Confirmed with Link: Todd Mclellan named head coach

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
In the end, I am resigned to it. He is a far better coach than whatever it was that we just had... He has had success reaching the playoffs and working with veterans and youth alike. Hard to pin Edmonton on him, but also hard to give him tons of props for San Jose. This will be a good test for him and the organization. As long as he holds the players accountable and puts them on the ledge, I am fine with it. It is time to put the pitchfork to some of these guys and clear out the dead weight in the locker room.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
In the end, I am resigned to it. He is a far better coach than whatever it was that we just had... He has had success reaching the playoffs and working with veterans and youth alike. Hard to pin Edmonton on him, but also hard to give him tons of props for San Jose. This will be a good test for him and the organization. As long as he holds the players accountable and puts them on the ledge, I am fine with it. It is time to put the pitchfork to some of these guys and clear out the dead weight in the locker room.

with the same logic, it will also be difficult to pin LA's season failures on him too

i don't see how LA's current roster is vastly superior to EDM's at the time

i guess we can only determine how good or bad McLellan is if he coaches a middle of the pack team like Minnesota or Montreal?

to me that's rubbish

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
with the same logic, it will also be difficult to pin LA's season failures on him too

i don't see how LA's current roster is vastly superior to EDM's at the time

i guess we can only determine how good or bad McLellan is if he coaches a middle of the pack team like Minnesota or Montreal?

to me that's rubbish

Hard to say, he hasn't coached a game for us yet, but what I meant by that is that we are going to have a mix of a lot of veterans and a lot of youth. He has been on teams that have been heavy on both sides. It will be interesting to see what he does with the Kings since he has experience working with both. That's all.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

I don't mind it at all, because as you pointed out, the last guy was as bad as they come. The lack of success has more to do with SJ and their room than him him my eyes. He had all the talent to win, but those stack teams never came together as one, the way championship team do. Who was their Justin Williams or Quick who said, "F-this, we're not going down like this!"?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Absolute rubbish article. This is what McKenzie said.

A big difference between will and may. While the article will likely turn out to be correct, pretty shoddy of this publication to twist what the man said.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

A big difference between will and may. While the article will likely turn out to be correct, pretty shoddy of this publication to twist what the man said.

I honestly didnt even read the link in the op. But you are correct, big difference.

3firstnames

Dabbler. Dilettante.
Apr 18, 2018
Long Beach
The length of his contract will determine how I feel about this. 2-3 years? Meh. More than 4? Pretty upset. That's just a knee-jerk reaction, though.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I put a question mark in the title because its not official yet even though its the worst kept secret in hockey right now.

I always liked how his Sharks teams played while he was there and I thought he did a good job bringing youth along the way. Its hard to judge his tenure in Edmonton because that roster was poorly constructed and a lot of Edmonton's issues run from upper management. I think what he could bring immediately is that he probably will have the respect of the veterans because of the amount games they've played against his teams and vice versa. But its still a wait and see. Bluc have to hit on their next coach or else they're gone as well.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Agreed.

That site is also reporting Conor McDavid has asked for a trade and Seattle’s mayor leaked their team name.

Seems like a click bait site that is affiliated with Eklund. :laugh:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
McLellan is a pretty good coach but I think the Sharks power play did a lot of the work for him on the backs of Thornton, Pavelski and Burns who are all excellent at it. He won´t have that luxury here. Also Sutter clearly outcoached him two playoffs in a row.

Still, if McLellan is the guy Blake wants then I hope the Kings get him. I don´t want second choices. And if it´s a failure then Blake will be gone along with him.

Reactions: kingsofLA and Telos

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
McLellan will be fine. Interesting to see who he brings in as his staff.
He'll probably try to bring an up tempo style, problem is we don't have the top end talent to make that system successful yet.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
McLellan will be fine. Interesting to see who he brings in as his staff.
He'll probably try to bring an up tempo style, problem is we don't have the top end talent to make that system successful yet.
Bring in WD40 as an assistant. Guaranteed draft lottery pick next year!

Jun 30, 2006
The length of his contract will determine how I feel about this. 2-3 years? Meh. More than 4? Pretty upset. That's just a knee-jerk reaction, though.

The contract length isn’t the question but how long do the vets give him before tuning him out, mailing it in at practices, placing garbage cans to block the coach from going into the locker room etc?

Interesting that Buffalo didn’t even offer Tmac a contract.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Holy shit, that is terrible timing lol. That may affect the TM deal. LA is notoriously stingy with their coaching salaries. We give them out to everyone, but they aren't that high dollar. Even Sutter's extension after winning the cup was $3 million per season. If we match that then we'd be looking at the most expensive coaching contract we've ever given out, and TM has a stronger coaching record... Ouch.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Still terribly bewildered why it’s taken Blake so long. The dude has had six months to figure out this move, meanwhile every other coach worth noting has already been accounted for. I didn’t have much faith in Blake from the get go, but I’m losing what I did have very quickly. He has no vision.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Still terribly bewildered why it’s taken Blake so long. The dude has had six months to figure out this move, meanwhile every other coach worth noting has already been accounted for. I didn’t have much faith in Blake from the get go, but I’m losing what I did have very quickly. He has no vision.

Maybe he’s looking to speak to an assistant coach or two who’s teams are involved in the playoffs.

Have to wait till said team(s) eliminated in order to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad