Proposal: Time To Trade David Krejci

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
I love him...he is my favorite player, but... I think it is time to move David Krejci.

This solves all our cap woes and some other problems.

1) Spooner becomes one of our top 3 centres. Let the Spooner era begin.

2) This move along with somehow clearing Kelly's contract, gives the Bs $6M to use at the trading deadline for any needs (in case Spooner doesn't work out, or to get a winger, etc...).

3) It allows us to keep our D together. We won't have to move anyone here.

4) It will likely get back a great pick or prospects or a great cheap young winger.

5) It frees up cap space next year.

6) It allows Krug and Smith to get paid.

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Lucic - Soderberg - Eriksson
X - Spooner - X
Paille - Campbell - X

Defence is status quo as is goaltending.

Xs could be filled in by guys like Fraser, Florek, Ferlin, Khoko, Lindblad, and maybe Caron.

Thoughts?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Would much rather lose smith than krecji. The cap should go up a fair amount next year and without a bonus deal hampering them like this year should have no issue re-signing krecji

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Not sure how it makes us worse?

All we are doing is moving Krejci to fix our NOW problem and it gives us $6M to trade for someone equal or better than Krejci on wing at the deadline.

We could always resign Krejci at this time next year.

Ummmm no, we don't need to free up cap space and become worse at the same time

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
He drives me insane with his disappearing act at times, but I would not move DK.

I'd flip Spooner.

They're already weaker at the wing.
I don't feel that they can afford to get weaker at center.

The window to win is still now and Krejci is a huge part of that.

Having said that, well though out post. It makes sense from a logic standpoint.

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
Not sure how it makes us worse?

All we are doing is moving Krejci to fix our NOW problem and it gives us $6M to trade for someone equal or better than Krejci on wing at the deadline.

You're essentially saying replacing krejci with spooner. Spooner isn't proven and no where near krejci's caliber yet.

David Krejci*

Neither Spooner or Soderberg are anywhere near good enough or have proven anything enough to even think about replacing Krejci. Also you won't need 6 million dollars in cap space at the deadline to trade for a wing. Bobby Ryan will be the best wing available at the deadline, and salaries are pro rated, plus you can get Ottawa to retain salary because it's only for the rest of the year anyway.

Would trading Krejci give us cap flexibility? Yes. It would also eliminate any chance we had at a Stanley Cup this year, next year, and until we find a new #1 center, which don't exactly grow on trees. Just ask Toronto.

Priority #1 is to sign David Krejci before he hits Free Agency. He'd get 8 million on the open market, and he'd be worth itwith the cap going up in the coming few years. Try to sign him long term for 6.5-7m before it comes to that.

Also, if Spooner wants to play here, he has to learn how to play wing. Look at the teams who have won the Stanley Cup in recent history. None of them have centers who are small, soft, and shy away from physicality. Krejci isn't the biggest guy, but he's a very physical player and tough and not afraid to engage. You can get away with playing a soft game at wing, but not at center, and especially not as a 3rd line center. Not if you want to win a Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I love him...he is my favorite player, but... I think it is time to move David Krejci.

This solves all our cap woes and some other problems.

1) Spooner becomes one of our top 3 centres. Let the Spooner era begin.

2) This move along with somehow clearing Kelly's contract, gives the Bs $6M to use at the trading deadline for any needs (in case Spooner doesn't work out, or to get a winger, etc...).

3) It allows us to keep our D together. We won't have to move anyone here.

4) It will likely get back a great pick or prospects or a great cheap young winger.

5) It frees up cap space next year.

6) It allows Krug and Smith to get paid.

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Lucic - Soderberg - Eriksson
X - Spooner - X
Paille - Campbell - X

Defence is status quo as is goaltending.

Xs could be filled in by guys like Fraser, Florek, Ferlin, Khoko, Lindblad, and maybe Caron.

Thoughts?

1. Spooner hasn't really indicated he's top 3 ready. He's shown glimpses, but not enough to trade our #1 center.

2. Free up enough money to say get a top centre at the deadline? Like the one just traded away?

3. We have excess defensemen. One or two need to be traded anyways because they can't all play and it doesn't make sense to have NHLers sitting in the pressbox.

4. Who cares. we are trying to win the cup not stockpile prospects.

5. Krejci is a UFA next year anyway.

6. They are coming off rookie seasons, they shouldn't get "paid".

Thoughts: That isn't a cup contending team. That is a playoff first round and done team.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He drives me insane with his disappearing act at times, but I would not move DK.

I'd flip Spooner.

They're already weaker at the wing.
I don't feel that they can afford to get weaker at center.

The window to win is still now and Krejci is a huge part of that.

Having said that, well though out post. It makes sense from a logic standpoint.

For what? Spooner likely has little value (in terms of bringing back a player of value), unless you package him.

I don't think DK is going to be worth whatever his next contract is. That said, Krejci is part of the win now. But if Krejci has another disappearing act next post-season, do we let him walk for nothing?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Neither Spooner or Soderberg are anywhere near good enough or have proven anything enough to even think about replacing Krejci. Also you won't need 6 million dollars in cap space at the deadline to trade for a wing. Bobby Ryan will be the best wing available at the deadline, and salaries are pro rated, plus you can get Ottawa to retain salary because it's only for the rest of the year anyway.

Would trading Krejci give us cap flexibility? Yes. It would also eliminate any chance we had at a Stanley Cup this year, next year, and until we find a new #1 center, which don't exactly grow on trees. Just ask Toronto.

Priority #1 is to sign David Krejci before he hits Free Agency. He'd get 8 million on the open market, and he'd be worth itwith the cap going up in the coming few years. Try to sign him long term for 6.5-7m before it comes to that.

Do we sign him to a big contract if he has another disappearing act next post-season?

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
No. And that's coming from someone who isn't the biggest Krejci fan out there, but I understand his value.

At some point they may have to decide between he and Soda. But that time isn't now.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
For what? Spooner likely has little value (in terms of bringing back a player of value), unless you package him.

I don't think DK is going to be worth whatever his next contract is. That said, Krejci is part of the win now. But if Krejci has another disappearing act next post-season, do we let him walk for nothing?

I backpeddled on that lol.

Soderberg is up after this season, so I'd keep Spoons in the fold.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Soderberg is a stud and he can replace Krejci and with Spooner and Koko in the mix, I wouldn't be totally against it depending on the return of course.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
No. And that's coming from someone who isn't the biggest Krejci fan out there, but I understand his value.

At some point they may have to decide between he and Soda. But that time isn't now.

Is it mid-season? Next season? After next season, both are UFA's (unless extended now), so either one could walk.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
So what is the solution? We are about $7M short of fielding an opening day roster.

Ok, I agree, we can move 1 d-man - but ideally it is McQuaid or Bartkowski. This only frees up $1.6M.

I think moving Boychuk or Seidenberg would be a huge mistake.

We could resign Krejci if we wanted to next year.

Problem is we need to free up money NOW - or the Bruins aren't allowed to play hockey this season.

Also - what do we do with Spooner? Another year in the AHL? Trade him for something we can't afford? Trade him for a pick?

Bottom line is we own Krug and Smith and they are good players. They ARE gonna get paid...a min of $2.5M each.

1. Spooner hasn't really indicated he's top 3 ready. He's shown glimpses, but not enough to trade our #1 center.

2. Free up enough money to say get a top centre at the deadline? Like the one just traded away?

3. We have excess defensemen. One or two need to be traded anyways because they can't all play and it doesn't make sense to have NHLers sitting in the pressbox.

4. Who cares. we are trying to win the cup not stockpile prospects.

5. Krejci is a UFA next year anyway.

6. They are coming off rookie seasons, they shouldn't get "paid".

Thoughts: That isn't a cup contending team. That is a playoff first round and done team.

acr*

Soderberg is a stud and he can replace Krejci and with Spooner and Koko in the mix, I wouldn't be totally against it depending on the return of course.

Soderberg got bottom 6 matchups all of last year and hasn't shown that he can play a two way game in the NHL. Moving Soderberg with the expectation that he can fill Krejci's shoes is dead wrong. They aren't the same player now and probably not next year.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
You're essentially saying replacing krejci with spooner. Spooner isn't proven and no where near krejci's caliber yet.

Not exactly. We are replacing Krejci-Bergeron-Soderberg with Bergeron-Soderberg-Spooner. Assuming Krejci is traded for a 1st line winger... it may make our top 9 stronger.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Soderberg got bottom 6 matchups all of last year and hasn't shown that he can play a two way game in the NHL. Moving Soderberg with the expectation that he can fill Krejci's shoes is dead wrong. They aren't the same player now and probably not next year.

Soderberg slots into the #2 spot. Bergeron becomes the defacto #1 center.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Nah, I keep Krejci over Marchand, Boychuk, Eriksson, Smith, practically everybody besides Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, and Rask.

Have a feeling Smith will be offer sheeted by somebody. Who knows, if it meant for us to bring in a name like Bobby Ryan, I'm all for it.

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
The bruins have just over 5 mill to sign 3-4 first team players for this coming season. Kelly, Mcquaid and possibly boychuk should be moved. As for next season we shouldn't have a cap issue so re signing krejci, soderberg and hamilton will be top priority. No way we trade krejci.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Would much rather lose smith than krecji. The cap should go up a fair amount next year and without a bonus deal hampering them like this year should have no issue re-signing krecji

I would not trade David. Yet. Perhaps later in the season, before he becomes UFA, and is therefore playing for the big bucks. Beyond that, not interested in trading someone who is near core player for the B's.

Keep that center position solid. Deal others if need be.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I would not trade David. Yet. Perhaps later in the season, before he becomes UFA, and is therefore playing for the big bucks. Beyond that, not interested in trading someone who is near core player for the B's.

Keep that center position solid. Deal others if need be.

This.

You can always make a deal at the dealine to bring in a scoring winger on an expiring contract at the deadline.

Just because the wings look a little thin on paper, doesn't mean all is lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad