News Article: "ticket sales have skyrocketed since the team traded for Phil Kessel"

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
''Season-ticket sales are up 600% compared to the same week last summer, including a 550% increase in all ticket sales. The Coyotes have also seen an increase in their website traffic mobile app visits and social media engagement over that time.

'It's certainly satisfying and exciting to see us doing something as a franchise that we feel makes us a much more competitive team and puts us in a better position to win,' Coyotes President and CEO Ahron Cohen said. 'The fact that other people in this market are seeing that, fans are seeing that, and they're jumping on board. It's good, positive momentum for this organization.'

The Coyotes are not oblivious to the reality of their arena situation. They understand the need for a long-term solution in Arizona, and have been active in their search for one. The impending arrival of new majority owner Alex Meruelo will undoubtedly be instrumental in that regard."

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Season-ticket sales are up 600% compared to the same week last summer, including a 550% increase in all ticket sales.

Actually a completely meaningless blurb when you break it down.

I have no doubt sales are up but nobody should be claiming a five or six fold increase overall. Don't fall for that.

The weekend package stats are more truthful:

Those packages, which launched prior to last season, have seen a 184% increase in year-over-year growth with still more than two months left in the offseason. It has provided some relief for those exhaustive rush-hour drives to Glendale on weekdays.

With a good team, weekday attendance should pick up.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It might be on Kessel for not having a press conference. While he did do a radio interview I could see him not being interested in flying down just to have a bunch of cameras on him. He is known for not enjoying talking to the media. The has released a Kessel shirt. The design is meh, one in the replies to the release on Twitter is better.

Anyway this news is great, maybe Phil will earn a jersey retirement for his contributions on and off the ice.:laugh:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Love this line ... "people that previously had been restrained from participating with us in a significant fashion because of some logistical challenges"

Can you tell Cohen is a lawyer? :laugh:

Or just "fans who want to be season ticket holders but can't because traffic is a pain in the ass"

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Love this line ... "people that previously had been restrained from participating with us in a significant fashion because of some logistical challenges"

Or just "fans who want to be season ticket holders but can't because traffic is a pain in the ass"
Great post.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Definitely lawyer speak but I appreciate how it's stated in that it more accurately depicts the problem of the arena being far from city center rather than just blindly saying it needs to be in the East Valley. The edge of Mesa or Gilbert is the East Valley but that wouldn't fix shit, it'd be the same problem only on the East side. The arena needs to be near the center of Phoenix metro and maybe 25 years ago that was downtown Phoenix but these days that's somewhere closer to the 101 East between say the 202 and Camelback. If you look at a map really the central part of Phoenix metro is probably around Arcadia but obviously that would be a horrible area for an arena.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Maybe they should actually market him and make a big deal out of him. Tyler ****ing Myers got a press conference in Vancouver. Imagine if they traded for Kessel? They’d probably have erected a goddamned statue.
Ala Tony Amonte and Chris Gratton?
No thanks

Reactions: ck26

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Ala Tony Amonte and Chris Gratton?
No thanks
So what was the deal with Tony Amonte? Just did a quick wiki check and his numbers with us werent horrible.. Did we just expect more? I see we signed him as UFA and traded him away at the deadline that year.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
So what was the deal with Tony Amonte? Just did a quick wiki check and his numbers with us werent horrible.. Did we just expect more? I see we signed him as UFA and traded him away at the deadline that year.
They thought they were getting 65+ Amonte but he was on pace for around 45pts. Our standards have become so low that a 45pt player seems pretty good but you have to remember back then the Yotes weren't too far removed from having an actual offense.

Reactions: CC96 and Vip

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Definitely lawyer speak but I appreciate how it's stated in that it more accurately depicts the problem of the arena being far from city center rather than just blindly saying it needs to be in the East Valley. The edge of Mesa or Gilbert is the East Valley but that wouldn't fix ****, it'd be the same problem only on the East side. The arena needs to be near the center of Phoenix metro and maybe 25 years ago that was downtown Phoenix but these days that's somewhere closer to the 101 East between say the 202 and Camelback. If you look at a map really the central part of Phoenix metro is probably around Arcadia but obviously that would be a horrible area for an arena.

Ironically enough, the real "center" of the metro area is almost precisely where Veterans Memorial Coliseum is - but no way in hell would I build a new arena in that spot. That's one of the worst ingress/egress situations in the city and the whole area around it is sketchy.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Ironically enough, the real "center" of the metro area is almost precisely where Veterans Memorial Coliseum is - but no way in hell would I build a new arena in that spot. That's one of the worst ingress/egress situations in the city and the whole area around it is sketchy.
101/202 area is pretty central to population, plenty of open land, freeway access, and nightlife all right there. That is the obvious best choice.

Reactions: rt

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Definitely lawyer speak but I appreciate how it's stated in that it more accurately depicts the problem of the arena being far from city center rather than just blindly saying it needs to be in the East Valley. The edge of Mesa or Gilbert is the East Valley but that wouldn't fix ****, it'd be the same problem only on the East side. The arena needs to be near the center of Phoenix metro and maybe 25 years ago that was downtown Phoenix but these days that's somewhere closer to the 101 East between say the 202 and Camelback. If you look at a map really the central part of Phoenix metro is probably around Arcadia but obviously that would be a horrible area for an arena.

Tell that to Jim Rogers.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This is a joke, right? Your brain doesn’t actually work this way, right?
All in good fun. While I may take superstitions to a bit of an extreme, in regard to things like where to park, route to games, I don't actually take it seriously.

Except, of course late in 2012 when the boys found victory as Van Halen's "Right Now" ended just upon my arrival at the arena. From there out it was cued for the same end time. Sadly (and not surprisingly) as we all know, it didn't work in the end.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Seems to me that hockey fans are responding to the ownership's decision to spend over the minimum in order to ice a good team.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
They thought they were getting 65+ Amonte but he was on pace for around 45pts. Our standards have become so low that a 45pt player seems pretty good but you have to remember back then the Yotes weren't too far removed from having an actual offense.

Part of the excitement was that he was the best free agent available. Usually nobody gave the Coyotes any hope of signing the top FA's so to get him shocked the hockey world. We missed having top line guys like Roenick and Tkachuk and thought we had another star who would step up.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I disagree that 19th Ave and McDowell is the center of Phoenix metro, that's way to far West.

Reactions: Murf

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Put me in the group of people that will be attending more this year than previous. I was a season ticket holder downtown, but went down to about 1 per year on the west side. This season I’m picking up 5-10 games on a group buy.

I have my passport ready, bought some new luggage and will freshen the emergency supplies I carry in my car - Glendale here I come!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Put me in the group of people that will be attending more this year than previous. I was a season ticket holder downtown, but went down to about 1 per year on the west side. This season I’m picking up 5-10 games on a group buy.

I have my passport ready, bought some new luggage and will freshen the emergency supplies I carry in my car - Glendale here I come!

Be sure to have all your vaccinations up to date.

Reactions: SR, Mosby and Murf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad