Speculation: Thomas's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He hasn’t even been healthy, he’s dealt with nagging injuries.

JR reported the Blues challenged him to train better this Summer and he heard that he’s been taking it seriously.

Giving up on him now would be dumb. He’s had 2 good seasons and one down year. If he has another bad season then sure whatever, listen to offers or options next Summer. But give him a chance this year, him and Kyrou is the type of youth and speed that we need to start building around.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He hasn’t even been healthy, he’s dealt with nagging injuries.

JR reported the Blues challenged him to train better this Summer and he heard that he’s been taking it seriously.

Giving up on him now would be dumb. He’s had 2 good seasons and one down year. If he has another bad season then sure whatever, listen to offers or options next Summer. But give him a chance this year, him and Kyrou is the type of youth and speed that we need to start building around.

I don't think anyone is ready to give up on Thomas at this point, but he's certainly not untouchable. We should know by the end of this year if Thomas has the drive and ability to be a legit top 6 option or if he'll settle in as a solid middle 6 guy.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Even if he is just a solid middle 6 guy with flashes of wasted potential, that is still a useful player if he is paid appropriately. That is basically Bozak and people are pumped we brought him back. But if Thomas only turns out to be that, we need to ship him out asap? The calculation is the same for every player on all trades. If your team is better off after the trade, make it. Otherwise don't.

Obviously there is a time component to better as a trade can make you worse now but better in the future. "Better" depends on the goals of the organization, as present and future always needs to be balanced against each other. If someone offers a package for Thomas that makes us better aligned to achieve our teams goals, he is available. If they don't, then he isn't.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Let’s not forget, in 19-20 after his slow start in October, he was on a 58 point pace from November until the season ended in March. Injuries ruined last season, and I’d be willing to bet he finally has his full on “breakout” year this year.

6C05B57C-D685-49BC-BF8B-79048ADF03E2.jpeg

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Let’s not forget, in 19-20 after his slow start in October, he was on a 58 point pace from November until the season ended in March. Injuries ruined last season, and I’d be willing to bet he finally has his full on “breakout” year this year.

View attachment 465130
I share your optimism that he has a great chance of breaking out this year. If I were him, I think I'd be looking for a 1 year deal at this point. A 2 year deal in the high 2s would have made sense for him, but that does not appear to be an option. At this point, I think his best bet is to get the most money possible on a 1 year deal and play himself to a big raise with arbitration eligibility next summer.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I share your optimism that he has a great chance of breaking out this year. If I were him, I think I'd be looking for a 1 year deal at this point. A 2 year deal in the high 2s would have made sense for him, but that does not appear to be an option. At this point, I think his best bet is to get the most money possible on a 1 year deal and play himself to a big raise with arbitration eligibility next summer.
I don't remember who his agent is, nor do I pretend to know how much trust truly exists between agents and GMs, but I could see a scenario where they bring him back on a one year team friendly deal with the assurance that they will extend him again after January 1, either with a much richer two year deal or a much, much richer long-term extension depending on how he is performing in the first couple of months of the season.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I don't remember who his agent is, nor do I pretend to know how much trust truly exists between agents and GMs, but I could see a scenario where they bring him back on a one year team friendly deal with the assurance that they will extend him again after January 1, either with a much richer two year deal or a much, much richer long-term extension depending on how he is performing in the first couple of months of the season.
they'd have to have the cap space to do that, right?

and does the Yamamoto/EDM signing affect this situation at all?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Why can’t they give him a games played incentive bonus like they gave Bozak?

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
So they can give Thomas roughly 2.3 mil due to Sunny going on LTIR? Then when Sunny returns, we’ll have to trade somebody unless there’s another injury?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
So they can give Thomas roughly 2.3 mil due to Sunny going on LTIR? Then when Sunny returns, we’ll have to trade somebody unless there’s another injury?
so, IF I have this correct, the Blues currently have just under 1.5 in cap space. Sunny's cap hit is 2.75

so they could sign RT to ~3m with Sunny on LTIR, but when he's ready to come back, some finagling would have to occur, like a Sanford trade that would free up ~2m which would still leave them ~.5 under the cap...

that's IF I have my math right.. good chance I don't lol

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d hate to lose Sanford. Really good 3rd liner who’s been forced into top 6 duties too often. But I don’t really see any other options. I’d like to get a 2nd rounder for him.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I’d hate to lose Sanford. Really good 3rd liner who’s been forced into top 6 duties too often. But I don’t really see any other options. I’d like to get a 2nd rounder for him.
I think a 2nd is about right for him. I won't go into a Sanford rant but he seems to be the obvious candidate to move with Kostin appearing to be ready. the only other one might be Barby, but I def don't wanna lose him

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think a 2nd is about right for him. I won't go into a Sanford rant but he seems to be the obvious candidate to move with Kostin appearing to be ready. the only other one might be Barby, but I def don't wanna lose him

Definitely don’t want to lose Barby

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

No way they move barbashev for cap reasons when they protected him in the expansion draft.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
No way they move barbashev for cap reasons when they protected him in the expansion draft.
just throwing a name out there that would have enough salary for that hypothetical situation. itd have to be a bottom 6 kinda guy I would think

but no, I don't want Barby goin anywhere

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I know it’s not an internal comp (that’s Kyrou), but Yamamoto signed 1 year for 1.175, waaay under the 3-4 predicted, just like what’s predicted for RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad