Time Magazine’s Best Games of 2022

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Stray is a cool concept, but the lack of platforming is very noticeable. Of the games I've played on this list, I'd put it behind God of War: Ragnarok, Horizon: Forbidden West, and Shredder's Revenge. I've played a bit of Elden Ring at a friends, and I get why it is beloved by those who like FromSoft (and is a serious GOTY candidate), but I can tell it is not for me (I refuse to buy it until I either put a serious dent into Sekiro or Bloodborne which I have).

Shredder's Revenge is awesome. I think Streets of Rage 4 is better, but both are great pick up and play games which don't require a serious time commitment.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pretty predictably lame list, from my perspective, but it is what it is. Shredder's Revenge and The Quarry have pretty shallow appeal (even though I love the spritework of SR), and Stray is cute and conceptually nice but lacking, in my opinion. Elden Ring being as low as it is seems off, considering the games listed ahead of it, and I'm skeptical of God of War Ragnarok because I recently played a chunk of the 2018 God of War and thought it was thoroughly unimpressive (don't know how much better or worse this one's supposed to be).

That said, I think it's been a pretty nice year for videogames, personally. Usually I might be really impressed by one or two things at best, but Elden Ring, Tunic, and Sifu all strike me as legitimately great games, Tactics Ogre Reborn is a standout labor-of-love remaster that dramatically improves and fixes all the issues of a pioneering classic that was already way ahead of its time, and even with something typically dismissible like pure Mobile Games, I was very impressed by how well something like Poinpy is designed, too. Plus there's interesting stuff that I haven't looked at yet like Citizen Sleeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'd never even heard of The Quarry, it looks...okay.

I think Rollerdrome deserves to make these lists.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, it seems like a ranking of narratives more so than gameplay. The author spends more time describing and praising their stories, characters and emotional arcs than what makes them fun to play.

• Love
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Regarding Stray, can anyone who's had experience with it chime in? My roommate played the game when it came out and it looked interesting, but I was never impressed enough to purchase it, nor did it come off to me as a game that would fit in the "GOTY" category.

Completely, different game, but I played about 10 hours of Elden Ring. Really wasn't for me but I understand why people enjoy it and why it's in this conversation. Stray not as much.

Regarding the list as a whole, I'm fine with most of it otherwise. There have been some years where I've looked at the games and thought "really, that's GOTY consideration?"

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I actually don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with liking a game primarily for its story rather than its gameplay. My issue with the majority of "movie games" is that I find their narratives/emotional arcs really mediocre and overrated as well (not much better than the storytelling of an average Marvel movie, if even that).

There really isn't any more meat to The Last of Us than there is to Logan, for example, and if Logan is one of the best movies of the year, the medium's in trouble, IMO.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Regarding Stray, can anyone who's had experience with it chime in? My roommate played the game when it came out and it looked interesting, but I was never impressed enough to purchase it, nor did it come off to me as a game that would fit in the "GOTY" category.
I played it and finished it. It was OK, but didn't strike me as a "GotY" contender. It's more of a "cute game" than a "great game," IMO.

We have a thread about it here if you want to read more: Stray - New game on PS4/PS5 + Steam.

Reactions: Dogewow and Jovavic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Completely, different game, but I played about 10 hours of Elden Ring. Really wasn't for me but I understand why people enjoy it and why it's in this conversation. Stray not as much.

Regarding the list as a whole, I'm fine with most of it otherwise. There have been some years where I've looked at the games and thought "really, that's GOTY consideration?"
It's a cool story and has some good environmental puzzles. But, since all the jumping/platforming is automated by just pressing X it's not really challenging. Cool concept that could be built upon, but I found the lack of platforming a bit disappointing.

But, GOTY awards at events like the Game Awards typically follow a formula, and one is to include an indie darling from a smaller studio, another is to get at least one Switch game in there. This year it's Stray (for Indy darling) and Xenoblade Chronicles (Switch Exclusive). Realistically, no one but GoW: Ragnarok or Elden Ring is winning any GOTY awards this year.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a cool story and has some good environmental puzzles. But, since all the jumping/platforming is automated by just pressing X it's not really challenging. Cool concept that could be built upon, but I found the lack of platforming a bit disappointing.

But, GOTY awards at events like the Game Awards typically follow a formula, and one is to include an indie darling from a smaller studio, another is to get at least one Switch game in there. This year it's Stray (for Indy darling) and Xenoblade Chronicles (Switch Exclusive). Realistically, no one but GoW: Ragnarok or Elden Ring is winning any GOTY awards this year.
I just wish Tunic or Sifu were the indie darling this year instead of Stray. They're both significantly better games, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad