Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Um because they didn't have a Draisaitl McDavid with a few years experience?

Little different when your centres are Roy and will acton.
excuses for that "depth" of talent but none now...ok then

it was embarrassing that that team couldn't even manage 30 wins in a season with Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Schultz, Dubnyk

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

There are going to be some concrete changes“, Gulutzan offered. He then went on to embellish that with the fact that the adjustment in style would be “visible“.

In the 5-on-5 play is probably where we’re going to go with things that are going to speed up the rate with which we play”, he said, and then a few beats later added “we think it’s really going to speed up our pace of play“.

Reactions: Cypress and Aerrol

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Although "visible" sounds too much like "visual" to me, this is good news. McLellan hockey with super stationary wingers either in the zone just inside the blue line, or camping out in the neutral zone waiting for lame stretch passes to tip in, along with D ringing crap around the boards without looking like robots was definitely grating to watch. Hope there really is something that can be done to get these guys more heads up and in motion in their own end looking for some transition play with possession, and not having just 1 line on the team that can get past all the system lameness thanks to McDavid's individual end to end efforts.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Gulutzan's Flames teams were "fancy stats" darlings...they always had good corsi and fenwick number's and that won't change now that he's working with McLellan

I'm hoping Viveiros can work his PP magic like he did in Swift Current and Yawney turned the Oiler PK into a dominant one

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Gulutzan's Flames teams were "fancy stats" darlings...they always had good corsi and fenwick number's and that won't change now that he's working with McLellan

I'm hoping Viveiros can work his PP magic like he did in Swift Current and Yawney turned the Oiler PK into a dominant one

I think the flames were a decent transition team though. I definitely don't want to go back to an Eakins age of shooting from anywhere once inside the zone, but this team badly needs some creativity with their breakouts and transition. We really hit a wall last year with teams knowing what our players were gonna do before we did it, especially with the lame ring around the boards to a stationary winger just inside our blue line play.

TO be fair though, the flames undeniably had better puck moving D than us. But, I also think many of our D were allowed to find too much security in our junky set plays too and the push was not there to really try to do more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I looked at some stats and it's shocking how offensively unproductive this Oilers team is without McDavid on the ice. I mean we all know it's bad but I didn't realize it's THIS bad....

Over the past 3 seasons...

At ES when McDavid is on the ice the team generates .595 shots per minute and their shooting percentage is 10.61%

Without McDavid on the ice at ES their shooting rate drops to .480 shots per minute and their shooting percentage drops to 6.88%

Basically without McDavid on the ice... it's as if the team is facing continuous Vezina level goaltending.

The Power Play is a similar story, with McDavid on the ice they generate .990 shots/minute and have a shooting percentage of 13.23% and when he's not on the ice that drops to .800 shots/minute and a shooting percentage of 10.55%

It will be impossible for this team to go anywhere near the playoffs if this team remains a 1 line team even if McDavid goes nuclear and rises up and carries this team even more so on his back than he's already doing.

Hopefully the coaching changes can ring some more offense out of this team from somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think the flames were a decent transition team though. I definitely don't want to go back to an Eakins age of shooting from anywhere once inside the zone, but this team badly needs some creativity with their breakouts and transition. We really hit a wall last year with teams knowing what our players were gonna do before we did it, especially with the lame ring around the boards to a stationary winger just inside our blue line play.

TO be fair though, the flames undeniably had better puck moving D than us. But, I also think many of our D were allowed to find too much security in our junky set plays too and the push was not there to really try to do more.

Yup. Hopefully we cut down a bit on blind shots up the boards to get it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: oobga

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
As a life long sharks fan, I really hope yall keep Todd around. I would imagine it would be very much similar to the sharks vs kings series. Yeah so what, you guys won a series, but todd vs a playoff coach like Pete will lose over the course of years, and probably in an embarrassing fashion. That would bring justice to the sharks.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Funny stat from the athletic, doing an analysis of how much coaches are squeezing from their teams in the most coach influenced 5v5 situation, right after a faceoff.

Oilers were the only team in the league last year that didn't manage a goal within 10s of an offensive zone faceoff win. We allowed 4 goals somehow from that situation (usually faceoff win that is missed, and puck goes back to our end as a breakaway). We were the only team in the NHL with a negative goal differential from that situation. Average was +7.

Last team to not get 1 goal within 10s of an offensive zone faceoff win? 12/13 SJ Sharks.

At the very least, it's pretty funny.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
We’re we good in any areas that are heavily dependent on coaching? It’s almost like we have a bad coach or something.

Possibly to likely.

The coaching staff changes will help hopefully.

Either McLellan reacts to the pressure of having his heir apparent on the bench or he is gone.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hey look who can't motivate his team 5 minutes into a game.
When was the last time these jokers had a good start?

I know I'll never have McDavid take an opening faceoff! That will show them!

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Narrator: they did not.

Saw some players comment about how McLellan and gang are taking dump and chase to the next level this year. More dumping, with the hopes that our chase game is gonna be ELITE!

While every other team in the league is realising that keeping possession on entries is better by basically every statistical way you can look at it. So much of our neutral zone plays revolve around the lame tips into the zone off long passes and the dumps. Sigh...

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Saw some players comment about how McLellan and gang are taking dump and chase to the next level this year. More dumping, with the hopes that our chase game is gonna be ELITE!

While every other team in the league is realising that keeping possession on entries is better by basically every statistical way you can look at it. So much of our neutral zone plays revolve around the lame tips into the zone off long passes and the dumps. Sigh...

If I wasn't already sure this was coaching, I'm already noticing our dmen are doing it even more so far (preseason and this game). Including guys like Nurse who were previously trying different things. I don't think Nurse tried to rush it once this game... Just rang it up the boards. Hooray Todd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad