Player Discussion Thoughts on Klefbom's year?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
All stats are among d-men
76 games played (tied for 3rd)
12 goals scored (tied for 7th)
18 assists (tied for 64th)
30 points (tied for 50th)
+3 (Tied for 87th)
6 penalty minutes (tied for 226th most)
0.39 points per game (tied for 60th)
3 power play goals (tied for 20th)
11 power play points (tied for 34th)
3 Game winning goals (tied for 8th)
188 Shots on net (9th)
6.4% shot percentage (tied for 58th)
22:14 time played per game (42nd)
26.8 shifts per game (tied for 61st)
41 hits (tied for 168th)
136 blocked shots (30th)
78 missed shots (tied for 12th most)
63 giveaways (tied for 24th)
26 takeaways (45th)

His Hero Stats suggest that he's overall a top 2 d-man that provides a lot of offense while not making it very easy for the opponents to get shots on net.

His offense is obviously improving and I wonder if we'll ever see him start hitting people more.

I think he's a legit #1 d-man at this point. You'd be hard pressed to find a d-man on a better contract.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I had very low expectations heading into the season due to his inexperience. I was one of the few who was vocal about him being penciled into our top pairing. He hasn't been very consistent but I'm very impressed with his offense and ability to get pucks to the net and to our forwards. The only other D I've seen that can make nice stretch passes is Benning. Hopefully Nurse can add this element to his game as well. Larsson is the perfect partner for Klefbom and I can't wait to see them grow together. Man, our D core is so young and promising! Swap Russell out for a top 4 RHD and we're going to be set for a long, long time.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think he's been the 3rd best d-man on the team this year behind Sekera and Larsson. He has the highest peaks of the 3, but he also has the worst brain fart moments of them. He's not assertive enough offensively or defensively to be a #1 d-man imo. Plays a bit too passive in both zones.

Don't get me wrong. He's been really strong for the most part this year and has been a key player in our top 4. And it's awesome he's been able to stay healthy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Klefbom has been awesome this year. He's shown to be the best offensive d-man we have. He's shown that not only does he have a rocket of a shot, he's got the smarts to get it on net as well. He'll make a rare gaffe in the defensive zone every now and then, but so does every defenseman in the league. He's a #2 D-man right now, that's trending quickly to be a true #1.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think he's been the 3rd best d-man on the team this year behind Sekera and Larsson. He has the highest peaks of the 3, but he also has the worst brain fart moments of them. He's not assertive enough offensively or defensively to be a #1 d-man imo. Plays a bit too passive in both zones.

Don't get me wrong. He's been really strong for the most part this year and has been a key player in our top 4. And it's awesome he's been able to stay healthy.

I think he's been assertive enough in the offensive zone, he's one of the shot leaders from the blueline afterall. It's his creativity in the offensive zone which could use some work, it can't​ always be shoot, shoot, shoot... Though with the season Burns is having perhaps I'm wrong haha

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think there were a lot of questions about him coming into the season. Coming off an ugly injury that could have had career threatening results he has firmly established himself as a top 4 Dman(a #2 IMO) well worth his contract extension and still has the ability to improve.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's a pretty good season marred by minor mental mistakes and general inconsistencies.

He still has, easily, the widest dimension and largest potential of any Oilers D and I think can be rounded out into a #1.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think he's been assertive enough in the offensive zone, he's one of the shot leaders from the blueline afterall. It's his creativity in the offensive zone which could use some work, it can't​ always be shoot, shoot, shoot... Though with the season Burns is having perhaps I'm wrong haha

By assertive I mean he rarely ventures off the blue line. He shoots a lot, but it's almost always right from the blue line. You mention Burns, just watch how much he'll move down into the o-zone to try and get in a better shooting spot. Klefbom's only offensive play at the moment is the slapshot from the point.

That's fine. It's a hard shot and he's scored a lot of goals with it this year. But it's one of the things that is holding him back from putting up legit offensive numbers from the blue line. He's a one note player in the o-zone.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

While I agree with everything you wrote, I do think he still has a lot of potential and could be a proper #1 one day.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
He's a No.2 D. Has a few defensive gaffes but that's okay when you're only 1 of 2 D on the team who can consistently move the puck.

Huge shot has helped create lots of chances. Just needs to improve in front of his net.

Probably has one more season of development before we see his peak. Think he can still be a 50 point D-man which would be absolute $$ for the Oil. We'll see.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
He was much better offensively than I expected this season.
His skating has vastly improved and his decision making is faster
He sometimes has a whoops here or there but I couldn't be happier with Oscar's progression this year. Being healthy was a huge step to overcome.
Guys a minute eater and had a rocket of a slap shot on the pp.
Expect more of the same in the playoffs out of 77

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Klefbom has proven why he was given that contract.

This was his first full year of playing hockey since he was... 17? He still has room to grow.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Agreed with most everyone in this thread...great to see him have a healthy year for once, really developed his point shot this year but still needs to iron out the defensive part of his game, which is par for the course given his age and experience level.

Maybe the biggest positive side effect of the Larsson trade was that it gave Klef a steady dman partner that would allow Klef to develop the offensive side of his game as the year progressed, rather than being miscast as the defensive conscience of a pairing (i.e. Klefbom/Schultz), which was something he wasn't yet ready for.

To have that first fully healthy season though was huge. It could be the springboard to an even better player next year. :)

Hopefully the defensive brain farts will lessen as he gains experience.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'd give him a B+, at most A-, for the year. When he's great, which was fairly often this season, he's legit top pairing.

When he has "those" nights, one of the worst D.

Ideally, I wish he was a bit more assertive in our zone but all in all, not bad. There's definitely some synergy between him and Larsson

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
At this point I see him as a second line D playing first line and surviving it because the team is more defensive as a whole and he has Larsson to prop him up. He is tasked to be the Oilers offensive D and is doing only fair. His point totals could be much better, just being on the PP and playing time with McDavid should have him at minimum where he sits.
Not a bad year but not great.

I see Nurse passing him as Oilers top offensive D.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Quite simply amazing. Offensively he's been one of best offensive D in the league, especially 5 on 5.

If you look at his analytics (I won't get into a debate on overall analytics in hockey, time and place), he has been one of best D in the NHL. Ranks 3rd in wins above replacement behind Karlson and hedman.

In any event, this is his breakout year and we have a future #1 D

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Given at the rate this kid is developing, the sky is the limit for Klefbom. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a true #1D in 2-3 years time. The guy is constantly improving and getting better and taking that next step. How far he has come in such a short amount of time in the NHL + all the injuries that he has suffered through and that has hindered his development is quite impressive. Give him two more full seasons of NHL hockey and he could be one of the best two-way D in the league.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Been really struggling as of late, except last game against LA, I thought he played a awesome game for once in a while.

Consistency is the only thing holding him back now. Larsson might be the perfect partner for him, and Klefbom should thank him every day.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think he's established himself as a passable top pair guy. I don't think hes quite there yet in terms of being a top pair on a legit cup contender but the potential is certainly there. Him and Larsson compliment each other really well and as long as he has that defensive rock anchoring him he'll have plenty of room to grow. He had a great year, took major strides IMO.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The 12 goals was more than I expected, he will be a steal on that contract.

Offense was the one thing that was going to hold him back from ever being that #1 guy. Now somehow he's been able to put up just as many goals as he has in his previous 6 pro seasons combined?

Makes you wonder how much more developing this kid can do

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It went as I expected. He's had great chemistry with Larsson and has contributed to our winning record. It was also likely that coaching would push Klefbom to get more offense considering how defense oriented our D is. That's why he can look a bit rough in some games. Make no mistake, once he masters this new role he will be that much better for having that extra dimension

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's been excellent, imo. The offensive uptick has been quite welcomed and, as he's still probably learning to play this much in this many situations, he's continuing to develop into a top defenseman.

I'm very happy with what I've seen so far and what I hope I will continue to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad