boards in an attempt to draw a penalty? Come on, I know you're a Pens fan but you could at least try to hide your bias. Also, how was that Wilson hit worse? Faulk saw the hit coming, braced himself, and he wasn't off balance. Totally different situation.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wilson has an extensive history of dirty plays injuring others. So Caps fans complaining when it's done to them is hypocritical. And Hunter had maybe the cheapest shot in history, so it's worth reminding of that.
Again, go look up the term relevance and get back to us.

I suppose Wilson’s hits on Dumolin and Aston-Reese were just karma for Ulf Samuelsson, Darius Kasparaitis, and Matt Cooke, among others. I spelled out their names so you can look them up as I’m sure you weren’t a fan when they played.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Hmmm doubled down on stupid with childish, an interesting tactic. Why are you posting in this thread? Oh yeah I guess you don’t have anything better to do these days. Not like you’ll be watching anything or cheering for anyone.

Yes you've caught me... I definitely hate watching hockey

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't see it being suspension worthy. Not condoning cross-checking, but there's been a lot of it in these playoffs.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Well that's a new twist.

I've heard the hit explained away because Oshie put himself in that dangerous situation.
And I've heard it explained away that Oshie simply lost an edge.
But this is the first time I've heard it explained away by claiming Oshie was at fault because he intentionally left his feet and crashed into the boards because was trying to draw a penalty.

I've said it multiple times before. Canes fans need to just accept it was a bad hit. Period. Full stop.
And Caps fans need to accept the outcome was far worse than the intent. Period. Full stop.

This is fantastic. I’ve never seen someone break their collarbone trying to draw a penalty.

What a truly foolish crusade you have adopted.

This is a joke right? You mean to say that Oshie would fling himself full speed into the boards in an attempt to draw a penalty? Come on, I know you're a Pens fan but you could at least try to hide your bias. Also, how was that Wilson hit worse? Faulk saw the hit coming, braced himself, and he wasn't off balance. Totally different situation.
Caps have been relying on their power play for 15 years. When they need a goal, and begin to get frustrated and impatient, they start trying to draw penalties.

Oshie is incredibly strong on his feet. He's asked to play in the trenches because he can stay upright when being abused. This "hit" was barely much of a shove. 95% of decent skaters don't even lose their balance to a shove like this. Especially not Oshie.

Guy felt a horizontal stick in his lower back, so he went down. He was at least 10 feet from the boards when he started his fall. Total fluke that it results in a broken collarbone. Oshie never thought that it would result in an injury.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Both guys were suspended for their actions though... sooooooooo, in a thread asking for a suspension this seems a bit off the mark, no?

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Back in an era when boarding wasn’t as big a deal, Salei got 10 games for boarding Mike modano

For a reckless stupid play that ended a players season, I would expect some sort of punishment. Thank you NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad