OT: Ticket thread 2022 - 2023 (Make sure to read rules on post 1 before posting tix!)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Mine went up $20 per seat per game to $187.

Playoffs...o_O YIKES....

round 1 $230
round 2 $340
round 3 $450
round 4 $670
50 % of teams (16) make playoffs
25 % of teams (8) to round 2
12.5 % chance (4 teams) round 3
6.25 % chance (2 teams) Finals

So 1 of every 4 yrs you make round 2

Someday they will suck and people won’t pay these prices for Ottawa type record

Most people rely on regular buyers when they go they will give up tickets

I saw it with many of my friends who had Celtics season tickets with big 3

They no longer could sell games

LetsGoBruins97

May 17, 2022
Arlington, VA
There's a chance of Thursday, but most likely this weekend. I believe the magic number is technically 4 points. Any combination of 4 gained points by the Bruins or lost points by the Islanders or Senators clinches a spot.

As for the playoff schedule, last day of the regular season is 4/14. Historically, there are at least 2 days between the last day of the regular season and playoffs, so absolute best case scenario is 4/17 for Game 1. NHL might like the idea of a Boston sports day, but I'd say we're probably looking at a less than 50% chance that it's before 4/18.
Thank you for this insight. Accordingly, I am going to stay in Boston until 4/19, hoping they play Game 1 ECQF on either Monday or Tuesday night.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

Prices to rise​

The Bruins on Monday announced a “blended” bump of 10 percent to the prices of 2023-24 season tickets, which means the hit to the wallet varies depending on seat location. On Friday, the season-ticket office emailed many ticket-holders, underscoring that ticket resales are allowed only through the Bruins and their affiliation with Ticketmaster. Season ticket-holders opting to use secondary-market vendors were warned such practice could result in forfeiture of their accounts …

dans1982

Feb 26, 2023
Today’s Globe:

Prices to rise​

The Bruins on Monday announced a “blended” bump of 10 percent to the prices of 2023-24 season tickets, which means the hit to the wallet varies depending on seat location. On Friday, the season-ticket office emailed many ticket-holders, underscoring that ticket resales are allowed only through the Bruins and their affiliation with Ticketmaster. Season ticket-holders opting to use secondary-market vendors were warned such practice could result in forfeiture of their accounts …

Did anyone get this resale email referenced above? Was it only sent to people who had resold a certain amount? Curious where the line is drawn.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Did anyone get this resale email referenced above? Was it only sent to people who had resold a certain amount? Curious where the line is drawn.
There are some Facebook ticket exchange groups. Bruins employees joined the groups and identified STH names. I believe that the email warning went out to people that were on the Facebok groups.

The Bruins are very serious about this. The STH terms says that Ticketmaster Ticket Exchange is the only platform allowed to resell your season tickets. Using any third party like Stubhub, Vivid Seats, Facebook, etc. is prohibited and they will terminate your account. There is a very deep waiting list so they won't hesitate to cancel season ticket accounts. I don't know how they can prove Stubhub or Vivid sales if you don't list your actual seat number, but most people on Facebook have their real name and email address on there so it was an easy target for them to fire out a warning shot.

Read the STH terms. You are allowed to resell through your season ticket account (aka Ticketmaster) 80% of the games through Feb 1 . Tickets sent to family, friends, etc. are not included in the 80% figure. They are targeting resales, not tickets forwarded to someone. I suggest confirming all of this with your rep if you have any doubts about how you are handling your tickets.

Last edited:

LetsGoBruins97

May 17, 2022
Arlington, VA
Is there any hope amongst those who have been to more games than me that the second-hand Bruins playoff ticket market will become more reasonable closer to puck drop?

nickyb

May 5, 2004
Is there any hope amongst those who have been to more games than me that the second-hand Bruins playoff ticket market will become more reasonable closer to puck drop?
For Round 1 Home Games 1 and 2 I would say yes........those first two games will probably be on 4/17 and 4/19 (or maybe 4/18 / 4/20)........a weeknight home game against potentially the Islanders, Panthers or maybe Pens (slightly more desirable) really ought to see a price drop given where the numbers are currently online.....this team also obviously has Cup aspirations so Round 1 is sort of an afterthought for some fans as well.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Ticket prices are nuts.

I have had my seats for 20 years and the price went up for next season more than they ever had.

When I was working (retired now) I used to sell a few games to folks I worked with for just what I paid for the seats. Now that I am making MUCH less $$ I sell on the exchange for more than I pay for them (sometimes LOTS more). I must do this so I can afford to go to more games.

We never sell playoff games as we love to go.

I feel bad for selling high but to be able to keep the seats that is what I must do.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There are some Facebook ticket exchange groups. Bruins employees joined the groups and identified STH names. I believe that the email warning went out to people that were on the Facebok groups.

The Bruins are very serious about this. The STH terms says that Ticketmaster Ticket Exchange is the only platform allowed to resell your season tickets. Using any third party like Stubhub, Vivid Seats, Facebook, etc. is prohibited and they will terminate your account. There is a very deep waiting list so they won't hesitate to cancel season ticket accounts. I don't know how they can prove Stubhub or Vivid sales if you don't list your actual seat number, but most people on Facebook have their real name and email address on there so it was an easy target for them to fire out a warning shot.

Read the STH terms. You are allowed to resell through your season ticket account (aka Ticketmaster) 80% of the games through Feb 1 . Tickets sent to family, friends, etc. are not included in the 80% figure. They are targeting resales, not tickets forwarded to someone. I suggest confirming all of this with your rep if you have any doubts about how you are handling your tickets.
Yah as long you use Ticket Master resale you are good - you can sell them for a million dollars.
1. Ticketmaster gets there fee
2. You go over $600 for year you get a 1099 (not sure if it’s above the value of the seat so if my seat cost $100 and I resell one ticket for the year for $800 is the 1099 for $700 or $800?…should be $700)

3. You need to stay under 80% of the games without being identified as a ticket broker
Basically you can sell s bunch of games without any problem losing seats or getting crap what you charge if you use their Ticketmaster account resale

They are in business with Ticketmaster so makes sense

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Yah as long you use Ticket Master resale you are good - you can sell them for a million dollars.
2. You go over $600 for year you get a 1099 (not sure if it’s above the value of the seat so if my seat cost $100 and I resell one ticket for the year for $800 is the 1099 for $700 or $800?…should be $700)
The 1099k is for the amount of the sales. In your example you would get a 1099k for $800. On your taxes you would need to subtract cost of the ticket of $100 and Ticektmaster fees paid. The net amount is what you pay taxes on.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The 1099k is for the amount of the sales. In your example you would get a 1099k for $800. On your taxes you would need to subtract cost of the ticket of $100 and Ticektmaster fees paid. The net amount is what you pay taxes on.
I don’t think the seller gets charged the TM fees the buyer does ?

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I did not get a 1099 this year (or ever) from them. I did sell a few tickets last season.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
So we got a 1099k for a couple games we sold and on the form it had us paying for TM fees. But when we went to the online account it had what our actual payouts were minus what TM took. What we actually made was below $600 and at a net loss so we paid nothing for it as we can prove we lost money.

Reactions: Ladyfan

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Nope. Both buyer and seller get hit. 10% fee for the seller. Buyer pays more, not sure how much but I think the seller fees are variable based on the amount of the sale.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I did not get a 1099 this year (or ever) from them. I did sell a few tickets last season.
The federal reporting requirement got delayed a year. You will get a 1099k for sales starting next tax year. Massachusetts and Vermont residents have been getting it because those states started having a $600 reporting requirement a few years ago.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The federal reporting requirement got delayed a year. You will get a 1099k for sales starting next tax year. Massachusetts and Vermont residents have been getting it because those states started having a $600 reporting requirement a few years ago.
swell! Thanks for the info!

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
swell! Thanks for the info!
Starting next season you will get the 1099k so use a spreadsheet to keep track of your sale prices and Ticketmaster fees. You will need that to account for your sales when you do your taxes. You need to track your selling price on each game, face value of the tickets, and Ticketmaster fees so that you can net it all out to only report and pay taxes on the profit amount (or loss). But a warning is that Ticketmaster gross sales reported on the 1099k seems to also include the fees that the buyer paid, which is wrong because you do not receive that fee. They refused to acknowledge that there was a problem with the gross that they reported. So you'll have to do some accounting to adjust the amounts.

Yes, it's as painful as it sounds. Don't take this as tax advice because I'm not sure that is the correct way to deal with the problem. If the IRS ever questions it through an unlikeley audit then I'll explain the reason for what I did and see what happens.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Starting next season you will get the 1099k so use a spreadsheet to keep track of your sale prices and Ticketmaster fees. You will need that to account for your sales when you do your taxes. You need to track your selling price on each game, face value of the tickets, and Ticketmaster fees so that you can net it all out to only report and pay taxes on the profit amount (or loss). But a warning is that Ticketmaster gross sales reported on the 1099k seems to also include the fees that the buyer paid, which is wrong because you do not receive that fee. They refused to acknowledge that there was a problem with the gross that they reported. So you'll have to do some accounting to adjust the amounts.

Yes, it's as painful as it sounds. Don't take this as tax advice because I'm not sure that is the correct way to deal with the problem. If the IRS ever questions it through an unlikeley audit then I'll explain the reason for what I did and see what happens.
It would be a notice from a Department called Underreporter

It would show the aggregate sales and not including your cost

What’s the deal with sports gambling ? Do wins have to be reported over certain amount for year ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad