Thoughts on the Edmonton Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Another day another team! We move on to the Edmonton Oilers.

:edmonton

Thoughts on them?

They and Columbus were the teams that took some huge steps last season. I thought it was going to take them a couple more seasons for them to get it together, but you can't deny the acquisition of Larsson helping them out greatly. Chiarelli has really made some decent moves and has helped this team become competitive. Top that off with McDavid's 100 point season, Draisaitl's great seasonal play (playing RW and C), but what really was interesting was how well he played in the playoffs. He's a playoff beast. Talbot also played Vezina-like, which is something he's going to need to replicate to really show that he is a top 5 goalie in the league and not a fluke. And it's possible they can get behind the 8-ball with Sekera out for a the first bit of the season. Though, it gives opportunities for rookies to prove themselves.

The wildcards: Puljujarvi and Strome. Something tells me Strome is going to play better on this team than with the Isles.

Do I see them making the playoffs next year? Of course. And this is just my opinion, but I just don't consider them "contenders", #2 behind Pittsburgh like most make them out to be. Yes, they have McDavid and Draisaitl, they have Talbot, they have Larsson and Klefbom. However, they will be battling out the Ducks and the Flames for the division. It should be an interesting 3-way race, and I see the Ducks winning it yet again and the Flames/Oilers taking the 2/3 seed. So, prepare for the Battle of Alberta boys.

Last edited:

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
Should challenge for the division. Sekera out for about 2 months though. JP is a huge wild card. Could probably be regression in terms of overall points.

Talbot can't play as many games as he did last year when the Monster sh** the bed and cost them a good 3 games by himself (Although Talbot stunk up a few as well)

JJ was a good pick up. I think Strome could be around Eberle territory when it comes to points. Can't be as soft as him.

Playoffs yes. Who knows after that and any deadline pick ups...

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I think your post is level headed OP. I too see them competing with the Ducks and Flames for the division and I believe those three teams will make the playoffs.

There's a few people at HFOil who think the Oilers are completely screwed because of the Sekera injury and if any other injury happens, but Anaheim is starting off with three key injuries. There's doom and gloom with some fans, but I don't really get it. The team had 103 points last year, and it wasn't a fluke like the 13/14 Avalanche or the 12/13 Maple Leafs as the Oilers had good underlying stats.

Could be argued the Oilers didn't really improve in the off season, but to be fair, the division as a whole did not improve too too much either. Calgary obviously made the biggest upgrades, Arizona did some good moves and Vancouver paid for depth, but the California teams didn't do much and there's an expansion team to beat up on (sorry Vegas).

There are some definite wildcards on the roster: Does Draisaitl keep up his torrid pace like he did against the Ducks in the playoffs? Does Puljujarvi force himself in the a top six role?

Oilers will be competitive this season and I expect them to make it to the second round at the very least. They could go far as they have one of the best, if not the best, player in the NHL in Connor McDavid. Gotta also think that Chiarelli will be very active at the trade deadline; he's shown in Boston in 2011/12 and 2012/13 that he's not afraid to make an add if he thinks his team is ready to compete for the cup. They still have some flexibility in the cap at least this year to make said moves.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
At some point they're going to be the best team in the West. Maybe even as soon as next year depending on how their defense can hold up without Sekera and if they will get enough support from depth players. They have the goaltending and the high end talent to go far however

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
In all seriousness i think there is big potential to see the team be better than last year even.

guys like Klefbom/Nurse/Benning should continue to improve on the backend while i think the Oilers have a lot of depth players with potential who can possibly step up like Caggulia/Slepyshev and Puljujarvi. If they don't they still have Talbot McDavid and Drai to drag them to the playoffs but if any of their depth players breakout this year they'll be very dangerous.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It'll be interesting to see if their offensive depth holds up all season. Their top end (McDavid, Draisaitl) will do their thing, but will Maroon repeat his career year? Who will replace Eberle's consistent 50+ point production? Even Draisaitl is a bit of a question mark in terms of him producing as well if he's centering his own line instead of flanking McDavid.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
As Talbot goes......the Oilers go.

He goes down with an injury......season over. Even with McDavid playing up to par.

Then again.....if McDavid goes down, well, it would be just as ugly.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
They are a good team but their biggest need is in a goal scoring winger. Biggest hope lies in Puljujarvi panning out.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
It'll be interesting to see if their offensive depth holds up all season. Their top end (McDavid, Draisaitl) will do their thing, but will Maroon repeat his career year? Who will replace Eberle's consistent 50+ point production? Even Draisaitl is a bit of a question mark in terms of him producing as well if he's centering his own line instead of flanking McDavid.

Strome is getting at least 50pts if he is playing with McDavid

And don't forget Puljujarvi is a huge X factor this year, he could break out and score +50pts or go back to the AHL.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think a lot of their season will be dependent on Puljujarvi... if he can become a legit scoring threat, and give the oilers a realistic option to run 2 good scoring lines they can be deadly.

I still think they are a little soft defensively... and honestly RNH is not an answer to any team with a big center... idk that they did much to improve their faceoffs which was a big sore spot for them in the playoffs.

Outside of McDavid/Draisitl the oilers offense in the post season was pretty stale... letestu basically did all his damage on the powerplay. I'm not completely sold on them winning a lot of 7 game series with their currant roster, I think they'll win a lot of regular season games and be in series vs teams due to mcdavids/drais overall skill + Talbot stealing a few games here or there, but outside of that I don't like their chances.

Predictions:
2nd in the Pacific in a close race, knocked out by Calgary round 1.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Kind of sick of hearing about Edmonton's lack of Depth (although I also have my Maroon continuity doubts).

Lucic had a sluggish year and still had 50 points. Rumour is he is in better shape this summer.

RNH had a terrible year, but is still a capable 50 point player.

Strome had put up 51 points before, and if I heard correctly, played at that same pace under Weight. Maclellan will be a good coach for him.

Puljujarvi could very easily come in in a be a 50+ point player with McDavid or Drai.

Cagguila and Slepyslev were both rookies last year and showed offensive promise. Kassian was a solid 3rd liner who probably lead the league in weird bounces and disallowed goals. Jokinen and Letestu are great depth veterans.

There will even be some interesting competition in camp with guys like Khaira, Yamamoto, Lallegia, Rattie, etc.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
Overrated as hell team. Not sure why everyone thinks they're already legit contenders and the favorites to come out of the West when they were the laughing stock of the league just a year ago after a decade of no playoffs and 4 first overall picks.

This post is a laughing stock. What does their crapiness before have to do with now?

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Still think they need some growing, legitimate cup threat from 2018-19 onward. Probably gonna be a contender for that entire decade

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
Because they have done nothing to be considered contenders a season after being as bad as they were.

Then I REALLY question your eyes and hockey IQ

They didn't have unsustainable numbers last year. Sure they could drop in points, but I see them as a good playoff threat.

How many players are on next years roster that went through the terribad 6sh seasons?

Maybe do some research before posting such a hideous post...

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Then I REALLY question your eyes and hockey IQ

They didn't have unsustainable numbers last year. Sure they could drop in points, but I see them as a good playoff threat.

This is fair. There are several teams that can be considered good playoff threats. What makes the Oilers the favorite to come out of the West, and the #2 Stanley Cup favorite?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think they're a little overrated, but they're definitely in that top class of teams in the West. I'd take a healthy Ducks team over the Oilers and probably the Blues too, but they're a legitimate playoff threat out of the West. I think Edmonton is one of the last Western teams in the "legit chance at a cup" category, teams after them fall in the "would most likely lose to the Eastern Conference winner" or lower.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Overrated as hell team. Not sure why everyone thinks they're already legit contenders and the favorites to come out of the West when they were the laughing stock of the league just a year ago after a decade of no playoffs and 4 first overall picks.

Dated August 26th 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad