Pre-Game Talk: Time to talk Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This year is a gift. Just winning a round doesn’t cut it. Failure means something is severely wrong with this squad.

short season, everyone is fresh.
All Canadian division, our toughest rivals are elsewhere.
Guaranteed 1 Canadian team final 4.

we should be that 1 team final 4 or fail.

Hear, hear!” It is an abbreviation for “hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!” :)

I agree 100%, my sentiments exactly. Final 4 or bust based on precisely those factors.

The fact that the NHL is abandoning this CDN Div, making this is a once in a lifetime gift opportunity for any Canadian team to be guaranteed a final 4 spot based on these new pandemic rules.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Outliers are what validate statistics and what makes Vegas scary is they aren't a team of a few stars surrounded by others they are a very solid , hard working playoff style team . Maybe watch a few games before judging eh .

I don't have to watch them to know that they aren't a huge threat to the Leafs. Sorry man, one look at their roster from top to bottom and I am not worried about them. Plus, Colorado will definitely crush them if Grubauer is in net and just plays average. That's the team you should be worried about.

I am just praying Carolina or Florida comes out of their division, Vegas or Minnesota out of theirs, don't care about the Metro, and us out of ours.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Joe Thornton has been playing his best hockey of the season these past 4 games. He's been effective on the forecheck, angry and producing. If this is the Thornton we get for the playoffs than he gets my vote to stay in the lineup.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Maybe it's me but the last player I want to play in a series is McDavid lol.

The Chicago Blackhawks beat them. I am not worried, I watched their game last night and yeah the Flames were desperate but so were the Canucks.

They gave that slow ass Flames team FIVE odd man rushes. We'll crush them. They have no way to outscore us unless McDavid is putting up 3 PPG in the playoffs.

Reactions: X66

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I think the leadership core we have established will keep the young guns loose and accountable. Simmonds and Foligno will really shine in their new roles on this team. They don't strike me as guys who cave to the media pressure.

Can we take a moment to just appreciate Matthews and the defensive turn around?

Keefe has done very well this season.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Hear, hear!” It is an abbreviation for “hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!” :)

I agree 100%, my sentiments exactly. Final 4 or bust based on precisely those factors.

The fact that the NHL is abandoning this CDN Div, making this is a once in a lifetime gift opportunity for any Canadian team to be guaranteed a final 4 spot based on these new pandemic rules.

Not this garbage again...

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
That’s how it’s been for us in the Atlantic. So no sympathies. Other teams in the regular division get an easy ride whereas we had to face two top five teams to get to the ECF.

Atlantic next year is also going to be a bloodbath again.
Always is despite being told time and again how weak it is. It's no surprise that Tampa, Florida, Boston and Toronto are again among the best teams in the NHL.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Galchenyuk had a good game last night.

If he can play to his potential, it's going to be a very tough call to pull him from the lineup in the playoffs, but what's the alternative if everyone is healthy?

Reactions: WilyStyless03SHYla

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
While the Leafs are 28th in the NHL in hits per 60 minutes, we know they have improved physically and defensively, and became a heavier team. Colorado is last in the league in hits. That team is similar to how we were in years prior, a mostly one dimensional offence only team. We'd match up better against the AVS then we would VGK.

We are also 1st in the league in giveaways. Colorado and Vegas are 29th and 30th respectively.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A conference final appearance should be the bare minimum expectation with this group .. not only is the talent and depth there, but also they've shown they can beat all their prospective opponents and they should be able to.

I'll be more pissed if they lose out in the first round, but I'll be really disappointed if they lose out in round two as well.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Of course you hope it's TB and COL eliminated - because you know that Vegas and Carolina aren't all that scary, despite their nice records this year.

On the flip side, if they eliminate Colorado and TB, don’t they become scary themselves? Either way, Leafs would have to beat a great team in the 3rd round.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Outliers are what validate statistics and what makes Vegas scary is they aren't a team of a few stars surrounded by others they are a very solid , hard working playoff style team . Maybe watch a few games before judging eh .

I was literally responding to a post about their 1st place record.

And if you've watched more of their games than I have then tell me - who was their 3rd line center to start the year and who is there now?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Has to be the easiest route to the final four on paper in Leafs history. Probably will never get an opportunity like this again, don't blow it.

Plenty of teams get this caliber of opposition for a couple rounds every year, actually.

Last year all Vegas had to do was beat CHICAGO and VANCOUVER to get to the final four, lmao.

This year finally the leafs aren't stuck in a division where they have to face elite teams every round.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A conference final appearance should be the bare minimum expectation with this group .. not only is the talent and depth there, but also they've shown they can beat all their prospective opponents and they should be able to.

I'll be more pissed if they lose out in the first round, but I'll be really disappointed if they lose out in round two as well.

Tbh a conference finals has been a bare minimum expectation for a couple years now, for me at least.

Reactions: bax

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Has to be the easiest route to the final four on paper in Leafs history. Probably will never get an opportunity like this again, don't blow it.

Nah, the Norris division was brutal for several years. The Leafs once made the playoffs with 52 points.

This is the easiest bracket in a while though. Typically we're playing what either is or effectively is the 4/5 matchup.

Reactions: lottster14

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We've basically got the first 2 round caliber opponents that Vegas has enjoyed facing for years now. Harder, actually given that this is probably the best Oilers team in a few years and the Jets are better than the other Pacific teams.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs should make it to the top four and be the favorites to win that third series IMO unless we play Colorado who I think is playing better than us. Anything else is a let down. I've got sky high expectations this year and I am ready to be letdown because I think this year is Cup or bust.

This year just feels like our year. I don't know why I feel so optimistic but I just do. I think they're winning it all.

I am not overly worried about Colorado or Vegas if we get strong goaltending. I think they are the same as going up against Boston our last two times: Strong top line which can really torch us, maybe a couple of solid forwards after that, strong defense who can move the puck and defend well, high caliber goaltending, and Vegas can play a physical game (Colorado is not really all that physical).

We were almost able to beat the Bruins both times and we are a much better team (especially defensively) than we were back then. Not sure Vegas and Colorado are any better than Boston was those two years, especially when they need to play tougher competition than they have been this year.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
On the flip side, if they eliminate Colorado and TB, don’t they become scary themselves? Either way, Leafs would have to beat a great team in the 3rd round.
That colorado avalance series against us is going to be war like non else, after our sundin tucker belfour drunk thomas domi corson roberts neauwendyk vs philly and carolina etc. We was the dirt back then. The best like khaled knew. This colorado series vs us is going to be full out war. Tough gezames, kadri, all the talent from us and them. Great ice hockey at its best. Alarmingly good. Tiring too, for the playaz and playettez. But don't be alarmed, we might win the cup this year.

We full of thugs and vets now. With our current young blood.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Guess Leafs opponent to win a cup.

"For the 2020-21 season, the NHL was realigned into four divisions: MassMutual East, Discover Central, Honda West and Scotia North, with a 56-game regular season featuring only intradivisional play. The top four teams in each division will qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, which will follow the traditional best-of-seven, four-round format. The first two rounds will feature intradivisional play (#1 vs. #4; #2 vs. #3). The four teams that advance to the Semifinal Round would be seeded by their regular season points total, with the No. 1 seed playing the No. 4 seed in one series and the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds meeting in the other."

Montreal
Edmonton
Golden Nights
Tampa Bay

Probably the toughest road, but the most satisfying. Though I dont ever count out seeing freakin Boston in the post season.

Reactions: WilyStyless03SHYla

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tampa's Cup Run Last Year

BOS: 1st place (& 10th place this year)
DAL: 10th place (& 17th place this year)
NYI: 11th place (& 11th place this year)
CBJ: 14th place (& 28th place this year)

Don't let anyone pretend that the Leafs are going to have some unusually easy playoffs run this year. It's absolute horsepoop.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If we compare the Leaf's playoffs to ancient armies, they've been running around flailing with swords.

One commander, Mike Babcock tried to force them to change tactics. The next one, Sheldon Keefe tried to make them realize they needed to change tactics.
But I think the real motivation is they ran into the Columbus Blue Jackets who practically deployed almost nothing but a shield wall and spears and won. A lot of fans have hated the 'safe players' who don't play with a lot of flash, but it's there something to be said when you're seeing them with equal or better plus/minus figures than the elite stars?

I'm truly optimistic that the Leafs battle strategy is ready. Currently 8th in Goals-Against with some inconsistent goaltending issues. Feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad