Pre-Game Talk: Thursday McFlyers

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Do you think they will boo Connor tomorrow? Lots of animosity in philly about him winning rookie of the month.

I think we will win this one if we can maintain the way we have played in our last 4

Hopefully Connor can troll his Calder competion in Gostisbehere (sp?) like he did Eichel yesterday and shut them up.

That said, I'm finding what Gostisbehere is doing is quite impressive. Per game he's got to be near the top of the league in defense scoring.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Draitsatl hasnt been super noticeable but he hasnt been bad in my opinion. He does look a little tired when going back to the bench during line changes. That being said, theres at least 2 times a game where he sets up a teammate with an unreal pass for a golden scoring chance (which they usually dont capitalize).

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Ghost has shot up to being one of my favourite non Oiler players. He's awesome to watch.

I'm excited for this one, hope we can get the W.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid vs Eichel, and now McDavid vs Ghostbear

although I have to be jealous that they have a defenseman like that. That's what Schultz should have been. I picked up Ghost on my fantasy team a month into the season and it's been amazing.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
McDavid vs Eichel, and now McDavid vs Ghostbear

although I have to be jealous that they have a defenseman like that. That's what Schultz should have been. I picked up Ghost on my fantasy team a month into the season and it's been amazing.

Ghost really does deserve to be a finalist for Calder IMO. I got B. Schenn on my fantasy team and he's been a pretty pleasant surprise as well.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
I think Drai is sick/hurt. Wasn't Stauffer or someone saying they noticed he has been coughing the last few weeks?

I have been saying this for weeks (not on here, amongst my friends), but I am sure Drai is playing with broken Ribs since he got laid out about a month ago. He always is slow getting up, uses his stick to help him self, coughing all the time. I think he is playing through something right now.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I wonder how much better standings wise we would of been without injuries to McDavid, Klefbom, RNH and if we got ride of Schultz/Purcell earlier.

I'd say conservatively we would be 8 pts higher in the standings.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I wonder how much better standings wise we would of been without injuries to McDavid, Klefbom, RNH and if we got ride of Schultz/Purcell earlier.

I'd say conservatively we would be 8 pts higher in the standings.

Add another 8 points if we had a fair shake from the refs and a decent powerplay.

(whether we can get these things with our current group could be debatable)

Jun 9, 2011
Add another 8 points if we had a fair shake from the refs and a decent powerplay.

(whether we can get these things with our current group could be debatable)

We need to address that powerplay. The last few games better show improvement or else.. well nothing.. it's the Oilers way. :sarcasm:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Drai has slowed down but he has still been good.

Did people really expect him to keep up his insane pace.

"He's disappeared". GTFO

This. Same as people doubting that Nurse will ever be any good because he's being thrown to the wolves and forced to drag Schultz around for 20+ minutes a night.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Aside from really wanting to see this team with three good offensive centers. I hope they try him on McDavid's RW when RNH comes back, those two were dynamite in the preseason and we haven't seen them together since. McLellan even called them his best forward pair.

A healthy Oilers team is going to have a ton of options up front.

Hall - RNH - Kassian
Yakupov - McDavid - Drai
Pouliot - Lander - Eberle
Hendricks - Letestu - Maroon

If we're stacking 2 lines with Pouliot likely out for the rest of the year, then I'd rather see this to finish out the year:

Hall-Nuge-Drai
Yak-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Lander-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen/Cracknell

Klefbom-Davidson
Sekera-Fayne
Nurse-Pardy

Talbot
Brossoit

The Hall-Nuge-Drai line were money in the short time they were together, and Lander has played much better of late and could benefit from having 2 big heavy cycle wingers who can still chip in some offence.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Yak better be on the same line come Thursday. Guy did everything a coach could ask. Helped sustain constant pressure in the o zone and made a bunch of great stick checks on players in his own end leading to a turnover going the other way. I'll be really disappointed if Mac gifts that spot to a new player in Maroon when Yak has been patient this entire time.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
If we're stacking 2 lines with Pouliot likely out for the rest of the year, then I'd rather see this to finish out the year:

Hall-Nuge-Drai
Yak-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Lander-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen/Cracknell

Klefbom-Davidson
Sekera-Fayne
Nurse-Pardy

Talbot
Brossoit

The Hall-Nuge-Drai line were money in the short time they were together, and Lander has played much better of late and could benefit from having 2 big heavy cycle wingers who can still chip in some offence.

Maybe put Drai as centre for faceoffs but shift over to RW after the draw.

Aug 10, 2015
Here are the lineups (at least the ones from the last thread between the Flyers / Oilers).....on one of the few nights I can remember where the Oilers won a game and I was unhappy with the outcome :shakehead

aak2co

http://prnt.sc/aak2co

I think we have gotten bigger with our current lineup, and I hope we have gotten better but if McDavid tries to beat two defensemen wide on a 1 on 2 shorthanded, I will be holding my breathe :D

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Are we going to talk about the disappearance of Draisaitl?

Draisaitl is still playing well. He has slowed down which was completely expected but he's still out there doing good things, setting up guys for good chances that they don't capitalize on. Had a few chances himself that he hasn't buried too. He's doing the right things but isn't necessarily getting the bounces, plus I think he is a bit tired. The NHL is a grind and it can be hard for a young, heavy guy like Drai.

I think Drai would still produce at a decent pace if Hall had been better. Hall only has 2 goals in his last 18 games, compared to Leon who has 6 goals in his last 18 games. That pretty much says it all. Leon is a playmaker and rely on others being able to finish his plays, yet he has more goals lately than Hall and is actually only 4 goals away from having scored as many goals as Hall this year but with 10 games less played. So...I would blame it more on Hall being in a slump rather than Draisaitl "disappearing".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad