GDT: Thurs, 08-Oct-2015 | OTT @ BUF | 7:00P ET | TSN5 | Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I appreciate you trying to look on the positive side, but one scoring chance a game is not going to cut it and shouldn't be applauded. It's liking giving out a participation medal. The trio had 0 shots on goal.

Technically, that's just the one scoring chance that stuck out in my mind. They may have had more and just missed the net, I haven't bothered to check.

Expectations for a fourth line shouldn't really be to create a ton of offence, and personally, I think if they can get one chance like that one per game (except not fan on it), it's a win. Open shots from the slot off a pass with the goalie moving are very high quality chances.

In the end, I don't think they hurt us that game, so I'm not sure why people are complaining. I'm not suggesting they were dominant, or great or anything, just that there wasn't really much to comment on one way or another.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Stone and Turris are going to get a lot of points this season.

That steal by Stone on the 2nd goal was a perfect example of what makes him so special. Just a routine play by the D and he gets to the exact right place at the exact right time and all of a sudden its in the back of the net. Its such a treat to watch, the sky is the limit with this guy.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm watching the game right now (this is my life now, I watch hockey on replays because games start at 1:30am for me), and through two periods, there are lots of positives to take away here.

In fact, very few guys are having rough games - Wiercioch seems to be the main offender here. Ryan's not looking bad at all... a few bobbles with the puck, but his passing game is on point, he's creating a lot of opportunities on that line, and he's playing 200ft hockey.

On the other side though... Cody Franson. Woof. He's making a lot of teams who passed on him this summer look really smart for passing right now. He's a liability every time he's on the ice. I know he missed a lot of camp, but he looks like a guy who should be making the league minimum, not a UFA guy you are hoping to lean on for anything of substance.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I'm watching the game right now (this is my life now, I watch hockey on replays because games start at 1:30am for me), and through two periods, there are lots of positives to take away here.

In fact, very few guys are having rough games - Wiercioch seems to be the main offender here. Ryan's not looking bad at all... a few bobbles with the puck, but his passing game is on point, he's creating a lot of opportunities on that line, and he's playing 200ft hockey.

On the other side though... Cody Franson. Woof. He's making a lot of teams who passed on him this summer look really smart for passing right now. He's a liability every time he's on the ice. I know he missed a lot of camp, but he looks like a guy who should be making the league minimum, not a UFA guy you are hoping to lean on for anything of substance.

The 3rd is a bit of tire fire though...

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Stone and Turris are going to get a lot of points this season.

That steal by Stone on the 2nd goal was a perfect example of what makes him so special. Just a routine play by the D and he gets to the exact right place at the exact right time and all of a sudden its in the back of the net. Its such a treat to watch, the sky is the limit with this guy.

Turris on pace for 164 goals season

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
They should try this....

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Mac - Zib - Stone
Michalek - JGP - Lazar
Prince - Smith - Chiasson
(Neil)

I think Stone can play anywhere in the top-6 and excel. Which is a testament to the type of player he has become. Ryan needs the help of a good play-making center and Zib isn't there yet. So, in my opinion, this combination of lines will maximize our return on skill. Plus that 4th line could play more like 11 - 12 minutes a night instead of a paltry 8....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

You should probably just stop watching before you get too far into the third....

All in all though, I agree with you. The game wasn't a bad one by anybody imo.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think Ryan is forced into playing the role of playmaker on his line because Zib isn't there yet. Like any good NHL player Zib can do it sometimes but it's not really his main style. That's why some suggest a change of centre for Ryan. I'd like to see them move Pageau up to the 2nd line with MacArthur and then have either Stone or Ryan on the right. I could see a pretty productive hard checking 3rd line of Michalek, Zib and Lazar and the 2 top lines would be faster, balanced and dangerous.

I respectfully disagree with moving Pageau any higher than he is currently.

The 3rd line created literally no offensive pressure last night and JGP is part of the reason. 42% on the dot doesn't help create or sustain offence.

While Zibby's line also looked ragged, I believe he played a solid game considering Ryan was overplaying the puck and Lazar just isn't ready to be in the top six IMO.

IMO the problem isn't with Zibby.

IMO Ryan needs to go back on the right side with MacArthur or Prince on the left side to give the 2nd line an opportunity to succeed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm seeing that... the game tracker shows that we have two shots in the 3rd? Three?

This is going to be a treat to watch, I'm sure...

Just wait for it....

Ok you should be close now.

Hold onto your hat, it's gonna be a wild ride

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Keep in mind were all making evaluations based on one game played. Of course we're going to talk about the game by I think nothing can really be evaluated until the 10 game Mark to get a good feel about things.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Technically, that's just the one scoring chance that stuck out in my mind. They may have had more and just missed the net, I haven't bothered to check.

Expectations for a fourth line shouldn't really be to create a ton of offence, and personally, I think if they can get one chance like that one per game (except not fan on it), it's a win. Open shots from the slot off a pass with the goalie moving are very high quality chances.

In the end, I don't think they hurt us that game, so I'm not sure why people are complaining. I'm not suggesting they were dominant, or great or anything, just that there wasn't really much to comment on one way or another.

My expectations of a dynamite 4th line is generating turnovers, drawing penalties, and getting offensive zone faceoffs.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Boro and Cowen looked better than I expected but it was Buffalo. Cowen looked very strong.

They did look good and Buffalo is a bottom feeder but I don't know why everyone is using this caveat. I think Buffalo's offense will actually be pretty decent this year, it's their defense and goaltending that are the problem. They have a lot of speed at forward and this is exactly the opposition I was most worried about Cowen-Boro facing. I see it as very positive.

Cowen had one shift in particular where he pinned and hemmed Kane in the corner which I found very positive.

Lazar looks faster to me. I loved seeing that.

I agree. He also looked stronger and like he had developed his balance. I don't think he fights off that check for the ENG last season.

They should try this....

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Mac - Zib - Stone
Michalek - JGP - Lazar
Prince - Smith - Chiasson
(Neil)

I think Stone can play anywhere in the top-6 and excel. Which is a testament to the type of player he has become. Ryan needs the help of a good play-making center and Zib isn't there yet. So, in my opinion, this combination of lines will maximize our return on skill. Plus that 4th line could play more like 11 - 12 minutes a night instead of a paltry 8....

I'd rather try a few other combinations before breaking up Hoffman-Turris-Stone which have been excellent since they were assembled.

Personally, I'd like to see:

Prince-Zibanejad-Ryan : Prince's speed and playmaking would be an interesting addition to this line and would make up for Ryan being so slow. His playmaking would take away some pressure from Ryan having to try to carry the puck all the time. Might be a bit of a gamble in their own zone.

MacArthur-Pageau-Lazar: Excellent speed, very responsible, very tenacious. It's an upgraded version of last year's third line.

Michalek-Smith-Chiasson: Michalek's skill and speed help elevate Smith. Chiasson gets to play his regular side. Excellent size and better without Neil slowing them down.

or

MacArthur-Zibanejad-Ryan: MacArthur has a very decent all round game and would bring many of the speed and playmaking advantages Prince would even if I don't think he's as natural at it as Prince. Definitely more solid two ways than with Prince.

Michalek-Pageau-Lazar: I like Michalek's size and straightforward game with these two. Pageau gets to be a little creative with two very defensively responsible north-south wingers.

Prince-Smith-Chiasson: Prince completely changes the outlook of the 4th line giving them a chance to actually be in the offensive zone. I think Smith has been much better this season so far and I want to see him play with better players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The 3rd line created literally no offensive pressure last night and JGP is part of the reason. 42% on the dot doesn't help create or sustain offence.

One thing I noticed about Pageau is that he was passing up shooting opportunities to dish the puck to guys who were in worse shooting positions.

Ferraro pointed it out once, but it happened a couple of times.

I think Ottawa passed up a lot of shots in general and missed the net fairly often, which makes the game seem pretty close. They did generate a fair number of odd-man rushes through the first two periods.

Mrs_NyQuil pointed out when they missed those empty nets (Turris off the post, Karlsson just past the crease) on that same shift, that it's the kind of play that goes back and costs you.

Buffalo PP happened just afterwards IIRC.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
We didn't get any power play opportunities yesterday. Was hoping to see how our power play would look.

Also, Cowen's hair is ridiculous.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

While Zibby's line also looked ragged, I believe he played a solid game considering Ryan was overplaying the puck and Lazar just isn't ready to be in the top six IMO.

IMO the problem isn't with Zibby.

IMO Ryan needs to go back on the right side with MacArthur or Prince on the left side to give the 2nd line an opportunity to succeed.

So you expect him to continue to be 42% at the dot for the whole season? He'll be up around 50% by the end of the season, convert one loss to a win last night, and he's at 50% on the night. His line more than doubled the oppositions shot attempts, and thats while starting 57% of his starts in the Dzone.

Meanwhile, Zibanejad's line was outshot despite him winning 70% of the draws and starting in the OZ 73% of the time.

It's only one game, so I don't want to bump him onto the 2nd line yet, but I find your resistance to the idea a little much. If you had said that Zibanejad has established himself over a much larger sample, sure, but one game of poor faceoff% is not much to go on.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I'm going to get flamed but I see no value in Lazar playing in the NHL right now. He's got no offence at all.... Why the SENS think its not better for him to go down to the AHL and discover his touch and then come back up is beyond me. But he should not be playing top 6 minutes

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i cant be the only one who thought neil played better than smith and chiasson right?

just asking because of all the line combos that have him out, he isnt going to be here longterm but if we are going based off yesterday then one of smith/chiasson need to be sitting

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
That top line though....Man is it ever fun to watch Hoff and Stone in particular play the game. Mix in an extremely steady and consistant Turris who was solid in the dot imo

Only one game but almost all have mentioned Cowen looked great, using his size and range all over the place made smart simple plays which is what he needs to do. I am happy for the big fella and hope he builds on this.

I will take the coach's challenge as it worked in our favour however it left a bad taste in my mouth as it looked to be literally a 1/4 inch offside. I am worried about a slippery slope for this rule.

Would agree on getting Prince in there ASAP, would have had him starting last night to be honest. Hope we can lose the mentality that we need an enforcer for Toronto games and get the skill in.

tough one for the Lehner, hope he gets healthy quickly.

Bring on bluey and the toilet seats!

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I'm going to get flamed but I see no value in Lazar playing in the NHL right now. He's got no offence at all.... Why the SENS think its not better for him to go down to the AHL and discover his touch and then come back up is beyond me. But he should not be playing top 6 minutes

I agree. But he is where he is because of the magical run last season, when they didn't want to touch the roster, and it's tough to send him down now.

He is on the 2nd line. Hopefully some time with Alfie at practices will help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad