Tips for Defenseman...refinement

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
sc37 said:
Awesome..gotta print this out or something so I don't forget.

Any suggestions on blocking shots then? I've had some decent success by pretending I'm playing soccer, cept it kills my foot when I get popped in certain areas. Had ok results with the stick..and my shaft...did a couple baseball bunts a week ago. But that probably leaves a good chance for a bad deflection. Teammates have told me to try to not leave my feet since it takes you outta the play. I dont want to screen the goalie either. Any good technique? I notice watching the NHL, guys on the PK sorta pull arms and legs in instead of spreading out. I get on one knee at times, but the puck goes five-hole on me.

Do not turn your skate sideways to block it. You will get hurt. I did it as a reaction by accident and I am lucky i never broke my ankle. Take it off the shinpads or front of the skate if you are staying on your feet....well if you go down as well for that part.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
aspin said:
Do not turn your skate sideways to block it. You will get hurt. I did it as a reaction by accident and I am lucky i never broke my ankle. Take it off the shinpads or front of the skate if you are staying on your feet....well if you go down as well for that part.
I noticed one of the NHL games I was watching a couple of days ago, a defenseman put his heels together with his toes farther apart (sort of a reverse snowplow), facing the shooter so that his feet made a V with the wide part towards the shooter.

It seems like that would be a good compromise for a hard shot; you won't take it directly off the side of your foot, but at an angle, so it will deflect more, but you're also closing down more of the area between your feet so he can't slip it between your feet/legs.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
1. Take a swipe at the puck when you're one-on-one without giving up body position. You'd be surprised how often it shocks the forward, and he shouldn't get by if you're skating well.

2. Force a 2-on-1 early. Right about the blue line. It's better to be dealing with an early pass, and then you're not screwing with your goalie. Again, you'd be surprised how many times you get the puck and all of a sudden its 5-on-3 or even 2.

3. In front of the net, when you need a guy to not score, hook your stick in between his legs, get fairly close, then, when the puck comes, fall and knock him down. The fact that you've fallen will make it seem like his fault, and properly executed, I never got a single penalty doing this.

4. Be agressive with your stick at all times and force turnovers. Learn to use both hands alone and to transfer behind the back if you have to.

5. If you're down, you're not out, swing your stick back the other way and get that puck. You've seen it in the NHL hundreds of times, the best do it.

6. When blocking shots, cover your throat.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
this happens in our league all the time...dont go down at the drop of a hat...i cant stand it when a dman constantly lays out to block the pass, any good player will pick up on that move and wait until you go down and just go around you...plus your out of the play as soon as you do that

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Defense is a lot of fun... no position I'd rather play, but alot of what you do depends on what your teammates are doing. A D man's success has alot to do with how much help they get from thier forwards... having said that:

Always make sure you are between the puck carrier and the net. Let your goalie see the shot and DO NOT try to deflect it with your stick unless you are right up against the shooters stick.

Gap control is essential. You need a few feet between you and the rushing opposition in the neutral zone, but you need to gradually close that gap to a stick's length at your blue line. This will allow you to force the issue at the blue. On an even man rush, this is the place to attack to puck carrier... you will most likely cause a turnover, an offside or a dump in. IF the puckhandler button hooks, hopefully your winger will be backchecking to pressure him. To attack, look at his chest in between his shoulderblades, not at his feet or puck, then slow down and seperate him from the puck. If you can get him moving laterally, it's a good opportunity to poke the puck off his stick. If it's an odd man rush, you still need to close the gap, but obviously you won't be aggressive at the blue. Stay in the middle, cheating slightly to the shooter. Your main job is to prevent the pass. if you get below the hash marks, you may want to lay flat on the ice to assure there won't be a deadly cross crease pass. This also applies to a 3 on 2 when you're on the strong side (your d partner isolates 1 leaving you with a 2 on 1)

When your D partner has the puck in your zone, your main job is to be open for a pass or reverse. If your partner comes over to your side of the ice with the puck switch sides on the ice so he can give it to you if he gets pressured. If he has the puck in the corner, stand beside the net on your side. This will allow you to quickly move behins the net to give him an 'out', or get to the front of the net to protect it in case of a turnover. If he's skating up the ice in your zone... be on the other side towards the middle of the ice and slightly behind him to cover up in case of a turnover. If he's backing up with the puck facing the play... be on the other side slightly ahead of him so he can 'switch' the puck to you and you can break out.

There's so much more to tell you, but these are some of the things I expect my partner to do to make the position easier. Having a good partner makes a world of difference. Having the 'out' when your forwards abandon you is big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad