Tips for finding a beer league team?

JoeyB

Mar 8, 2013
Hey all,

Started playing some hockey recently, after not having played since high school rec hockey (I'm almost 30 now), and hoping to find a C/CS/D league team when the league starts up again. Only problem is, I'm the only person I know playing ice hockey, so I don't have an "in."

I figure I'll show up to the public hockeys at the local rink, shoot the puck around a bit and maybe meet someone looking for players, but I'm not really convinced this is going to work.

Does anyone have any tips or resources for finding teams looking for players?

For reference, I'm just outside of Philadelphia, PA, in the suburbs.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I go w/my goalie friend (not my team goalie FWIW) to sticks & pucks a few times per month; I usually get people asking me if I play on a team in efforts to recruit me. It can work that way if people are keeping their eyes peeled for talent (and you've got it).

Beyond that, I found my first beer league team from outdoor inline pickup. I see house team players ending up on other divisional teams often as well; if there's a house team you could join that might be an option too.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I contacted the league manager at my local rink. Should be able to find it on their website. He gathered a list of teams looking for individual players and I got a few emails the next day.

Hockey-community.com is another source, like a facebook of hockey, not sure how popular it will be in your area though.

JoeyB

Mar 8, 2013
It can work that way if people are keeping their eyes peeled for talent (and you've got it).

Eh, I don't really got it :P

Beyond that, I found my first beer league team from outdoor inline pickup. I see house team players ending up on other divisional teams often as well; if there's a house team you could join that might be an option too.

I think there might be a house team at the local rink, only because on the standings list for the league there are teams named after the rink, but I'm really not sure. I've only been back on the ice for a month, I don't know anyone, I feel old and to be frank, a little shy because I don't know wtf I'm doing, so I haven't really gathered the necessary info because I don't know who to ask.

JoeyB

Mar 8, 2013
I contacted the league manager at my local rink. Should be able to find it on their website. He gathered a list of teams looking for individual players and I got a few emails the next day.

Hockey-community.com is another source, like a facebook of hockey, not sure how popular it will be in your area though.

Contacting the league manager is a pretty good idea, thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

PlayBall

Feb 20, 2013
Hey all,

Started playing some hockey recently, after not having played since high school rec hockey (I'm almost 30 now), and hoping to find a C/CS/D league team when the league starts up again. Only problem is, I'm the only person I know playing ice hockey, so I don't have an "in."

I figure I'll show up to the public hockeys at the local rink, shoot the puck around a bit and maybe meet someone looking for players, but I'm not really convinced this is going to work.

"Just Ask" -Nardwuar the Human Serviette

Simple words to live by. No one's gonna laugh at you for asking if they have a team.

When I was 14 and walking out after a public skate I saw adults moaning about a loss and I just asked; do they have a goalie? And by a stroke of luck, they didn't. I got some of the best training of my life playing with those guys, I was playing with adults on a weaker team and faced lots of shots every night.

small edit: While getting placed on a team usually results in a bad season in the standings, chances are you'll land on a team and meet guys in the same spot as you are, and you can pick and choose a core of guys from there to make your own team.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Hey all,

You should find a an advanced hockey clinic. It would be perfect for you because A) you could work yourself back into hockey shape and B) I've done a couple of clinics and both led me to opportunities to join teams.

You won't get invited to join an A league team out of a clinic, but you could certainly get an invite to a C or D level team if you aren't absolutely terrible. The last clinic I did automatically qualified me to join a D team if I wanted through the rink.

JoeyB

Mar 8, 2013
You should find a an advanced hockey clinic. It would be perfect for you because A) you could work yourself back into hockey shape and B) I've done a couple of clinics and both led me to opportunities to join teams.

You won't get invited to join an A league team out of a clinic, but you could certainly get an invite to a C or D level team if you aren't absolutely terrible. The last clinic I did automatically qualified me to join a D team if I wanted through the rink.

Thanks for the advice. I started looking for clinics this morning, but I may have to wait until after summer from the sounds of it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I started looking for clinics this morning, but I may have to wait until after summer from the sounds of it.

That's probably not going to help you. Generally if you're not on a team by the time the Winter season starts (usually September) you're probably not going to get on a team for the next 6 months.

JoeyB

Mar 8, 2013
That's probably not going to help you. Generally if you're not on a team by the time the Winter season starts (usually September) you're probably not going to get on a team for the next 6 months.

Yeah, I know :( But at least I'll be playing. Still, I'm trying to wrangle up something sooner.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Try craigslist ads. You can post one if you don't see any.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to catch on to a league that caters to blind people or small children. Yeah, I suck.:p:

McDugan

Jun 29, 2010
Which direction of suburbs? There are a few rinks in the area that have good options for this, but if you're out the North/Northeast way, Grundy in Bristol has what is IMO the best option. (I wish I could do it myself but I don't have time these days). They do an adult clinic that runs tuesday nights (9:45 - 11:00 or so) and they have a C-2 league where everybody pays the rink and the staff divide the teams fairly. I did the clinic a bit (and was going to join the C-2) a couple years ago, but then an injury followed by a baby on the way made it too hard to fit in. I'm trying to get back to getting some hockey in, but since I live really close to the Flyers Skate Zone in NE Philly, I'm trying out their adult clinic (which starts this Thursday) since it's closer and take place at a more reasonable hour (7:50-8:50pm).

But honestly the people at Grundy were really great when I went there, I highly recommend it. I don't yet have experience with Skate Zone to give an opinion one way or another, but I guess I will after Thursday.

JoeyB

Mar 8, 2013
Which direction of suburbs? There are a few rinks in the area that have good options for this, but if you're out the North/Northeast way, Grundy in Bristol has what is IMO the best option. (I wish I could do it myself but I don't have time these days). They do an adult clinic that runs tuesday nights (9:45 - 11:00 or so) and they have a C-2 league where everybody pays the rink and the staff divide the teams fairly. I did the clinic a bit (and was going to join the C-2) a couple years ago, but then an injury followed by a baby on the way made it too hard to fit in. I'm trying to get back to getting some hockey in, but since I live really close to the Flyers Skate Zone in NE Philly, I'm trying out their adult clinic (which starts this Thursday) since it's closer and take place at a more reasonable hour (7:50-8:50pm).

But honestly the people at Grundy were really great when I went there, I highly recommend it. I don't yet have experience with Skate Zone to give an opinion one way or another, but I guess I will after Thursday.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Abington/willow grove area, so not super far from Bristol. I'll look into that, thanks!

Danglous

Dec 5, 2007
Philly
I played in the C-2 league at Grundy for a season when I was trying to get some friends into hockey. Its a great league for beginners and I remember ALOT of people in the league being random players who were attending the clinics. I know a few people who go to the clinics at Grundy and say nothing but good things.

If youre serious about it, just call Grundy or NE Skatezone and tell them your situation. Im sure they will have no problem helping you find a team. After all, it is your money they are after.

You could also start attending some public hockey and looking for a team there. Every time I play theres someone else asking me if I want to play for their team :P

Also I know Grundy and NE skatezone both have paper flyers hanging on the walls in the lobby with information on camps, clinics, open hockey, leagues, etc.

Halifaxhab*

Stand in the lobby holding sign saying "free player to new team....1st case of beer is free"....you should score a team within an hour

McDugan

Jun 29, 2010
Back to say that I've done the clinic at the NE Skatezone a couple weeks now and I like it.

It's differently run than Grundy and they each have strengths and weaknesses.

Skatezone has lower turnout (10 or so guys vs. 20+ at Grundy), and is less structured (Grundy has more guys coaching at once).

However, the group at Skatezone is a nice bunch, and we are all at roughly the same (fairly low) skill level. Grundy had a real mix of absolute beginners and seasoned players just looking for ice time and practice.

The ice at Skatezone is far better than Grundy, and I find the facilities better overall too - cleaner and much less noise and echo in the rink which is nice (I hate not being able to hear the instructors).

I also found that despite only having a single coach (the rink's hockey director) the instruction at Skatezone has been, at least for me, much more clear. Wayne really is careful to work on fundamentals and drops in instructions that help us understand how to do what he's showing us. I found at Grundy, they'd say, OK we're going to work on crossovers. Do this. And half of us would be confused about which foot we should be leading with, that sort of thing. I've gotten more out of the drills at Skatezone even though they're tending to be simpler.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Go to pickup and dominate

Stand in the lobby holding sign saying "free player to new team....1st case of beer is free"....you should score a team within an hour

Either of these two. Pickup helps because people get to see you play and known your general skill set. I know our team has been hesitant on guys just having a word of mouth.

Go to pickup. Don't be unpleasant and ask around. Don't get discouraged because you have to ask more than a couple people or it takes a bit. Joining some beer league teams is like becoming a member of the family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad