Thoughts about Jankowski?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree. But this kind of post always got me blasted for being a homer so be careful.

Before watching him adjust in the NHL, I would have thought he’s a 40-50 pt player down the road. But I have to say I agree with your Wheeler comparison in terms of a developmental curve. Janks is an excellent skater, but he does look clunky at times but I think that’s due to him still adjusting to his body.

I remember one year I grew 5 inches in Jr High, and I was a basketball player and it literally took me almost 2 full years to get my coordination down. Janks has near elite all around IQ, his hands are near tops on the team and he has one of the best shots. I think as he matures like Backlund did, in couple of seasons he’s going to start to not only produce, but dominate. I think the only players on the team more skilled are Johnny and Tkachuk. He’s on par with Bennett.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Before watching him adjust in the NHL, I would have thought he’s a 40-50 pt player down the road. But I have to say I agree with your Wheeler comparison in terms of a developmental curve. Janks is an excellent skater, but he does look clunky at times but I think that’s due to him still adjusting to his body.

I remember one year I grew 5 inches in Jr High, and I was a basketball player and it literally took me almost 2 full years to get my coordination down. Janks has near elite all around IQ, his hands are near tops on the team and he has one of the best shots. I think as he matures like Backlund did, in couple of seasons he’s going to start to not only produce, but dominate. I think the only players on the team more skilled are Johnny and Tkachuk. He’s on par with Bennett.

I grew 8 inches between grade 8 and 9. That said, Jankowski is 23 years old. I'm sure he can work at his quickness some, but like I said before and you mentioned here with the word "clunky," his agility movements are not quick. Last night there was a play where it seemed he took half of the ice to complete a turn back up the ice toward the offensive zone. I was about to make a comment on it, but then a minute or two later he scored that beauty.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Always the victim. That kind of post would get you replies that actually start a discussion. Some that disagree might think you are a homer, but the majority would just reply, either asking why you think that, or agree with you. The posts you get blasted for is crap like saying a guy with 80 career points in 3 seasons in the league would be a perennial hart candidate if not for the coach.

Or saying our top scoring centre by a country mile over the last 4 seasons would be better on the third line RW.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Prior to this season, I figured Jankowski likely ended up as a bottom six C who could capably hold down the middle of the ice and could be used on the PK, but I also thought there was a slim chance he ended up as a 2C with a great defensive game. I think it's still unlikely he reaches that ceiling (maybe a one in three shot), but it seems more believable now, and I think he makes an elite third line guy rather than an average one, sort of in the mold of a Nick Bonino.

Reactions: Sk8M8

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I still think Janko has some growing pains from being such a large guy. He almost looks like a growing teen out there. I know he's older, but he still has some filling out to do. I bet his skating overall will improve as he fills in...Either way, that goal last night was special. Starting to really look like a legit top 9 option and worthy of our 1st pick in that draft.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Also, I'm not totally convinced on Jankowski as I've alluded to before.

That goal was sick. His hands are obviously silky smooth. It seems his IQ and positioning are good.

But my concern is his speed and agility. I mean sometimes it seems he needs half of the ice surface to make a turn. There were a few instances where the offensive momentum was killed or stalled because he was unable to make the quick turn and keep the puck in the zone or return it to the zone quickly inhibiting the other team from changing. Obviously he's not going to have Johnny agility that way, but I've described his skating and agility as lumbering a few times. So, basically, I'm not sure if I'm seeing it completely accurately. He does look a bit like Jagr out there. And his hands are super good. I'm just not sure he'll take that next step to a first or second line player with what I see as lacking agility/overall quickness. I could be wrong. Thoughts?

I think given the skills he has shown, a significant increase in agility would be scary. It's okay for a guy to have a weakness in his game, if that's what you're seeing.

But I wouldn't be too concerned, because this is his first NHL season, and if he never improves at all from this day forward, we still have an effective third-line centre. That is to say, how many games this season since the Janko/Bennett experiment started would we have said that our third line got outmatched? There really haven't been many. Janko seems to be a great competitor in the defensive end and he has the skill to burn teams in the offensive end. So right now, he's an effective NHL player. And given where he's at in his development, it would seem likely that any holes you see now would be things he's working on as we speak.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think given the skills he has shown, a significant increase in agility would be scary. It's okay for a guy to have a weakness in his game, if that's what you're seeing.

But I wouldn't be too concerned, because this is his first NHL season, and if he never improves at all from this day forward, we still have an effective third-line centre. That is to say, how many games this season since the Janko/Bennett experiment started would we have said that our third line got outmatched? There really haven't been many. Janko seems to be a great competitor in the defensive end and he has the skill to burn teams in the offensive end. So right now, he's an effective NHL player. And given where he's at in his development, it would seem likely that any holes you see now would be things he's working on as we speak.

Yeah, I don't want to take my thoughts to far because as you say, it's his first year with the big club. It was just some initial observations from me and probably part of that is due to unintentionally playing devil's advocate since most have been high on his play so far. I do think he's looked good overall, it was just the quickness and agility side of things I'm not too sure about. But it is early and I'm sure he's working on the speed/agility part of his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad