TJ Brodie Getting A Little Norris Talk

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, not a ton. Not much really. But he was mentioned in a list of candidates on nhl.com. While I hate the Super 16, I often agree with the article that prefaces it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=757727&navid=nhl:topheads

Myself and a coworker had a talk the other day about Brodie. Man, what a player. He hasn't missed much of a beat without Giordano, and personally, as great as Gio is, I think Brodie is going to win him the Norris one year. Nobody talks about TJ much, it's a shame.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Norris can be a joke sometimes. It has become point-based when it shouldn't be. Otherwise, Weber should have won one by now.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Brodie has been great, but he hasn't been good enough to be seriously considered for the Norris.

It will come down to Weber, Doughty, Subban, Giordano, or Letang. With Gio being injured, he's probably out of consideration.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Brodie has been great, but he hasn't been good enough to be seriously considered for the Norris.

It will come down to Weber, Doughty, Subban, Giordano, or Letang. With Gio being injured, he's probably out of consideration.

My guess is it'll come down to being between Weber and Subban.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Norris can be a joke sometimes. It has become point-based when it shouldn't be. Otherwise, Weber should have won one by now.
I agree to a point. I think offensive production is important, but not as important as defense. So I would be cool with a 30-40 point defenseman getting it, but I don't think a pure defense only guy should get it, nor do I think a pure offense guy should either.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I agree to a point. I think offensive production is important, but not as important as defense. So I would be cool with a 30-40 point defenseman getting it, but I don't think a pure defense only guy should get it, nor do I think a pure offense guy should either.

Right. I still think a defenseman should put up points to get it, but not the defenseman with the most points (e.g. Keith/Weber last year).

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It will be downright criminal if Weber doesn't get his Norris. He should have 1 or 2 already.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
If Gio is not in the mix because of the injury, hopefully Weber gets it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This draft is being waaaaay overhyped. I'm going to avoid the trade forums for a while.

I thought the trade forum was the worst forum out there when I first joined in April of last year (trade deadline was over). So all of the proposals are pretty much draft day/offseason proposals that we have to look at for the next 6 months until the season starts.

During the season it's not as bad, but in the offseason, that is by far the worst forum to look at.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
With Gio being injured, he's probably out of consideration.

Does anyone have the stats with the lowest number of games played for each major trophy?

edit: I quickly looked at Norris winners since 1980-81. Lowest number of games played was Ray Bourque, 72 games in 93-94, then few winners with 76 games played. Obviously I didn't count half-seasons caused by lockouts. So its safe to say that Gio wont win Norris.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
18. So, what did Calgary captain Mark Giordano tell his teammates after he went down for the season?

“He really didn’t say much of anything,†defence partner TJ Brodie said Thursday. That’s kind of surprising, no? “Not really,†Brodie answered. “We know how hard he works. We know how much it meant to him to be in the race. That’s more important than anything he could say.â€

The Flames are 4-1-1 since Giordano went down.
19. Brodie said there were two personal adjustments once Deryk Engelland became his new partner — moving back to the left side and jumping into the play.

The first is obvious, even though it is his strong side, the second a little less so. Brodie explained how he and Giordano both liked to jump into the rush, so they became very good at reading when the other was going to make the charge. Engelland plays more conservatively, making Brodie’s reads different.

20. Other coaches say it’s not a surprise the Flames are not an analytics darling, since they try to hit the long-pass home run more than any other team in the league.

When it works, it’s spectacular, but when it doesn’t, it’s either an icing, or you’re letting the opponent regroup with the puck. Either way, it’s not a formula for outshooting people.

Brodie says a major reason Calgary’s got so many comebacks is because the coaches demand a mentality “where we would play our style no matter what the situation,†and the players bought in. He adds that, despite their youth, they don’t panic.
21. Brodie is quiet, doesn’t like to talk about himself. He laughed when asked if he bought something special for anyone when he signed his contract extension earlier this year. “I guess I’m lucky that no one in my family would expect anything like that. Maybe after the season.â€

30 Thoughts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad