Injury Report: Thornton to IR

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Joe wants a cup, but clearly doesn't care about winning? Would he care on another team?
Am I missing something?

If SJ gets rid of #12 and 19, they won't win for years and years...
They will win with both in the line-ups...Just not in the post season.

Neither are definitive statements on his part. He's leaving room because he can't be certain. At least, that's my take on it. I just want to have confidence in whichever direction the team wants to go, there will be light at the end of the tunnel. It's tough to see that with the way they're situated right now.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
Yah, he has time, but it really depends on how Joe and Patty deal with the deadline this year. If DW doesn't add or sells, it's going to be made very clear to them that he isn't serious about winning right now, what will they do? If they stay, do we want them (because clearly winning isn't their top priority, etc)?

If DW adds at the deadline, and the Sharks fail again in the playoffs, does DW lose his job? If he doesn't, is even more pressure put on Thornton and Marleau than it was this off-season next off-season to waive? We know Thornton was pissed off about the whole thing, and about being stripped, that was made pretty clear, but how has that sat with him as the season has gone on? Does a new GM want rid of them from the outset? There are a lot of very realistic reasons either or both could still get moved.

The Sharks winning the cup is really the only easy answer to predict, but the least likely of outcomes.

As I've laid out before, I don't think Wilson will add at the deadline, I think that's just about as unlikely a scenario as a cup win. The team isn't performing well enough to even make it a tough decision for him. He's going to stand pat, or sell off parts as he has the last few seasons (Niemi at minimum, likely some mix of Kennedy, Sheppard, Brown, Desjardins, Scott, Hannen, Irwin). He's going to do that because I am fairly certain that last season Wilson stuck his neck out for a team that was performing well who then let him down in the worst way possible. I think it would be career suicide for him to do so again, and I think he already has a pre-approved plan to rebuild with Platner and is going to stick to it (for the sake of his job if nothing else). So what will Thornton or Marleau do? It will come down to where their priorities lie and whether Wilson commits to competing next season or not. If Wilson still has another rebuilding season planned I think Thornton probably waives, I think he wants a cup before he retires. Marleau is a bigger question mark. I think it's entirely conceivable he rides out his contract here and either re-signs for very little or retires early. That's all conjecture of course, but that's kind of what I expect.

Yup this year's trade deadline will show how serious DW is with the rebuild/retool. If he trades Niemi and/or Kennedy while we're still in the playoff hunt, then it's a pretty clear signal and we wait to see how the NMCers react. This could go on for two more seasons... Last call is the trade deadline in their final years. I would consider it a fluid situation (attendance vs youth movement vs long term team improvement).

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I'm expecting DW to try and do a pivot ala trading DM and Clowey in years before. Look for Niemi, TK, Irwin and even Desi/Shep to be dealt potentially. My guess for the latter is that they'll try to extend one, or both, and if they can't come to terms they'll deal them.

Shep is the biggest question mark. Funny, he's so great at everything... except scoring. My ideal spot for him would be centered the 4th line. Heck, my ideal 4th line is our 3rd line currently: Goodrow - Shep - Karlsson. I suppose that's the difference between elite depth and what we have...

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Shep is the biggest question mark. Funny, he's so great at everything... except scoring. My ideal spot for him would be centered the 4th line. Heck, my ideal 4th line is our 3rd line currently: Goodrow - Shep - Karlsson. I suppose that's the difference between elite depth and what we have...

I totally agree. We just need that replacement 3rd line center to run that line-up, as we have the forward depth to do so otherwise.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I'm hoping the team can add a legit top 6 forward (either wing or C) and the bring up Goldobin. Maybe target Saad with an offer sheet, or finally sign an impact top 6 UFA that isn't over the hill.

Something like:
Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Saad - Thornton - Pavelski
Wingels - Hertl - Goldobin
Melker - Sheppard - Goodrow

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'm expecting DW to try and do a pivot ala trading DM and Clowey in years before. Look for Niemi, TK, Irwin and even Desi/Shep to be dealt potentially. My guess for the latter is that they'll try to extend one, or both, and if they can't come to terms they'll deal them.

Yeah, but who wants to rent Niemi giving his contract status and he's not had that kind of a year one expects in the twlight of their current contract?

Irwin, TK, Desi and Sheppard are low return guys as well. I would expect a swap with another low return player plus a 3rd round or something for the better ones on that list. The value is in Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, Burns, and Braun. Of that core, I would only want to see Marleau or Thornton go for a first round if DW is rebuilding.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, but who wants to rent Niemi giving his contract status and he's not had that kind of a year one expects in the twlight of their current contract?

Irwin, TK, Desi and Sheppard are low return guys as well. I would expect a swap with another low return player plus a 3rd round or something for the better ones on that list. The value is in Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, Burns, and Braun. Of that core, I would only want to see Marleau or Thornton go for a first round if DW is rebuilding.

Chances are if the Sharks want to deal Niemi, it will be a playoff team that suffers an injury to their starter and it'll be out East too. Right now, there really isn't anyone with an opening except for Minnesota.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

I was going to respond to this but PF beat me to the punch. Most likely a playoff shoe-in who has a goalie injury or a goalie battling a chronic injury would be interested in Niemi, as he isn't a great goal tender but he is one of the few "rentals" that offer you a decent shot at winning each night.

Regarding the other players like TK, Shep, Desi, etc, we would probably ship them off to the highest bidder looking for picks/prospects. In the case of players like Shep and Desi who I suspect there is at least some interest of resigning, I'd bet they try to extend the contract and in the event of no deal being achieved they start wheelin and dealin.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

I used to be a huge critic of Sheppard, but now see that he gives 100% all the time and is usually paired with ingers who can't help him score. That being said, give him the puck within 6-8 feet of the goal and some time and he's going to score.......

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 4m4 minutes ago

Thornton reveals it is, in fact, a shoulder injury #SJSharks

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 1m1 minute ago

Thornton: “Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get up, and it’s much better, and play Saturday. That’s what I’m hoping right now.” #SJSharks

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I'm hoping the team can add a legit top 6 forward (either wing or C) and the bring up Goldobin. Maybe target Saad with an offer sheet, or finally sign an impact top 6 UFA that isn't over the hill.

Something like:
Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Saad - Thornton - Pavelski
Wingels - Hertl - Goldobin
Melker - Sheppard - Goodrow

How are you getting Saad? Braun? Dillon? Vlasic? Desjardins? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad