Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Also ensuring that it doesn't get worse.
Sure, that's a discussion to be had with the doctors. Will this get worse if I play through it, if the answer is yes, then you rest him up, but feels like you're assuming the answer is yes, I don't know if that's a fair assumption.

There's a balance to be had, risk vs benefit. I get the feeling he would have been shut down far earlier if there was any significant risk of it getting worse, we've been out of the mix since Nov arguably. Sometimes, the body just needs time to reach 100%, but there isn't much in the way of risks associated with carrying on. High ankle sprains are an example, you're out for a while, then you have a while where you aren't quite right, but you are no longer at risk for aggravating it.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley

Really tired of having players play while being injured. Stu is a beast for putting up 70 points with a bum wrist, but its better for us to just wait till he's healed and then have him back full force. What if he had further injured his wrist?

Then there's no mid-air OT winner and Detroit makes the playoffs.

Reactions: Dionysus

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Really tired of having players play while being injured. Stu is a beast for putting up 70 points with a bum wrist, but its better for us to just wait till he's healed and then have him back full force. What if he had further injured his wrist?

I don't think a bum wrist can justify the amount of egregious turnovers he has made this season that has directly led to prime scoring chances or direct goals against.

Hopefully a stern coach can fix that or at least hold him accountable for it.

Reactions: aragorn

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't think a bum wrist can justify the amount of egregious turnovers he has made this season that has directly led to prime scoring chances or direct goals against.

Maybe, but with his shooting ability taking a big hit, it's only natural that he was easier to defend against and chose to force passes that really weren't there.

He definitely needs to be smarter of course but losing the shooting option really hurts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe, but with his shooting ability taking a big hit, it's only natural that he was easier to defend against and chose to force passes that really weren't there.

He definitely needs to be smarter of course but losing the shooting option really hurts.
That's a good point, it also means other teams may key in on the reality that you aren't a shooting threat and "cheat" towards closing off that pass option even further

There's also the possibility that like his shot, he's getting less zip on his passes, making them easier to pick off.

I do think that he needs to adapt and know when to make the safe play and put that puck to the corner so that the forcheck can win it back, so the onus is still on him to play to his capabilities, but there are second order effects that often get ignored or missed when it comes to playing through an injury.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It makes sense, he really was not even close to playing to the level of the 2nd half of last year.

Hopefully he comes back stronger and faster next year. Just having him play up to his potential would make a huge difference.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Meh. It doesn't justify every turnover but when you can't do the things you're accustomed to doing it certainly impacts your decision making. It's a young player who struggled with injuries and the adjustments that needed to be made.

Hopefully we see the player we did last year once the next season begins.

Reactions: Dionysus and DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Also, if you want your players to only play when they are 100%, you're not going to see them that often

It is the nature of this sport

Reactions: Dionysus

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

No but I can say from experience though that a bunk wrist is a crippling handicap to a hockey player. These sticks today are so light and whippy. Your wrist feels every touch of the puck and every touch from your opponents stick. The vibrations from a solid chop to your stick can feel just like an electric charge shooting up to your wrist.

And players are so skilled and can dangle the puck like never before. But these shots and dangles all start in the wrist. All of the manual dexterity in hockey comes from the wrist.

And no amount of tape can "fix" your wrist either, at least not like it can with an ankle, a knee or finger to varying degrees. Your wrist needs to rotate in basically every direction and withstand impact and high amounts of stress during any hockey game. Its on the first line of defense and contact in most situations.

No but it probably explains a good portion of the 21 goal drop off.
This.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad