"Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski just didn't care..." - Ridiculous Narrative

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You guys honestly believe these players didn't care? You think, after working so hard to get to the finals, these guys just decided not to care? Perhaps, they have a secret society, similar to the illuminati, where they gather together to decide whether or not they want to win the series? The first 3, they decided to win. But this one, they suddenly made the decision to give up and not try anymore?

You really think that these players care less than you do? You really think that you care about Joe Thornton winning a cup more than Joe Thornton cares about winning one? Ridiculous. All of us, we live lives outside of hockey; we have our own jobs, our own friends, our own activities, etc. For these guys, hockey is their life. They are all best friends with one another. These guys care more about winning than we could ever imagine. There is absolutely no way that after 3 rounds of putting it all on the line to win, Pavelski, Thornton, and Marleau just decided to give up. Absolutely ridiculous notion that is in no way based in reality. Want some reality? Here goes.

THORNTON AND PAVELSKI DO NOT PRODUCE AGAINST ELITE TEAMS. THORNTON AND PAVELSKI DO NOT PRODUCE AGAINST ELITE TEAMS. THORNTON AND PAVELSKI DO NOT PRODUCE AGAINST ELITE TEAMS. THORNTON AND PAVELSKI DO NOT PRODUCE AGAINST ELITE TEAMS.

The Sharks were fortunate to draw 3 relatively weak opponents in the first 3 rounds. A crippled and decimated Los Angeles team that seemed to have injuries to their top players. A young up and coming Nashville team whose top 2 defensemen both decided to begin playing like garbage. And then the St. Louis Blues...that one speaks for itself. The Pens were a completely different story: an elite team!

Pavelski, 1 point, an ENG in this whole series. Thornton 3 assists in 6 games. Pretty inexcusable. But this is pretty consistent from these two.

In fact, in every series loss the Sharks have had since 2008-2009, he has scored 3 goals...1 of them being an ENG, the other 2 against LA in 2014. That's 3 goals in 41 games. 1 goal on a manned net. IN HALF OF A SEASON. This is a guy that will **** around and score 41 goals in a season, with 1 goal on a manned net in half a season. Why? Poor luck, most certainly; he has definitely suffered from some poor playoff luck. But, you know what else caused that? PAVELSKI DOES NOT PRODUCE AGAINST ELITE TEAMS. Against Dallas in 07-08 he had 2 goals in 6 and 0 in 3 against Detroit. Add those games, that's 5 goals in 50 games, 4 on a manned net. Say it with me folks. JOE PAVELSKI DOES NOT PRODUCE AGAINST ELITE TEAMS. He is a fantastic leader. A great captain. A solid two-way player. But he does NOT produce against elite teams. He never has, and it is highly unlikely that he ever will. Expecting him to be the primary threat in the playoffs will get you very far against poor teams. He will light up an Avalanche team that doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. A Detroit team that is completely past its prime that is beginning to lose it all. A Vancouver team that is doing more or less the same. An LA team that is doing more or less the same. A St. Louis team that has a great defense on paper but doesn't have one in reality and that flip flops between goaltenders twice in a series. A Nashville team with Weber and Josi playing like the new Dillon and Polak. But he does not score against elite teams.

Thornton...there's a reason people refer to him as a playoff choker. It's because he is one. I know in the past I have defended him, but ultimately, I must come to terms with it. Thornton is a playoff choker. His production drops significantly in the playoffs. He has never been over PPG in a playoff run. It's not that the pressure gets to him and he suddenly reverts to a lesser version of himself. It's that he cannot produce against elite teams either, and he does not do well in a playoff style game. Yes, I am flip flopping, being wishy washy, etc. on this one, but it's simply the truth. I love Thornton but his playoff production is not what it should be. In fact, the only series we've lost where Thornton played well was against STL in 2012, and that's not really an elite team in all honesty. 40 points in 58 games in series that we have lost. That's not terrible, in fact, it's actually pretty good compared to Pavelski. And considering that series that we've lost will be inherently skewed data, it's solid production. But, when you consider how he has produced in the regular season as a Shark, his pace in that number of regular season games would probably be like 65 or 70.

To suggest that he genuinely does not care is absurd. These players all play with a lot of passion. They all care. They eat, sleep, breathe hockey. They will wake up tomorrow morning with the most painful hangover they have ever suffered, regardless of whether or not they decide to drink. But Pavelski and Thornton do not produce against elite teams. Thornton has done it a few times. Pavelski never has.

EDIT: Forgot Marleau but he has produced before against elite teams and in series that we've lost. He just sucks now and is completely done for whatever reason. It certainly seems like something is wrong with him mentally. He is no longer an elite player or even a core player on this team at this stage.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Crosby had as many points as Thornton....

Pavelski was clearly hurt.

Both guys produced against very good teams leading into this series. The team as a whole got outplayed here.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
So only the Penguins were good? You realize we were playing in the SCF right?

Only one team can win and we weren't that team. It's unfortunate, but this was an excellent season from everyone all things considered.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So only the Penguins were good? You realize we were playing in the SCF right?

Only one team can win and we weren't that team. It's unfortunate, but this was an excellent season from everyone all things considered.

The problem is that we are the Sharks and have acquired the choker tag. I don't think it would have mattered if we would have got swept or lost the 7th game in OT. As far as the fans (mostly of other teams) go, once a choker always a choker. Its ridiculous.

There can be only one winner in a series. Despite the refereeing **** show, the Pens were the better team on the ice.

hockeyfan55

Nov 24, 2009
So when the blues shut down most of the stars for the blackhawks and Stars i guess they werent elite. Or when Nashville shut down the ducks top line they werent good either?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So when the blues shut down most of the stars for the blackhawks and Stars i guess they werent elite. Or when Nashville shut down the ducks top line they werent good either?

The Blackhawks were a decimated team this year and still took the Blues to 7. Stars had bottom-5 goaltending in the NHL and took the Blues to 7.

Getzlaf and Perry are playoff chokers and Rinne stood on his head and didn't do that against us.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
bizarro-jerry-seinfeld.png

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Marleau is a depth player at this point, and I think that he produced like one. Yes, he is overpaid, but he met my expectations.

The Joes were awesome in the first 3 series, but they got absolutely shut down by the Pens. I give Pittsburgh a ton of credit for that...just like I give the Sharks a ton of credit for shutting down Tarasenko, Schwartz, Toffoli, Kopitar, Forsberg, Johansen, etc.

I am definitely disappointed that the Joes had a really poor series, However, I actually am a lot more disappointed with Burns' performance. The Joes were shut down by the Penguins. Burns in my appearance had an awful series because of his own mistakes.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The only one of those three I have any questions about is Marleau. I hate that that's the case but it is.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Do you know who else has never been a point per game player in the playoffs?

Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Jesus Toews
Anze Kopitar
Corey Perry
Steve ****ing Yzerman

and that's just like 5 minutes of me punching in random names of guys with reps for playoff performance into hockeydb.

I guess they couldn't be counted on when the chips were down either...

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Do you know who else has never been a point per game player in the playoffs?

Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Jesus Toews
Anze Kopitar
Corey Perry
Steve ****ing Yzerman

and that's just like 5 minutes of me punching in random names of guys with reps for playoff performance into hockeydb.

I guess they couldn't be counted on when the chips were down either...

To be fair, MA said "in a playoff run", not career. All of those players have had multiple over-PPG post-seasons.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The team as a whole got outplayed here.

Key word is here is outplayed. And that's it in a nutshell, that's what happened this series.

For the most part, everyone on Pittsburgh just simply outplayed everyone on the Sharks. The rare case in which that isn't completely accurate is in goal. Jones was the better goaltender in this series, just as Vasilevskiy was the better goaltender in the last series. But Pittsburgh outplayed them too, and they also won that series.

Like I said, I'd only gives Jones and Couture A's on the team for this series alone. Jones gets an A+ and Couture gets an A from me.

I wouldn't give too many F's either though. Polak, Dillon, Martin, Wingels, I'd probably give them F's for this series. Everybody else gets mostly in the C range and maybe a couple D+. Pavelski probably should get an F or a D- at the absolute best. Although I would be surprised if he isn't getting surgery on something. Even if we're told he's not, I won't believe it.

Karlsson gets a B for jumping in and playing well when replacing Hertl. Hertl probably gets an A for his 2 games. He was the best player in the first two, other than Jones.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think Wingels should've played more. I don't think anyone failed. No one dogged it or quit. A for effort, D in execution.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Clearly something was wrong with him. I think he's shoulder never healed. (Speculation not an excuse).

He was really good against St. Louis and had moments against the Pens. I get why PDB shortened the bench but I would have thrown Wingels out to cause some chaos.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I think I know pavelskis injury, early onset alszimers. The most obvious choice as he obviously forgot how to play hockey.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
patty and thornton dont. happy go lucky nice people, fierce clutch champions not even close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad