Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matthews as the player still comsiderably ahead

Contracts included its closer

Expecting Matthews to be around 55 goals and 105 pts

Stutzle similar year to this season.

Contracts included would take Stutzle though Matthews is still on 11.634M for this year

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Matthews as the player still comsiderably ahead

Contracts included its closer

Expecting Matthews to be around 55 goals and 105 pts

Stutzle similar year to this season.

Contracts included would take Stutzle though Matthews is still on 11.634M for this year
Why would you expect Stutzle to stagnate? He's 21 years old...

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Matthews is slightly better offensively.

A very inconsistent player though who can't be relied on defensively and will fluctuate between 45-55 goals and struggle to break 100 points. Stutzle may not be the same level of goal scorer but he's a better all around player.

Taking contracts into account, it makes picking Stutzle an easy decision.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Stutzle very easily. Even ignoring contracts, I'm not sure if Matthews is better than Stutzle
I'm genuinely curious what you think Stutzle has accomplished that you can't even say with certainty that a guy who won back to back rockets and a Hart trophy is obviously the better player. That's before even getting into the huge gap between them defensively

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Which player would you take, contracts included?

Stutzle: 78 GP 39 G 51 A 90 points, 8 years x 8.350 million beyond this year

Matthews: 74 GP 40 G 45 A 85 points, 4 years x 13.25 million beyond this year.
I’ll take the better player. When you have to add ‘contracts included’, the square peg you’re trying to shove into a round hole, is still a square peg.

Unlike smaller and less desirable teams/ cities (like Edmonton), the leafs get to offset his cap hit by having depth players actually wanting to play in their city and taking discounts and ‘prove it’ contracts to do that and fill out depth positions. For this reason, the leafs have been able to put up 110+ point seasons without having to play their stars for 28 minutes a night and full 2 minute powerplays because behind them, their depth is trash.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Matthews is better but the term, age and respective cap hits tilts this towards Stutzle. All of Stutzle's prime plus 5 million dollars in cap space is spicy.
Sure this sounds good but the 5 million extra was spent on Tarasenko who is at best maybe an average top 6 RW right now?

Take the better scorer and overall player in AM but he is a Leaf so many will take the non Leaf.

Better poll would be Stutzle versus Mack or someone like that.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why would you expect Stutzle to stagnate? He's 21 years old...
Most players don't continously see improvement.

Matthews peaked at 120 pace but really is a 100ish pt player

Stutzle mignt peak at 100+ but he isnt going to be a perennial 100 pt player.

Norris coming back will also take offensive minutes and touches from him

Sure this sounds good but the 5 million extra was spent on Tarasenko who is at best maybe an average top 6 RW right now?

Take the better scorer and overall player in AM but he is a Leaf so many will take the non Leaf.

Better poll would be Stutzle versus Mack or someone like that.
Mackinnon is better than Matthews by a decent bit

So don't see how thats a better comparison

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It took Matthews six seasons to hit that pace.

Stutzle has had three.
Matthews hit the 100 pt pace in his 5th year (102 I think in 2021 56 game season). Before likely peaking at 120 pace in his 6th year

I don't see Stutzle as a matthews level player. He is a rantanen/marner level player imo.

He could prove that wrong and be better than Matthews but I dont see him challenging for the hart/lindsay/rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad