News Article: THW has Hawks taking JT Compher in 1st round

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Most here seem to be okay with a lot of options that the Hawks should have at 30th overall. I will say, the majority (myself included) would prefer a Dman, but Compher would be a good pickup.

RomersWorld*

I kinda hope they trade it, TBH.

I wouldn't be opposed depending on who is available. But that 2010 draft just scares me away from trading back.

30th overall(Brock Nelson) for 35th(Ludvig Rendfeldt) and 55(Holl/Simpson)...can't remember the exact pick or which player but either way, clearly a terrible move unless we would've taken Rensfeldt at 30 anyways(Stan reached for Hayes as well, so who he might've). Imagine if we just took Coyle, Etem, Kuznetsov, Howden, ect instead of Hayes at 24th overall and then took Hayes with 30 overall. Hayes was a reach and would've almost assuredly still been there with #30. Etem would look real nice on his ELC for our team next year replacing Stalberg and Etem was who I remember most posters wanting here.

But it does work out too, the Wings traded like 24th overall(Matt Puempel) for 35th(Tomas Jurco) and 48th(Xavier Ouellet) - Although all are still prospects, that definitely seems worth the risk.

The problem is the Hawks obviously won't know who will be available when they trade down but I think the 2 biggest needs in the prospect pool are 1) defenseman and 2) goalie. I just hope they don't reach and draft for need instead of BPA. This 1st pick(or two if they trade back) is really important IMO since we don't have a 2nd and 3rd rounder. Hope Stan chooses wisely. Wasn't a huge fan of his 2nd rounder last year.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, yes.. we all know the 2010 draft looks disappointing compared to the 2011 and 2012 drafts (especially 2011).. but that draft wasn't bad at the time, which is what matters.

Kayes was considered a reach at the time; Rensfeldt was coming off a great U18 and Junior season in Sweden and was widely considered an early 2nd round pick; Simpson was a highly rated goaltending prospect and Holl and Johns were both ranked in the mid-2nd to mid-3rd round.

I don't think it will end up being a bad draft the Hawks. I think Hayes will be a solid fringe top-6/third line forward. I think Johns will end up a solid #5 Dman. Simpson could be a 1B type or backup. Nordstrom looks like a depth forward/PKer and Mac Carruth could be a backup.

If 2-3 of those guys reach their potential, it will have been a good draft for the Hawks. Yes, it could have been a great one, but the picks weren't really bad at the time. The guy I disliked most at the time was Holl and he's been the 2nd biggest disappointment, but I completely understand why the Hawks took him where they did.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I wouldn't be opposed depending on who is available. But that 2010 draft just scares me away from trading back.

30th overall(Brock Nelson) for 35th(Ludvig Rendfeldt) and 55(Holl/Simpson)...can't remember the exact pick or which player but either way, clearly a terrible move unless we would've taken Rensfeldt at 30 anyways(Stan reached for Hayes as well, so who he might've). Imagine if we just took Coyle, Etem, Kuznetsov, Howden, ect instead of Hayes at 24th overall and then took Hayes with 30 overall. Hayes was a reach and would've almost assuredly still been there with #30. Etem would look real nice on his ELC for our team next year replacing Stalberg and Etem was who I remember most posters wanting here.

But it does work out too, the Wings traded like 24th overall(Matt Puempel) for 35th(Tomas Jurco) and 48th(Xavier Ouellet) - Although all are still prospects, that definitely seems worth the risk.

The problem is the Hawks obviously won't know who will be available when they trade down but I think the 2 biggest needs in the prospect pool are 1) defenseman and 2) goalie. I just hope they don't reach and draft for need instead of BPA. This 1st pick(or two if they trade back) is really important IMO since we don't have a 2nd and 3rd rounder. Hope Stan chooses wisely. Wasn't a huge fan of his 2nd rounder last year.

Bruins wanted Hayes and likely would have jumped back into 1st round to grab him so that is why Bowman took him at #24

RomersWorld*

Yes, yes.. we all know the 2010 draft looks disappointing compared to the 2011 and 2012 drafts (especially 2011).. but that draft wasn't bad at the time, which is what matters.

Kayes was considered a reach at the time; Rensfeldt was coming off a great U18 and Junior season in Sweden and was widely considered an early 2nd round pick; Simpson was a highly rated goaltending prospect and Holl and Johns were both ranked in the mid-2nd to mid-3rd round.

I don't think it will end up being a bad draft the Hawks. I think Hayes will be a solid fringe top-6/third line forward. I think Johns will end up a solid #5 Dman. Simpson could be a 1B type or backup. Nordstrom looks like a depth forward/PKer and Mac Carruth could be a backup.

If 2-3 of those guys reach their potential, it will have been a good draft for the Hawks. Yes, it could have been a great one, but the picks weren't really bad at the time. The guy I disliked most at the time was Holl and he's been the 2nd biggest disappointment, but I completely understand why the Hawks took him where they did.

It wasn't a good draft no matter how you try and spin in.

Kevin Hayes was a reach. Etem, Coyle, and Howden already have NHL experience(Etem and Coyle making an impact), Kuznetsov is a top 5 prospect in the world arguably and Brock Nelson looks like at least a 3rd line center at the NHL level. It was 'a missed opportunity' by Stan. I do like Johns but he isn't a sure thing, while Rensfeldt is a sure bust and Holl is looking like one too.

And I am someone who likes Hayes and thinks he can make the Hawks in a couple years hopefully, but it was a reach. We could've instead had Etem/Coyle/Howden and then drafted Hayes with 30th overall. That would've been just what we needed. It just thinking back on the missed opportunity with 5 picks in the first 2 rounds or whatever. Hopefully Hayes gets shot up with whatever Bickell did this offseason and Johns does indeed sign with the Hawks.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Kevin Hayes was a reach. Etem, Coyle, and Howden already have NHL experience(Etem and Coyle making an impact), Kuznetsov is a top 5 prospect in the world arguably and Brock Nelson looks like at least a 3rd line center at the NHL level. It was 'a missed opportunity' by Stan. I do like Johns but he isn't a sure thing, while Rensfeldt is a sure bust and Holl is looking like one too.

And I am someone who likes Hayes and thinks he can make the Hawks in a couple years hopefully, but it was a reach. We could've instead had Etem/Coyle/Howden and then drafted Hayes with 30th overall. That would've been just what we needed. It just thinking back on the missed opportunity with 5 picks in the first 2 rounds or whatever. Hopefully Hayes gets shot up with whatever Bickell did this offseason and Johns does indeed sign with the Hawks.

Hayes is still playing in NCAA ,, You cant judge him against others who didn't go same route and scream about how it is negative he hasn't played in NHL.. Of course he hasn't played in NHL he is still in college

And again Bruins were looking at Kevin Hayes.. He wouldn't have been there at #30 so Bowman took him at #24

RomersWorld*

Bruins wanted Hayes and likely would have jumped back into 1st round to grab him so that is why Bowman took him at #24

Interesting, but still you don't know if the Bruins would've found someone who wanted to trade back or if they had to assets to trade up.

Even if the Bruins did trade up and take Hayes before #30...we'd be 'likely' stuck with two of Etem, Coyle, Kuznetsov, Howden, Nelson, Visentin, ect ... I'd be fine with that. Oh well though... in the past.

I just hate seeing busts 2 years after the draft. Not signing 35th overall is just pathetic and I hated Holl for a while now. There is hope for Johns, Hayes and maybe Simpson so hopefully they can make that draft look solid.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Interesting, but still you don't know if the Bruins would've found someone who wanted to trade back or if they had to assets to trade up.

Even if the Bruins did trade up and take Hayes before #30...we'd be 'likely' stuck with two of Etem, Coyle, Kuznetsov, Howden, Nelson, Visentin, ect ... I'd be fine with that. Oh well though... in the past.

I just hate seeing busts 2 years after the draft. Not signing 35th overall is just pathetic and I hated Holl for a while now. There is hope for Johns, Hayes and maybe Simpson so hopefully they can make that draft look solid.

Well Bruins had 32nd pick in draft ,, I don't think it would have been difficult for them to move up to nab Hayes before 30th pick (Hawks 2nd pick)

Simpson recovered after horrid start last year and looks like he might have potential

Don't forget about Carruth in 7th round either

RomersWorld*

Hayes is still playing in NCAA ,, You cant judge him against others who didn't go same route and scream about how it is negative he hasn't played in NHL.. Of course he hasn't played in NHL he is still in college

And again Bruins were looking at Kevin Hayes.. He wouldn't have been there at #30 so Bowman took him at #24

He might have been there at #30. Just because the Bruins were looking at him or wanted him doesn't mean they will trade up to get him or one of the 5 teams between pick #24 and #30 will want to trade down. Maybe the Bruins were planning on trading up in the 2nd round to get him.

I realize the book isn't out on Hayes yet, but he is about to spend another year in college and usually 1st rounders are in the AHL/NHL by this time. And anyways, I never called Hayes a bust and I do like his potential but IMO he is still needs a few years in the AHL before he can even make the NHL. I mean why exactly is he still at BC? He should be in the AHL getting used to playing against more physical play. He needs work defensively, needs to hustle more on the backcheck, needs to work on faceoffs ... I think he'd of been much better off at the AHL level but I guess they didn't think he'd get playing time or something? Not sure.

The point was how trading down doesn't always work out and the awful Rensfeldt pick came to mind.

BTW, many scouting services and the Canucks draft list that recently came out actually had another Swede Calle Jarnkrok above Rensfeldt and I've seen many Swedish posters here comment about how stupid it was to take Rensfeldt over Jarnkrok and they didn't understand why. Jarnkrok is a top prospect for Detroit while Rensfeldt wasn't even signed. Bad pick. No matter how anyone spins it when you draft a bust it is a bad pick. Or maybe the Beach pick was great because at the time he was considered a steal and a top 10 talent....

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, and Kuznetsov been a top prospect for how long? He'll come over, and there's no guarantee he'll stay - actually, there's no guarantee he'll even come over, period.

It's a disappointing draft in hindsight. Not a bad one. The 2008 draft is a bad draft in hindsight. There's still a very good chance Chicago gets a couple players out of this draft, and at least two of them project to be solid NHLers (Kayes, Johns).

I've never, ever been a fan of Etem. Yeah, I'd prefer Coyle in hindsight, but Kayes was considered pretty even with Coyle at the time of the draft and Kayes could still end up being the better player - not looking like it at this point, but you never know and Howden's not better than Kayes IMO.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I recently published a two round mock draft at thehockeywriters: http://thehockeywriters.com/ives-mock-able-two-round-2013-nhl-mock-draft/

I had the Blackhawks taking JT Compher 30th overall in the first round and was wondering what the Hawks' faithful thought of this.
Dont like your picks at 28-30 TBH but its the end of the first round so its anyones guess. I do like the stuff at THW.

Compher is a distinct possibility but hometown means little for the first round especially at 30. The Hawks dont need wingers and wingers are a dime a dozen. Comphers f/o was pedestrian. Around 50% at invitational tournaments. If he had killer f/o numbers and was a lock for C, then my opinion would probably change but I see him playing wing and the Hawks do not need wingers at the moment.

Im hoping the Hawks go D and my pick is Madison Bowery. Other dmen in play are Santini, McCoshen and Theodore but Id rather see the Hawks pick a RD. Hagg is an outside possibility if he drops but I think Id rather the others listed before Hagg even if he drops. Fact is whomever the Hawks select as a dman, they need to be able to skate well.

I think the board here is split between Compher, Bowery, Santini and Theodore.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Screaming for Kuznetsov is barking up the wrong tree. I'd be surprised if I ever saw him play over here.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
we still don't know about Johns, Simpson and Kayes + we got Jayes that same year in a trade. Jury is still out but it does not look good as of today

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I don't think any of the top D fall to us so I can see us picking a center. Compher or Petan would be sweet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad