Post-Game Talk: To catch a predator 7:37pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Gotta say that if this is a Jensen "good" game, that's an issue. I'm trying to figure out how Jensen at RD is better than Djoos at RD (he is one of the few Caps D who seem to be able to play their off side). Both get physically overmatched. Both can skate with the puck. Djoos' hockey IQ is so much better. Djoos makes less than 1/2 the money.

I get that there are not a ton of palatable options, but count me as one of the concerned with Jensen at 2RD if we aspire to the Cup.

Reactions: RandyHolt

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Incorrect.

I said, tie it up and win in in OT and get Holtby off the hook.

I was attacked for that for some bizarre reason.

I want the team to win. Holtby had a bad game but I wanted the team to bail him out.

It’s like some people wanted the Caps to lose so that they could pile on Holtby more.

Really? You were attacked? :laugh:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Really? You were attacked? :laugh:

Yep. Your snarky remark was in response to me wishing the Caps would come back and win it in OT and get Holtby off the hook.

“Uhhh the dude has be abysmal for 3 years straight.. We're paying him alot of money for AHL backup goalie worthy stats. And cost us game 7 in the first round last year.”

Well, I guess you are happy now. The Caps lost and Holtby got the L.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
QZ3OCWV.png

I don't want to say this game is entirely Holtby's fault because we were gifted 2 goals. But just one less goal allowed (the SHG they got because of his terrible pass) and this would've at least gone to OT.

5.11 GAA and .792 SV%. That's brutal. He had some nice saves but statistically this was his worst game of the season in which he played the full 60.

His two worst games overall were when he allowed 4 on 11 shots and got pulled in the 7-3 loss to Boston and the other was when he allowed 3 on 3 shots against the Colorado and got pulled. But I guess you could say that statistically he was infinitely better in this game than that Avs game...

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Caps are 7-3 in their last 10 and just killed a 4 game win streak. I don't see any reason for a meltdown over this game. But enjoy

Because the Pens are surging and might take 1st spot if Caps don't hold them off

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Yes... for a 6 million dollar cap hit.. We have the right to be as smug as we want. He's not performing.... not for a week.. or two... but for 3 years straight.

Holtby was winning the Stanley Cup 20 months ago while you were generating simpleton hot takes on the internet.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This is why I don’t want to touch the forwards (4th line pie squares cut off for me, have to click)

Reactions: searle

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Like somebody else said -- regardless of how Holtby is playing, 50/50 workload makes sense to me. Who cares about the reg. season points. Holtby gets opportunities to work out his issues, Samsonov stays fresh, the team loses some games to stay humble.

Also, the PP criticism is totally understandable in general, but in this game I thought it was working pretty well -- they looked like they were generating plenty of shots.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Yep. Your snarky remark was in response to me wishing the Caps would come back and win it in OT and get Holtby off the hook.

“Uhhh the dude has be abysmal for 3 years straight.. We're paying him alot of money for AHL backup goalie worthy stats. And cost us game 7 in the first round last year.”

Well, I guess you are happy now. The Caps lost and Holtby got the L.

that's an attack? :laugh:

It's a downright miracle you made it this far in life.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Holtby was winning the Stanley Cup 20 months ago while you were generating simpleton hot takes on the internet.

Yes, so we must keep him on the payroll forever even though he's been a bottom tier goalie for quite a while now.. :rolleyes:

Matt Murray was a 2 time cup winner... now backup.

Sorry your feelings are hurt.. but doesn't change the fact that he's a terrible goalie.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Caps are 7-3 in their last 10 and just killed a 4 game win streak. I don't see any reason for a meltdown over this game. But enjoy
It's a fair point, I think there's just frustration that the coaching staff continue to play Holtby over Samsonov despite the former being brutal.

I hope others are right and they're going to do an even split to make sure Samsonov keeps getting reps and Holtby gets a chance to find his game, but if Holtby gets 60-70% of the starts indefinitely you've got to question whether the staff will be loyal to a fault (akin to playing Alzner when his groin was shredded and he could barely walk)

I guess you'll never hear the coach say "he's been playing like shit right now so we're giving him 5-10 more games to sort his life out or he's riding the bench", but boy I hope that's the situation with a guy who is very likely a FA in 6 months time, no matter how much he's done for the franchise (which is a lot)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
It’s incredible they are leading the league in points with one of the 3 worst starters in the NHL this year. It’s been a month and a half of this. Time for Sammy to get the majority of the starts

Very deep F, bottom-6 is defensively competent, top-6 is just overpowered.
Competent D, Norris candidate, improved Orlov, superb human being Jensen, very solid 3rd pair.
Calder candidate in net.

They can stand some G failure.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

It's really impressive how you deflect blame from Holtby. In Holtby's last 10 he is 3-6 with a ND against NYI -- which would have and should have been a loss -- and a .837 save %. Two games above .900. One of his three wins came when he had a .818 save %. He is the worst player on the team right now and has been for almost the entire season, and he is the biggest liability they have on the roster right now. The team’s last 10 game record is irrelevant when discussing player performance without proper context.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heath and kogeh

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Holtby’s confidence seemed to crater after giving up that first goal - which was a baddie. And that can infect the team, but they actually bailed him out and delivered a lead going into the 3rd, and he then he wilted again. I think he’s a bit stuck in his head now, not trusting his technique and positioning, and when you’re stuck in your head everything moves more slowly.

You have to keep Sammy fresh, so it needs to be 50/50 split, because you saw how worn down Grubby was by the end of 2018 regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad