Post-Game Talk: Thoughts on the Flames Draft overall?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Overall thought we did pretty well with our picks. Was initially meh with Pelletier, but I think there's some good offensive upside and 2-way play with him that could be had, and overall think he will be a good one in a few years.

Also liked our 3rd and 7th round picks as well. Don't know much about Ilya, but he had some pretty decent offensive stats in the MHL, and I did like that he was committed to a 200 foot game and priority on defense.

Wolf... well, those f***ing stats are amazing. Being in the 5'11-6'0 range will make it tough, but he looks to be a gamer and a great value pick in the 7th round.

Overall, I'm happy. We'll see how it all plays out, but I have my full and honest faith in Treliving right now.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think the Flames did ok. I'm not overwhelmed, but it seems they did their homework to 'steal' a couple picks, i.e. Pelletier and Wolf. Wolf doesn't bother me at 6'0". Binnington is only 6'1" and he did ok as I recall.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames did about as you'd expect from a team that made no moves, and was picking super late in the first round.

Not in love like the 2015 draft, but think we could maybe get a couple players out of this one.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Absolutely love the Pelletier pick. Ilya and Wolf are intriguing. Our other picks seemed pretty okay as well?

Wasn’t blown away but I have a positive opinion overall. I’d give it a B-, since we didn’t manage to acquire any more picks.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think we did pretty good personally. Basically got a late first in Nikolayev and got a goalie that could be good going forward. Pelletier I am luke warm on right now. Granted that's based on me thinking our team needs size to compete.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ilya and JP picks make me think Treliving wants more pest and snarl in the dirty areas. I'm ok with that.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
Hard to get excited about picking late in the draft. Now its a wait and see game to see if we have any gems.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
giphy.gif

The uh...draft was pretty good all things considered. I like what I'm hearing about Pelletier so here's hoping he pans out to be a top 6 forward.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I like what we did here. Didn't have any high quality picks, but Wolf is a great pick up and is somewhat comparable to Hart and ended up setting the record for wins on the very same team, had comparable numbers to Hart's breakout season which was his D+1 I believe. Pelletier is a good play driver and it sounds like he has a ton of skill to build off of. Feuk... I don't know anything about him but he put up a point per game in the Superelit league which, based off people I've talked to is solid. Nodler doesn't impress me as much mainly because he didn't have a ton of points and don't feel he'll be an everyday player but you can't hit every pick. Nikolayev also seems like a pretty good pick with there being a bit of a project to it where he was good IQ but isn't consistent with skating/passing/positioning and needs to be worked on. His shot also just isn't all that great to begin with but he's a good pick and should be able to get the help he needs to get past his flaws.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think it was fine.

The biggest issue I think anyone can have is that we drafted late in the first round and didn't have a 2nd round pick so it was always going to be a pretty boring draft overall.

Judging drafts right after are always a tough thing to do but I don't have any glaring concerns about any of the picks and don't see that they missed any clear cut guys.

I think it would have be nice to move up into the 2nd to take a chance on Leason as I think he is certainly worth the gamble at that spot, but we didn't have a ton of assets to make that kind of move so no issue with that.

Kaliyev might make a lot of teams regret not taking him, but I hate gambling on a guy with a terrible attitude and holes in his game so I am happy we avoided him.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Solid B I think. Got some high skill players and a few great gamble picks.

A lot of us were whelmed on the Pelletier pick, but I've warmed to it as well. Just got caught up in the hype of who was still on the board.

Time will tell, but my gut thinks that we'll look back on this draft fondly. Some years it's easy to know that you won't (post 1st round 2014 I'm looking at you)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think it was fine.

The biggest issue I think anyone can have is that we drafted late in the first round and didn't have a 2nd round pick so it was always going to be a pretty boring draft overall.

Judging drafts right after are always a tough thing to do but I don't have any glaring concerns about any of the picks and don't see that they missed any clear cut guys.

I think it would have be nice to move up into the 2nd to take a chance on Leason as I think he is certainly worth the gamble at that spot, but we didn't have a ton of assets to make that kind of move so no issue with that.

Kaliyev might make a lot of teams regret not taking him, but I hate gambling on a guy with a terrible attitude and holes in his game so I am happy we avoided him.

The attitude/GAF meter stuff is hard to deal with.
Shinkaruk, Ho Sang, etc... like, just stay away from those guys. You can take a kid who doesn't take nutrition seriously, or off-season training seriously... they're 17/18 year olds, but the not caring or having a shit attitude that doesn't translate to snarl on the ice is something to avoid.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
How did you even find that? :laugh:
I get around... I might be the leader of a laptop butt catching group. Our goal is the PAN AM Games ... and the Common Wealth Games. We tried lots of other inanimate objects, like, antlers, War and Peace, Rhino horn, full-sized (fun sized amirite?) computer towers, ... The laptops just worked the best.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ilya Nikolayev looks familiar. I can't seem to put my finger on his doppelganger.

video partially related.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I get around... I might be the leader of a laptop butt catching group. Our goal is the PAN AM Games ... and the Common Wealth Games. We tried lots of other inanimate objects, like, antlers, War and Peace, Rhino horn, full-sized (fun sized amirite?) computer towers, ... The laptops just worked the best.

I’m dying... please stop :laugh:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I’m not a huge fan

Won’t be surprised if everyone busts, but also won’t be surprised if Pelletier becomes a 1st line threat, Nikolayev becomes a Russian Backlund, and Feuk and Wolf play a couple games.

Not holding out a lot of hope for Nodler but the US scouting has been turning up gems more often than not.

Then again, I don’t think there was really any can’t miss talent available from 88 onwards. There’s usually a couple guys that just inexplicably get picked late but the only guy that to me is an obvious NHLer late is Pasic.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I’m not a huge fan

Won’t be surprised if everyone busts, but also won’t be surprised if Pelletier becomes a 1st line threat, Nikolayev becomes a Russian Backlund, and Feuk and Wolf play a couple games.

Not holding out a lot of hope for Nodler but the US scouting has been turning up gems more often than not.

Then again, I don’t think there was really any can’t miss talent available from 88 onwards. There’s usually a couple guys that just inexplicably get picked late but the only guy that to me is an obvious NHLer late is Pasic.

So your analysis was similar to the weekend I had? As in, it was a crap shoot. (Stomach bug in my family, everyone infected. It was disgusting)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad