Thoughts on Protein Powders?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I am curious about thoughts on various protein powders for muscle gains.

What are people's thoughts on Whey (isolate, concentrate, and even casein), which is generally considered the gold standard, but can be pricier, particularly with organic (hormone free) versions? Cost seems like a real factor on most whey protein powders that I would use, as I would be looking for ones that are rsbT/rBGH free.

I am trying to limit dairy on occasions, so I am also curious about the use of egg white protein powders, which I feel may be taken for granted in the protein powder world. Again, I would be looking at egg white protein powders with only a single ingredient or limited additives (those without soy lechitin for instance).

Lastly, I am curious about muscle gain experiences using plant based protein powders (pea or hemp in particular).

Thanks.

Last edited:

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Honestly just buy the cheapest stuff or whatever your stomach can take. You won't see any difference regarding building muscle.

Muscle building is about your caloric intake and total amount of protein consumed. Protein powders are just there to make it easier, since a good rule of thumb is to get around 1,5/2 grams of protein per kg.

If you are a grown man, it's just convenient and easy to get that extra protein from powder rather than all from food.

I use isolate, but couple of times i've bought plant based (pea) protein powder by accident when i lived abroad and didn't notice any difference muscle building wise.

Egg whites are one of the best sources of protein and most used ones too, so no problem with that either.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Wouldn't buy them unless you are doing something "professionally".

Meats, dairy, and certain plant foods are not just protein sources, but also vitamin and mineral sources.

Of the meats, shellfish and wild oily fish(salmon, sardines) are quite beneficial. Mussels are a great source of mangaese and even have a little vitamin C. Oily fish are associated with a decrease risk of macular degeneration later in life.

Dairy, pasture-raised eggs and cheese are the some of the more nutrient-dense and nutrient-diverse foods; the yolk is what contains numerous vitamins.

Plant-wise, peanut butter from only peanuts is great for shutting down cravings for sweets. Grind it from nuts in a food processor and it will taste real nice.

Exclude free starches and sugars. Sugar intake should mostly be limited to select fruits and vegetables, with perhaps an exception before a hard workout.

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
sounds interesting. I take only vitamins but want to try protein powder too. I order all supplements on everest online. Plus I joined caliber membership so now I have discounts, free shipping and all inso about new sales. Quite convy.

Last edited:

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
A professional nutrition coach once told me.....the only two supplements you should use are Protein and pre-workout....the other stuff is just a marketing ploy for a billion dollar industry.

I use Myprotein.ca simple Whey protein, good flavors and macros. Cost has sky-rocketed but its a healthy and easy alternative when you need it. I mean when I need a healthy snack at 10:00 PM before bed, id rather have some protein and yogurt then good a chicken tiddy or make eggs.

Pre-workout is simply for the motivation and most have your daily intake of creatine and some have BCAA's, recovery and energy for us older guys is key.

Just don't get too huge on that Protein Powder...

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
A professional nutrition coach once told me.....the only two supplements you should use are Protein and pre-workout....the other stuff is just a marketing ploy for a billion dollar industry.
So these 2 are good, but creatine is a marketing ploy? It's the most researched supplement there is with a ton of science backing it up. Your nutritionist got this one wrong.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
So these 2 are good, but creatine is a marketing ploy? It's the most researched supplement there is with a ton of science backing it up. Your nutritionist got this one wrong.

Most pre-workouts have creatine in them. But I agree Creatine mono is a great supplement. I get it in my pre.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Lastly, I am curious about muscle gain experiences using plant based protein powders (pea or hemp in particular).

Thanks.

Whether you take whey or pea or hemp protein, they all contribute to muscle gain equally.
Most pre-workouts have creatine in them. But I agree Creatine mono is a great supplement. I get it in my pre.
5g though? I've noticed most pre workouts only have up to 3g on the higher ends.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Whether you take whey or pea or hemp protein, they all contribute to muscle gain equally.

5g though? I've noticed most pre workouts only have up to 3g on the higher ends.

And with meat I easily get the extra 2 grams. I do supplement creatine as of now, I started a new batch so giving it a try. What you over supplement will just come out your pee anyway.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
And with meat I easily get the extra 2 grams. I do supplement creatine as of now, I started a new batch so giving it a try. What you over supplement will just come out your pee anyway.

Why does it come out in your urine again? If it's too high concentration, body can't absorb it? Then would the body absorb it better if you take less each time but more times a day?

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Why does it come out in your urine again? If it's too high concentration, body can't absorb it? Then would the body absorb it better if you take less each time but more times a day?
Body can only store so much creatine. From my understanding the best advice is to do a Creatine load of 20-30mg's per day for 2 weeks, this will saturate your creatine storage and ensure it is at its top. Then 3-5mgs per day afterwards to keep the storage topped up.

But I'm not expert, just from what I was told and have read.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
I take whey protein mixed with water. Too many calories in those protein shakes.

Yup, I mix protein with water, MyProtein is the best one I've found taste wise so far that goes good with water. The pre-made ones you can buy at stores had too many other things that add to the calorie intake.

In other news, I got my gym set up at home, squat rack, Olympic bar and 330lbs weights, Ironmaster dumbbells are supposed to be in this week and going to buy a new bench next weekend.

Can't wait to have it all, start getting the kids interested in it!

Reactions: Rob

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I use Myprotein.ca simple Whey protein, good flavors and macros. Cost has sky-rocketed but its a healthy and easy alternative when you need it. I mean when I need a healthy snack at 10:00 PM before bed, id rather have some protein and yogurt then good a chicken tiddy or make eggs.

Pre-workout is simply for the motivation and most have your daily intake of creatine and some have BCAA's, recovery and energy for us older guys is key.

Just don't get too huge on that Protein Powder...
Creatine is, IMO, the single most beneficial supplement available.

Every single human being who even rarely workouts out should be taking some everyday.

There’s thousands of studies over many years backing this up. There’s a ton of benefits that don’t even just include muscle growth.

It’s only pointless to take more than 5mg of it a day though, as your body can’t absorb more and it’s just a waste to do anything above that

Also worth mentioning that HCL creatine is better at absorbing so you use less of it and in turn save money… but it tastes horrible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad