Tobias Enstrom

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Leads defencemen in scoring with 11 points in 8 games. Next closest is Shattenkirk with 9 in 8 or Markov with with 8 in6.

Think hell be able to keep his lead on the defencemen scoring lead? How many points will he end up with?

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Before the season started i figured he would be tops on our team in pts, if not first.

He's an elite point producing dman. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win the scoring race for dmen.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Leads defencemen in scoring with 11 points in 8 games. Next closest is Shattenkirk with 9 in 8 or Markov with with 8 in6.

Think hell be able to keep his lead on the defencemen scoring lead? How many points will he end up with?

Possible, but I doubt it... I can see him ending in the top 10 though.
Here's why:

He's 18th in even strength pts/min
He's 11th in PP pts/min

The reason why he's ahead of a lot of the guys above him is he has 3 extra 5v5 mins and 2 extra 5v4 mins than the rest due to our currently absent defensive depth.

Another reason why is because Enstrom is a role guy. When Byfuglien and/or Bogosian are available, he allows these two guys to control the offense, but when they are out he actively tries to create the offense.

Once Bogosian and Byfuglien return he'll stop being on the hunt for creating points and will also lose 5v5 and 5v4 time.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Possible, but I doubt it... I can see him ending in the top 10 though.
Here's why:

He's 18th in even strength pts/min
He's 11th in PP pts/min

The reason why he's ahead of a lot of the guys above him is he has 3 extra 5v5 mins and 2 extra 5v4 mins than the rest due to our currently absent defensive depth.

Another reason why is because Enstrom is a role guy. When Byfuglien and/or Bogosian are available, he allows these two guys to control the offense, but when they are out he actively tries to create the offense.

Once Bogosian and Byfuglien return he'll stop being on the hunt for creating points and will also lose 5v5 and 5v4 time.

No, he's killing it.

Our best player thus far.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
My guess, he'll end up with 36 points. Im a big Toby fan, id just prefer that he plays with Bogo, while Buff plays with Hainsey.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
No, he's killing it.

Our best player thus far.

Huh?? I wasn't saying he wasn't our best player? :help:
Look at my Enstrom breakdown earlier this season... I'm a HUGE supporter of the guy...

I was just saying that when Byfuglien and Bogosian return two things will happen:
* his 5v5 and 5v4 time will be reduced since we'll have real D depth and ability to create two real PP pairs
* you will see him start to shoot less again because he likes to set-up and play a little less agressive

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Huh?? I wasn't saying he wasn't our best player? :help:
Look at my Enstrom breakdown earlier this season... I'm a HUGE supporter of the guy...

I was just saying that when Byfuglien and Bogosian return two things will happen:
* his 5v5 and 5v4 time will be reduced since we'll have real D depth and ability to create two real PP pairs
* you will see him start to shoot less again because he likes to set-up and play a little less agressive

When Buff comes back, he'll play with Toby, on the first power play unit, they'll be on the ice for most offensive zone faceoff's. Bogosian and will get secondary PP time, and most of the defensive zone starts.

I'm also not convinced that Bogo will come back and shine like he did last season.

Anyhow, stop crushing my dreams of Toby winning the dman scoring race!!! :cry:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
When Buff comes back, he'll play with Toby, on the first power play unit, they'll be on the ice for most offensive zone faceoff's. Bogosian and will get secondary PP time, and most of the defensive zone starts.

I'm also not convinced that Bogo will come back and shine like he did last season.

Anyhow, stop crushing my dreams of Toby winning the dman scoring race!!! :cry:

I just meant that both Bogo and Buff would have to come back to reduce the TOI... because if just one comes back Noel will still heavily lean on the first pair like he did the first 4 games.

But, I'll stop. :)

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I just meant that both Bogo and Buff would have to come back to reduce the TOI... because if just one comes back Noel will still heavily lean on the first pair like he did the first 4 games.

But, I'll stop. :)

For sure.

I'll have to admit that last season i was not a fan of Toby, it's become pretty obvious that last season was a bogus season for him.

I honestly don't know how you couldn't want him out there in all situations. He's fantastic.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Toby has been really good this year. I wasn't his biggest fan last year. He still struggles sometimes with clearing the front of the net and with big guys but he has been so good moving the puck and offensively it really doesn't bug me like last year.

Last edited:

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
For sure.

I'll have to admit that last season i was not a fan of Toby, it's become pretty obvious that last season was a bogus season for him.

I honestly don't know how you couldn't want him out there in all situations. He's fantastic.

I was a fan of him from the start. He was a bit raw and apprehensive at first, but you could see his talent and skating ability right away. Just needed time.

Baffles me why some think he lost his ability for a while. It's always been there.
The team played bad in many stretches , his partner played bad on many occasions, he wasn't 100% for every one of those games when he had to cover a good bit of bad play. Trade talks about him came up here.

Overly reactionary/sensitive response to say the least.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Has has been good at putting up points this year.

He is still turning the puck over, and is getting man handled by opposition forwards

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This thread ought to get interesting since Enstrom just may be the most polarizing guy on the team. I try to walk the fence with him. He is without a doubt one of the most gifted offensive d-man in the league, and has the skill to be the top point getting defenseman. while he is not bad on defense his defensive play is no where equal to his offensive play. Case in point would be a game like last night where he gets 3 points but is -3 and we lose 8-3. While I don't put the blame for the loss on Enstrom our team is absolutely horrible across the board defensively right now as we have given 22 goals over the last 4 games. Personally I would take a dramatic drop in his production if it coincided with this team starting to play real team defense.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't see anyone but Byfuglien or Karlsson leading D scoring unless both miss significant time due to injury.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
We have 3 d-men in the top 25 for defensive scoring this season. Not too bad.

The problem is that, apart from Buff, the three have been pretty poor doing what their position demands. Buff had a poor game against Montreal, but his defence has improved over last season. He's the lynchpin in the back end.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Looking good this year outside of that Islanders game iirc where he got burned a couple times.

No kidding. He has really stepped it up this year. Everyone noticed that game, but nobody talked about how he stripped Malkin/Crosby multiple times and constantly beat them along the boards.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
No kidding. He has really stepped it up this year. Everyone noticed that game, but nobody talked about how he stripped Malkin/Crosby multiple times and constantly beat them along the boards.

Meh, some people are just looking for him to fail so they can be right. They will never admit him doing well. We have the same kind of people on the boards who will always be against Buff, Hainsey, Scheifele and others, no matter what they do.

Funny thing is that these people are usually among the first to defend one of the others who are being attacked as soon as they make a mistake.

Regarding the topic, I just want him back with Buff so we have one of the best pairings in the league back. Right now he's the main offensive weapon on the blueline, so he will pick up points. I'm guessing he'll end up with 30-40 points this season.

The last game really wasn't a good indication on any of our players, be it Scheifele looking good in a game where everyone sucked, Enström getting three points but being -3 (how often does that happen to him?), or anything else really. Hopefully that includes Pavelec looking horribad, but I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I was a fan of him from the start. He was a bit raw and apprehensive at first, but you could see his talent and skating ability right away. Just needed time.

Baffles me why some think he lost his ability for a while. It's always been there.
The team played bad in many stretches , his partner played bad on many occasions, he wasn't 100% for every one of those games when he had to cover a good bit of bad play. Trade talks about him came up here.

Overly reactionary/sensitive response to say the least.

I actually do believe he was playing hurt most of last season. It's the only logical answer to his poor play mid season.

He was great towards to end of last season. He's an elite skater, smooth and his first step is amazingly quick. I would like to see him skate the puck more often, he can skate with the best of them but we don't see him break out with the puck very often.

He almost seems hesitant to do it at times.

Go Enstrom Go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad