Player Discussion: To "B" or not to "B" [Mod: Nathan Beaulieu]

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I like how Nathan Beaulieu has been playing since coming to Winnipeg. He's been pretty decent in his own end and on the puck.
If he's willing to accept a favorable salary, I'd like to see the Jets re-sign him.
Opinions?

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I wouldn't mind him, but figure that he's likely (assuming we lose only one of Trouba/Myers with no replacement) a 5/6 pairing, I doubt we can afford him unless he takes a cut from his 2.4M salary

Reactions: BatVader

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
The Trouba-Beaulieu pairing at 190 minutes together has been Beaulieu's second longest pairing over the past two seasons. Yikes.

The pairing is current sporting a 0.84% RelCF% and -0.75% RelxGF%. That's pretty okay considering 44-8 has been 1.31% RelCF% and 3.08 RelxGF% as a top pairing for the past two seasons (with a total on-ice of 51.63% CF% and 52.3% xGF%).

The difference is, the 88-8 pairing is marginally better than the team at Corsi with a 46.34% CF% and marginally worse than the team at xG with a 43.91% xG%. That just reeks of huge underlying problems with this team at the moment.

All that being said, based on performance previous to January 14th (and as such, the data collected previous to then as well), he's certainly an upgrade on Morrow in terms of offense generation but there's still problems in terms of defense:
UPwE6Py.png

(small sample size alert!)

He's someone I'd keep as a 7th defenceman and possibly even over Chiarot (though 7's been playing much better as of recent, even though much better technically means not garbage), but we really don't know what he brings and at $2.4m as a RFA, that's tough to manage from a cap perspective.

Reactions: Ducky10 and AKAChip

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He is not a player who should be qualified at the 2.4 million that he right now makes considering the Jets cap situation. Similar to Morrow last season, let him become an UFA by not tendering a qualifying offer and if you like him sign him at 800k-1.2million range once he hits UFA.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm a much bigger fan of his than the HF Boards posters here. I'll tell you why, speed. Neither Chiarot nor Kulikov are particularly great skaters. Beaulieu has the jets. He also plays with an edge. For him to jump into a top pairing, ahead of both of those players says something about his value.

I'd qualify him, because I think he would be a top 4 upgrade.

Morrissey-? (Trouba/replacement)
Beaulieu-Buff
-------------------
Chiarot-Niku
Kulikov-Poolman
competing

That's my defensive depth. After watching Vancouver play, I have to believe that the market for Myers is going to get too high for us. If Morrissey goes out, next season, still no one can replace him, except Nate 88.

Reactions: Jet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Everything I have seen since Beaulieu has arrived tells me that when Morrissey comes back he won't be out.

I'd like to see Morrissey-Trouba, Beaulieu-Buff, and Chiarot-Myers to start the playoffs. Right now it is hard to see Kulikov being higher on the depth chart than Beaulieu.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm a much bigger fan of his than the HF Boards posters here. I'll tell you why, speed. Neither Chiarot nor Kulikov are particularly great skaters. Beaulieu has the jets. He also plays with an edge. For him to jump into a top pairing, ahead of both of those players says something about his value.

I'd qualify him, because I think he would be a top 4 upgrade.

Morrissey-? (Trouba/replacement)
Beaulieu-Buff
-------------------
Chiarot-Niku
Kulikov-Poolman
competing

That's my defensive depth. After watching Vancouver play, I have to believe that the market for Myers is going to get too high for us. If Morrissey goes out, next season, still no one can replace him, except Nate 88.

I honestly feel like I never notice him out there. I'd say that makes me feel more good than bad.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I like Bealieu. He can skate, seems to make good/ simple decisions, and you get the feeling he might have more to offer. Maybe some stability and confidence is what this former blue chipper needs?

We will have to see how the Jets D shakes down with Myers, Trouba, Kuli and Chia but he's the right age range for this group, too. I think he's worth what his QO will be.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I like Bealieu. He can skate, seems to make good/ simple decisions, and you get the feeling he might have more to offer. Maybe some stability and confidence is what this former blue chipper needs?

We will have to see how the Jets D shakes down with Myers, Trouba, Kuli and Chia but he's the right age range for this group, too. I think he's worth what his QO will be.
He’s QO will be 2.4 million or something similar if I understand correctly. You can’t offer him that based on a month of middling play after a number of underwhelming seasons. We don’t have the money to afford that and the risk is far too high. Guys like him look okay after being added only to revert back to their career norms the following season all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad