Three Alexei's and Dynamo's lost chance

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I should warn you that i don't know if they ever played together and the line name is made up but, for at least the 1991-92 season, Moscow Dyamo had Alexei Zhamnov, Alexei Yahin and Alexei Kovalev on the same team in addition to Darius Kasparaitis, Alexander Karpovtsev and Dmitri Yushkevich on defence. Imagine what these three talents could have done in their prime in the NHL or even in Russia, they could have rivaled a Alex Mogilny/Sergei Fedorov/Pavel Bure line for all-Russian dominance. It makes me feel bad for Russian hockey fans who had the future of their league stolen by the collapse of the Soviet Union (not that that didn't have certain benefits). Add Kasparaitis and Sergei Gonchar, who arrived the next season, with Mikhail Stalenkov in nets and you've got a team that could have a great rivalry with the Red Army trio mentioned above who would have Vladimir Konstantinov, Vladimir Malakhov, Sergei Zubov and Boris Mironov on D with Nokolai Khabibulin in nets

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
It's worth noting that Kovalev had 16 goals and 24 points in 26 games. Yashin, 10 goals, 22 points in 27, Zhamnov 12 goals 28 points in 32 games. Kovalev by a few months being the youngest at 18-19 years old and Zhamnov the oldest by 3 years. Pretty impressive stuff, looking at Kovalev in the AHL, he racked up a gpg and 2 ppg. You could definetly use the "what could've been" with those three, they have the pure skill to be amongst the best, Kovalev
in particular. I don't think Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure we're ever considered a legendary line though, how many games did they play together? Makarov-Larionov-Krutov and Kharlamov-Petrov-Mikhailov we're legendary and a better comparison I guess.

In regards to Kovalev, I've always wondered what could've been. How a player with that much technical prowess(has anyone ever achieved such mastery of hockey skills?) can constantly settle for less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad