Proposal: TML <-> SJS goalies

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Freddy Andersen retained + 5th rd pick for Dubnyk

Leafs bring in Dubnyk to platoon with Campbell.
salaries and term will match after retention. low risk move for the Sharks and they add an asset

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
So the Leafs are paying for what is at best a lateral move?
seems to me the Andersen era is over. He can be a good goalie but has struggled this year and hasnt gotten it done in the playoffs. I recognize it is a lateral move but Dubnyk has shown to be a world class goalie at times and I would roll the dice that with a good team in front of him he may find some magic

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
seems to me the Andersen era is over. He can be a good goalie but has struggled this year and hasnt gotten it done in the playoffs. I recognize it is a lateral move but Dubnyk has shown to be a world class goalie at times and I would roll the dice that with a good team in front of him he may find some magic
So yes.

Thanks.

Pass.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Would make more sense if SJS retained salary and TOR paid up more to free up cap space for a bigger move in my opinion. And I believe some better goalies (Raanta ?) would be available and better for TOR with the same logic !

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Would make more sense if SJS retained salary and TOR paid up more to free up cap space for a bigger move in my opinion. And I believe some better goalies (Raanta ?) would be available and better for TOR with the same logic !

QFT. San Jose isn't doing anything this year... Toronto is a legitimate contender, with the assets to make a big splash if they want to, but not the cap space.

While I don't necessarily believe that the Leafs are ready to "pull the plug" on Andersen with a quarter of a season left on his deal, it is something they should probably consider if they can free up $2.5m in cap space while making a lateral move.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why on earth are the Leafs adding on top for an even older goalie who is playing no better than Andersen is, and who played terrible last year? Andersen's value is still quite a bit higher than Dubnyk. My guess is Andersen will get moved away from Toronto and be completely fine for another team.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Dubnyk put up an .890 SV% on an above average defensive team in Minnesota last season and has been regressing since 2016-17. Andersen’s regression in comparison started in March 2019.

Hard pass.

Reactions: Name Nameless

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Why on earth are the Leafs adding on top for an even older goalie who is playing no better than Andersen is, and who played terrible last year? Andersen's value is still quite a bit higher than Dubnyk. My guess is Andersen will get moved away from Toronto and be completely fine for another team.
imo it is a mistake for the leafs to head into the playoffs with Andersen. we've tried it 4 times already and have failed each time. keeping him as a backup is a distraction. I would pay a little for an equivalent goalie just for the change.

I think Dubnyk is a good target as SJS is out of it and he is a free agent. I am all for finding a better goalie (Raanta was brought up) if something similar can be worked out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad