Confirmed with Link: Timothy Liljegren signed to a 2 year extension (AAV of 1.4M)

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
The offseason hasn't even started yet. You have no idea what moves will be made. You think this team is being run back 100% as is and only upgrading with space they have? There will be trades.

Defense is fine, which is why management feels comfortable running it back. It's the bottom 6 forwards who need upgrades, and goaltending. Defense was a team strength last year.

He's a very good dman. You have no clue and this is proof.
Your putting words in my mouth first off and my point isn't that they should run it back with this group , they claim they are running it back with this group but clearly they cannot and I agree the bottom pair D aren't the problem . I disagree the rest of the D is fine and be honest LIlly and Gio are or should be the bottom pair , moving them up isn't based on performance it is based on a lack of performance by the rest of the D , this team needs players that can play all aspects not one dimensional stars . the bottom 6 isn't great by any means but they are all this team can afford until the management group admits they have failed and moves out some real money somehow . Do you see that happening ? I don't , this management preaches accountability while refusing to hold themselves accountable for their glaring failure . They have made the same 1 more year speech every year for the past 3 years and will make it again next year , mark my words they will never admit they were and are wrong in how they built this team .

Reactions: paulhiggins

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Yea so a very good 2nd pair Dman just Ed signed for 1.4M…do you hear yourself?
He’s up and coming and promising. I don’t think he’s very good 2nd pair dman yet. He could get there. He’s got things to work on. I think he can get to that point but not there yet. What’s our back up plan if he doesn’t get there? Justin Holl?

They still have a whole off season but if he takes a step back this season and they were expecting top 4 out of him it could be trouble. I think he starts bottom pair with Gio and hopefully halfway through the year he takes over the top 4 based on play and not becuase the guy ahead of him was struggling.

Reactions: kb

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
basically your saying the only way to value a player is points so we're done here

continue with your Dubas love in but just remember there's only so many years Dubas can fail before he gets kicked to the curb and he's times running

the funny thing about Dubies fan club is they never take a look at what he's actually built but just blindly praise him so i'll go through the roster quickly to enlighten you as to where the roster stands so far this off season

inherited - Mathews/Marner/Nylander/Rielly/Lilly/

Dubie's build

G
Mzarek - injury prone , overpaid and mediocre

D
Gio 39 , should have a least another year in a depth role in him
Muzzin 33 - injury prone and regressing
Brodie 32 - solid D , smart , moves the puck well , positional sound but doesn't bring much offense and is on the soft side
Holl 30 - everybodies favorite whipping boy
Sandin - good edges but slow , willing but gets pushed around easily and weak in his own end

F
Tavares - on the down side and grossly overpaid , basically just a net front presence for the most part
Bunting - one of the few bargain bin signings that panned out , fits well as the 3rd wheel on the top line
Kase - i like him but the concussions are why he signed cheap and he unfortunately suffered another one and was useless in the playoffs , hopefully for his sake he packs it in and has no term long issues
Kampf - came as advertised , solid D , weak O , better suited as a 4th line C/PKer
the rest are replacement level type guys no one would miss

the lineup around the core is aging and has glaring holes in key positions , we're capped out and Dubies been burning through picks so i have to know what the f*** is there to praise with guy ?
what did Lou built?

name all of the players he actually acquired and ask yourself which had a huge impact on the core.

The only i can think of is Andersen.

Dubas has added more to the core than the pervious GM and thats the fact.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Your putting words in my mouth first off and my point isn't that they should run it back with this group , they claim they are running it back with this group but clearly they cannot and I agree the bottom pair D aren't the problem . I disagree the rest of the D is fine and be honest LIlly and Gio are or should be the bottom pair , moving them up isn't based on performance it is based on a lack of performance by the rest of the D , this team needs players that can play all aspects not one dimensional stars . the bottom 6 isn't great by any means but they are all this team can afford until the management group admits they have failed and moves out some real money somehow . Do you see that happening ? I don't , this management preaches accountability while refusing to hold themselves accountable for their glaring failure . They have made the same 1 more year speech every year for the past 3 years and will make it again next year , mark my words they will never admit they were and are wrong in how they built this team .

All I am saying is if you watched the team and think defense is the issue, you are wrong IMO. The past 3 years now the defense has been fine. The issue has been goals scored in game 7's

Shutout vs CBJ
1 goal vs Habs
1 goal vs Bolts

Issue has been depth scoring more than anything else.

Yea so a very good 2nd pair Dman just Ed signed for 1.4M…do you hear yourself?

Yes this is what happens when you don't have arbitration rights and are a RFA. Are you new to the sport? As I said before, watch the games. He was a stud defensively, as the year went on his got better and better offensively. No PP time and yet scored at a 30 point pace. Played top 4 minutes, no sheltering, and his advanced stats are among the best on the team.

But no, he sucks because I said so.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yes this is what happens when you don't have arbitration rights and are a RFA. Are you new to the sport? As I said before, watch the games. He was a stud defensively, as the year went on his got better and better offensively. No PP time and yet scored at a 30 point pace. Played top 4 minutes, no sheltering, and his advanced stats are among the best on the team.

I wonder if he looks at any stats at all, or goez by feelz. Liljegren was really coming on.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He’s up and coming and promising. I don’t think he’s very good 2nd pair dman yet. He could get there. He’s got things to work on. I think he can get to that point but not there yet. What’s our back up plan if he doesn’t get there? Justin Holl?

They still have a whole off season but if he takes a step back this season and they were expecting top 4 out of him it could be trouble. I think he starts bottom pair with Gio and hopefully halfway through the year he takes over the top 4 based on play and not becuase the guy ahead of him was struggling.
Those who think he's a 'very good 2nd pair dman' must have zero faith in the Coach who recently saw him as the 7th/8th dman.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Those who think he's a 'very good 2nd pair dman' must have zero faith in the Coach who recently saw him as the 7th/8th dman.
another one these guys confusing the narrative with facts and reality , for shame good sir for shame !

All I am saying is if you watched the team and think defense is the issue, you are wrong IMO. The past 3 years now the defense has been fine. The issue has been goals scored in game 7's

Shutout vs CBJ
1 goal vs Habs
1 goal vs Bolts

what your saying is ignore the other three loses and how they happened , focus on these two goals instead , maybe if our top D pair was better than the opponents 3rd pairing we wouldn't have been in that position hmmmm ?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
another one these guys confusing the narrative with facts and reality , for shame good sir for shame !

what your saying is ignore the other three loses and how they happened , focus on these two goals instead , maybe if our top D pair was better than the opponents 3rd pairing we wouldn't have been in that position hmmmm ?

Did this man just say the Leafs top pair is worse than other teams 3rd pairs?

And this the reminder I needed to take a summer break from HF. Thanks!

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Did this man just say the Leafs top pair is worse than other teams 3rd pairs?

And this the reminder I needed to take a summer break from HF. Thanks!
Yes , yes I did and given the nonsense you've been spewing I would say Yes , Yes you do , see you in the fall , the later the better , cheers eh !

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I have faith in Keefe, but one of his and the organizations main flaws over the past 3 seasons is their lack of playing time and trust given to young players.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Why and what do you think the coach was doing, by rotating 3 of them up and down and even out of the lineup. He was looking for readiness attitude and desire.

Theres a reason Tim was just handed 2.8m and it's because they know he can handle regular NHL minutes and is ready to do so they just aren't sure atm if he'll be at 11 mins or 19 mins. My feeling is that by mid-season he'll be getting a steady diet of 19 minute games and looking like he belongs at that level.

He has less than 100 NHL games(?) to his credit and there are a couple of things that need to disappear from his game in order for him to take the so called next step. If he can raise the temperature of his game and up his intensity in puck battles he's going to be a formidable defender.

He's gotten bigger and stronger every year he's been here and if he makes more progress this summer then I think the Leafs will finally have what they were hoping to get when they drafted him. But, he still needs that intensity to go along with the muscle, and that will be the determining factor for him in earning a 2nd pair job, because he has the talent and skill level required.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
what did Lou built?

name all of the players he actually acquired and ask yourself which had a huge impact on the core.

The only i can think of is Andersen.

Dubas has added more to the core than the pervious GM and thats the fact.
that's a fact Jack . lol

yup Lou did nothing , it's all Dubas , lol

and i love how he put us in a horror show cap wise with all his overpayments/cap anchors , Tavares/Muzzin/Mzarek - 20m in overpaid players or cap anchors

I like LIlly and believe he has upside but he's 23 and has played less than 80 games so it's funny how some are praising Dubie for what should been an easy and straight forward negotiation , i'm guessing Dubies supporters were expecting him to get bent again . lol

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Players salaries are usually based off production. If players got paid based on work ethic, heart and intangibles, then grinders would get paid more. You brought up the comparison so I was curious and compared their production. Hyman was fed top line minutes with Matthews and Nylander from day 1 and Kap and AJ both out produced him on the 3rd line for example.

If Dubas got fired today, I could care less. I know you have posted that you think myself and others "love Dubas more than the team". Ive told ya before that when I usually post in these threads it's because something has been posted that I disagree with. If it's something I agree with, I will drop a like or just keep on scrolling. Right now Dubas is the GM, so he is always in the discussion. If Lou was still GM for example, I would defend him if I see a post I disagree with.

There have been a bunch of moves Dubas has made that I disagreed with in his tenure. I've also had some skepticism the past couple offseasons based on where we lie with the cap and how we were going to improve but then we still manage to put together a good roster. For example we lost our entire 3rd line of Kadri, Kap and AJ due to the cap and yet we still put together one of the best 3rd lines in the league by scraping the bottom of the barrel. We have also managed to put together a stronger D core the last few years. Our goaltending was a big question mark last year and Campbell had an all star season. Mrazek was junk though as well as not being healthy all year. Our goaltending remains an even bigger question mark this year, which has me very skeptical, but like I said we've been surprised before.

All these challenges and we've still had a franchise record setting season this year. We also looked like a different team in these playoffs and took the back to back Champs to the brink. In the end it was another 1st round exit. Dubas' tenure has been a mixed bag and if he gets fired after this season if we go out in the 1st round, I'm on board with cleaning house. Most of our playoff failures I do lay most of the blame on the players as they just didn't show up and ultimately it's on them to get the job done.
Players get paid on a number of things including points but i guess since your a loyal Dubas supporter you don't also
value hard work/heart and intangibles among other attributes , i guess that's why you and the Dube believe getting knocked out early again is a success.

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Yup. Keefe is an idiot. This is the same coach who tried to shoehorn Jumbo Joe on the top line for like 60 games. His misuse of Lyubushkin and Holl over Lilly is further proof he's a terrible tactician.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Lilly and Gio as our third pairing would be great, just not sure who the other top 4 are. I think we need a RD who pairs will with Reilly. I don't see where Sandin fits into this lineup, unless he's the 7th defenseman.

Moving Muzzin would be an option, but what are we replacing him with? Our defense is already among the softest in the league. By moving Muzzin, we're even softer.

I see it like this:

Reilly ???
Muzzin Brodie
Gio Liljegren
Sandin

Reactions: LeafEgo

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

Shutout vs CBJ
1 goal vs Habs
1 goal vs Bolts

No no. Not every RFA with no rights gets 1.4M…anyways, I actually hope he’s your top 4. You’re kidding yourself if you say he’s top 4

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
He was top 4 this season and the fact you are so uninformed on the player is actually pretty funny

He wasn't really a top 4 though. He played on pairings 1, 2, and 3 at different times throughout the season. He was also a healthy scratch for a lot of games.

I think he has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman, and he's shown wonderful potential, but his game isn't there just yet. Hopefully he'll become a bonafide top 4 defenseman by the end of this upcoming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad