Speculation: Thomas's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
They have 5 2nds this year.
Even so, parting with one of them for Sanford doesn’t make much sense for Arizona. They’re in full rebuild mode and Sanford I believe is a UFA at the end of the season so he probably wouldn’t even stay.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Even so, parting with one of them for Sanford doesn’t make much sense for Arizona. They’re in full rebuild mode and Sanford I believe is a UFA at the end of the season so he probably wouldn’t even stay.
correct

Sanford to AZ is not a bad idea. He can fetch a 2nd. The Coyotes need to ice a somewhat respectable NHL team and not run out a complete crap. Having a Stanley Cup Champ who scored a huge goal in Game 7 is kind of a big deal.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I’m sure they could flip him for a 2nd at the TDL

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That may be true, but I was simply responding to the suggestion that their 2nd would be too high for his value. IF they wanted to deal for him, Coyotes have lots of picks to choose from.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think a Sanford trade probably ends up being quite similar to what we traded for Yakupov, a conditional 3rd that upgrades to a 2nd if a certain point/goal total is reached.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So at this point, trading Sanford (or anyone) for a pick doesn’t really make sense unless you can really get a steal from someone (which is highly unlikely at this point in the year because nobody is desperate yet).

We don’t have to make any moves until Sundqvist comes back, which is probably in November at the earliest.

We saw what happened last year with injuries. We look very deep right now and we should keep that depth as long as possible.

Reactions: BlueMed

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
So at this point, trading Sanford (or anyone) for a pick doesn’t really make sense unless you can really get a steal from someone (which is highly unlikely at this point in the year because nobody is desperate yet).

We don’t have to make any moves until Sundqvist comes back, which is probably in November at the earliest.

We saw what happened last year with injuries. We look very deep right now and we should keep that depth as long as possible.

That was my point. The trade would happen when Sunny comes back

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
correct

Sanford to AZ is not a bad idea. He can fetch a 2nd. The Coyotes need to ice a somewhat respectable NHL team and not run out a complete crap. Having a Stanley Cup Champ who scored a huge goal in Game 7 is kind of a big deal.
Hard disagree. They have made it painfully obvious that they are in a full blown, tear-it-down rebuild. They are doing everything they can to get the highest draft pick possible this summer.

Their goalie tandem is Carter Hutton and Josef Korenar. Those two combined for 4 wins and 19 starts last season. Both were sub-.900 SV% goalies and Hutton has ben sub-.900 in each of the last 2 seasons. They have traded away multiple NHLers for pure futures and the NHL guys they have acquired were pure cap dumps where teams gave Arizona picks. Moreover, they don't have a rink to play in after the upcoming season. There is a very real chance that they are playing in a college building that seats 5,500 people for 2022-23. Or that they move. They have struggled to fill their current building even when they are decent and no other team has less incentive to grow the local fanbase at the moment.

It makes zero sense for them to trade a futures asset just to acquire a 1 year stop-gap to be slightly more respectable this season.

Reactions: Stealth JD

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Hard disagree. They have made it painfully obvious that they are in a full blown, tear-it-down rebuild. They are doing everything they can to get the highest draft pick possible this summer.

Their goalie tandem is Carter Hutton and Josef Korenar. Those two combined for 4 wins and 19 starts last season. Both were sub-.900 SV% goalies and Hutton has ben sub-.900 in each of the last 2 seasons. They have traded away multiple NHLers for pure futures and the NHL guys they have acquired were pure cap dumps where teams gave Arizona picks. Moreover, they don't have a rink to play in after the upcoming season. There is a very real chance that they are playing in a college building that seats 5,500 people for 2022-23. Or that they move. They have struggled to fill their current building even when they are decent and no other team has less incentive to grow the local fanbase at the moment.

It makes zero sense for them to trade a futures asset just to acquire a 1 year stop-gap to be slightly more respectable this season.
Fair enough

Reactions: stl76

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I’m starting to think a Sanford to ARZ deal is coming

I know the Blues were trying to trade Sanford during last season, but I'd be surprised if we will trade him to Arizona, despite the Bill Armstrong-connection and him playing a big part in Sanford's trade from Washington to St.Louis. Brian is spot on why Arizona isn't a logical tradepartner: The Coyotes are in a full rebuild and want to finish last, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to spend assets for Sanford, who is basicly a rental for them unless it's a 1-for-1 deal for a rosterplayer without a future in ARZ.

But I'm curious:, I think you're one of the more knowledgeable posters on the Blues forum, why did you specifically think of Arizona as an exchange partner? To me, without knowing their specific roster situation, I'm more looking at teams like the Flyers, the Bruins, the Caps, the Oilers or the Pens.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I know the Blues were trying to trade Sanford during last season, but I'd be surprised if we will trade him to Arizona, despite the Bill Armstrong-connection and him playing a big part in Sanford's trade from Washington to St.Louis. Brian is spot on why Arizona isn't a logical tradepartner: The Coyotes are in a full rebuild and want to finish last, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to spend assets for Sanford, who is basicly a rental for them unless it's a 1-for-1 deal for a rosterplayer without a future in ARZ.

But I'm curious:, I think you're one of the more knowledgeable posters on the Blues forum, why did you specifically think of Arizona as an exchange partner? To me, without knowing their specific roster situation, I'm more looking at teams like the Flyers, the Bruins, the Caps, the Oilers or the Pens.
I had a very surface level thought process.

Sanford is a young big bodied fwd with hands. Maybe they think he can be a long term middle 6 fwd for them and give Keller a finisher a play with? Thinking bargain bin shopping for a 3rd rd pick is worth it for them.
I don’t think Sanford moves the needle much in the win/loss column this year

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I had a very surface level thought process.

Sanford is a young big bodied fwd with hands. Maybe they think he can be a long term middle 6 fwd for them and give Keller a finisher a play with? Thinking bargain bin shopping for a 3rd rd pick is worth it for them.
I don’t think Sanford moves the needle much in the win/loss column this year
I can't imagine that Arizona is going to be fun this year. They and Buffalo have two of the worst goalie tandems in the cap era and are both clearly trying to finish last. I expect crowds to once again be small, they are going to lose a ton of games, and the arena they are playing in won't be their rink next year. Most of the things you would generally use to try and 'sell' your team on a potential rent-to-own player either don't exist in Arizona or are negatives. If they like him as a long-term middle 6 guy, I think they would be better off overpaying for him by $1M or so as a UFA next summer than trying to trade for him and then sell him on staying. Given our roster construction, Sanford isn't going to break out and earn a big UFA payout. If he gets traded, it is likely to a team where he can play an expanded tole, but for a team who is poor enough that he isn't going to get many "passenger" points. An overpay for him in UFA probably isn't going to be much more than $3M on a 2-3 year deal.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
well-waiting.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad