Line Combos: Time to stack up our lines

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
This may bite us in the ass come playoff time. Maybe the season is on the line and you need a big third period so you load up two lines. But wait, these players haven't had many shifts together during the season so who knows how they'll perform. The chemistry isn't guaranteed

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The usual suspects all wanted a stacked PP, Babcock stacked the PP and now it is struggling, it's not as simple as "just stack the lines and all will be good" and coaching is that simple

Reactions: Leafling

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
It's just bizarre how bloody stubborn Babcock is. I get spreading the talent, but when players like Brown, Hyman, Marleau literally kill offence, it's hasthe opposite to the desired effect. And when you have enough elite talent to have two best-in-the-league first lines, it's just not necessary.
this!

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
The super stack:

Matthews - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Ennis - Goat - Moore/Hyman

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Oz
those lines makes too much sense, stubborn Babcock would never do that, he got to have a plug on each line to screw them up.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
you would think the coach would at least try it when were down in the last 10 minutes of the third. But no, isntead he takes away Johnny and Willy and gives Matthews Marleau to work with... :huh:
NYLANDDR on the 4th line til he plays like he belongs on a good team

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Lindholm-GOAT-Moore

Rielly-Gardiner
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Ozzy/Holl

when Hyman is back drop Brown to 4th line RW and plug Hyman on 3rd line RW.

Reactions: PuckMagi

standers

Dec 1, 2015
If we're stacking lines,
What about this...

Nylander Matthews Kadri
Tavares Marner Moore/Ennis
Hyman Marleau Brown
Johnsson Lindholm/GOAT kapanen

Stacked first line with Kadri on wing
Tavares and Marner never pass to whoever the 3rd person on their line is anyway, and have shown they are super effective with just the tow of them as a tandem.
Proper 3rd line shutdown.
And the 4th line is deadly.

1st line 17 min
2nd line 17 min
3rd line 13 min
4th line 13 min

Run them that many minutes each at even strength. The shooters will get their extra PP time on the PP.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
These should be the pairings no matter what:

______ Matthews Nylander
______ Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri ______
Moore Gauthier Brown
Lindholm

Never change those staples above. Hyman should be on line 1 or 2. Kapanen should be on line 1 or 3. Johnsson could be on any line. Start developing chemistry. We need to start preparing for the playoffs.
Gauthier is much better than lindholm in my opinion.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The super stack:

Matthews - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Ennis - Goat - Moore/Hyman

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Oz
That sounds like a delicious burger.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I will get shot maybe, but I want to see if we can re-create chemistry from the past and merge the chemistry we have developed this season.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Lindholm-Goat-Brown

We know that Matthews can play with both Hyman and Nylander. They have in the past and effectively.

We know that Kadri and Marleau strived on a line with Marner last season.

We know that Tavares has played really well in the past with players less skilled then both Kapanen and Johnsson. Johnsson has some imagination as Marner does with his playmaking abilities. Kapanen provides speed and skill.

The 4th line is what it is. Goat has been playing well, Lindholm has done what has been asked of him. And Brown is what he is. High motor.

I just feel that we need to spread the skill and players that drive lines. Will be better long term and going into the playoffs. None of those lines need to be sheltered as the Bozak-JVR line had to be in playoffs. This is where we would have an advantage or last seasons lineup.

I would also change up the PP. Loading up the first unit isn't working anymore.

PP1 - Matthews, Tavares, Johnsson, Nylander, Reilly
PP2 - Kadri, Marleau, Marner, Kapanen, Gardiner

Kapanen needs to be on the PP. Ridiculous that he is not.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
when im healthy, im rolling my lines like this,

johnsson - matthews - nylander
kapanen - tavares - marner
hyman - kadri - brown
ennis - marleau - moore

kapanen could be a 30-40 goal scorer and tavares a 40-50 one in the nhl, i give marner, who might be best passer in the nhl 2 goal scorers instead of one any day

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews-Marner . I have no clue why Babcock refuses to look at Marner, Matthews. Marner's work ethic can keep Matthews engaged at all times. When Willy checks out mentally so does Matthews and vice versa. Its on both of them but Matthews and Nylander have the same weakness, compete level at times. Clearly Nylander has a bigger issue. Babcock has no reason to not look at this pairing(aside from them flourishing so much they demand big money which could break up other parts of the team). I understand in the pas, it was more about having your 2 studs run separate lines. They have too much depth to not look at this.

Tavares-Nylander. Tavares consistency, previous captaincy possibly can positively challenge Nylander, stay on him and maybe help get him to work harder more often. I think with Tavares being 5 years older than Nylander might make it easier for Nylander to take leadership from him as compared to the younger Matthews.

One of my mixes Id try is this:

Moore-Matthews-Marner
Kapanen-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kadri-Johnsson
Lindholm-Goat-Brown

*Possibly switch Hyman and Moore. Hyman and Matthews have good chemistry for a worker/skill duo.
*Marleau will never be benched but at this point is a 4th liner.

Last edited:

standers

Dec 1, 2015
Kapanen Matthews Johnnson
Marner Tavares Brown
Marleau Kadri Nylander
Hymen GOAT/Lindholm Enis

Thought about what others have said, and have settled on this.... what does everyone think?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Matthews-Nylander
Marchment-Kadri-Kapanen
Marleau-Brooks-Bracco

-This lineup looks so much better without the offensive black holes in Brown, Hyman (half of goals are EN), Gauthier, Lindholm. Gauthier has actually looked the most dangerous lol

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Brown is playing like he has a brown substance in his pants. Dont want him on the first line. He doesnt look like an NHL calibre player but If Babcock thinks it will get his confidence back then so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad