Islanders Point Blank: THW rank Leddy 9th best DMan in NHL.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/the-hockey-writers-leddy-is-nhls-ninth-best-defenseman/

“When on the ice last season, [Leddy’s] team had possession of the puck for 55 percent of the time, good for fifth in the NHL,†James Tanner writes. “In two less minutes per game, and two less games overall, he put up virtually the same stats as Duncan Keith. Leddy is comparable to Keith over the last three seasons, but he’s averaged four less minutes per game.â€

WOW:yo:

The Led Pipe is the real deal baby and people are taking notice.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nice to see Leds get some high praise.

I'd like to see him seperate himself from Boychuk and Hamonic this year and prove that he can be a #1 guy. Hopefully he takes that two more minutes of ice time away from Hickey and whoever is with him on the bottom pairing.

Edit: Just looked up the whole article and also found this...

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-top-ten-defensemen-in-the-nhl-part-one/
Leddy is also one of the most underrated players in the NHL. Last season, his first with the Islanders, he scored the eighth most 5v5 points in the NHL, with 24. Leddy also had the least ice-time of any players in the top 15. He is just 24 and only getting better.

So yeah, like I said. I'd like to see him get top pairing minutes.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nice to see Leds get some high praise.

I'd like to see him seperate himself from Boychuk and Hamonic this year and prove that he can be a #1 guy. Hopefully he takes that two more minutes of ice time away from Hickey and whoever is with him on the bottom pairing.

Amen!!!

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Its great that Leddy is getting attention but the THW is a blog site, and not a good blog site at that. The guys who contribute to that site are no more informed than the typical poster here, and way less thoughtful and analytic.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
That contract is going to look like a steal in the next year or two. He's criminally underrated by some people.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Its great that Leddy is getting attention but the THW is a blog site, and not a good blog site at that. The guys who contribute to that site are no more informed than the typical poster here, and way less thoughtful and analytic.

I agree with you regarding the site, but the stats don't lie.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I'm suspicious of any article that doesn't have Keith in the top 3.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I still feel Boychuck is our best defenseman, followed by Leddy then Hamonic.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I don't think he is top 10, but if he keeps improving he will get there. Right now I think he is on a level with Hamonic and Boychuk, but Leddy probably has the highest ceiling. Playing with Keith in Chicago seems to have really helped him.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I agree with you regarding the site, but the stats don't lie.

You should see their prospect rankings a week ago, in which they ranked Reinhart well ahead of Pulock (something any casual observer of both prospects would not have done).

Just bloggers, and not especially informed bloggers at that.

Stats can be manipulated and spun by the way, so I would never agree with the idea that "stats don't like."

That's not taking away anything from Leddy. I'm complaining about the source, not the player.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Love seeing Leddy get some recognition. I don't think many of our own fans even realize how good he is. He's not only unquestionably a #1 defenseman, but a very good one at that.

He wasn't the #1 defender on the Isle last year - he was actually the third in icetime.

The Isles don't really have a true #1 defender - just three very good defenders who could all be quality 2/3 guys on better teams.

I'm not even sure Leddy, Boychuk, or Hamonic would be on the top pairing in every NHL city.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
He is taking into account age and trend which is why he has Keith at #7.

Some people would rank him [Keith] #1 and I am not trying to be an iconoclast by putting him at #7, but like I said before, this list is subjective and he is 32, and his game – from a statistical perspective – is in noticeable decline.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I still feel Boychuck is our best defenseman, followed by Leddy then Hamonic.

I think Leddy and Boychuck complement each other very well. A good defensive pairing needs to a) take the puck from the opposition, and b) move the puck up ice. Boychuck is great at separating man from puck along the boards, and Leddy excels at moving it up ice. Both are dangerous in the offensive zone, Leddy by way of his controlled zone entries, and Boychuk because of his powerful shot.

They're a really nice pairing.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I think Leddy and Boychuck complement each other very well. A good defensive pairing needs to a) take the puck from the opposition, and b) move the puck up ice. Boychuck is great at separating man from puck along the boards, and Leddy excels at moving it up ice. Both are dangerous in the offensive zone, Leddy by way of his controlled zone entries, and Boychuk because of his powerful shot.

They're a really nice pairing.

Yup. Well said!

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander
But I thought we didn't have a #1D?

We don't. At least not in the true sense (a guy who can shut down opposition and put up many points). Leddy is not there yet, but may grow into a true number one. Sometimes watching leddy (flame away) reminds me of a young Brian leetch. His puck possession and his ability to carry from his own end straight to the oppositions net, in a quick transition.

Personally I think boychuk is the closest thing we have to a number one. Physicality, d zone presence, and a great shot. I am very excited to see how leddy matures here. This could be the making of one of the biggest steal trades in the past decade though.

Edit: My favorite part about Leddy is when he does make a mistake in his own end, he has the speed to rectify it.

Last edited:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Get used to hearing this type of stuff boys - Leddy is a gem. The guy is better than Boychuk and is on a whole other level compared to the rest of the dmen on this team.

Hopefully Cappy grows a set of eyeballs this summer and sees just how good Leddy is. Maybe then he'll start getting the type of minutes he deserves (like a #1 dman).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad